Friday, June 30, 2023

Six months down, six to go!

And just like that... the year's half over! Can you believe it? Tomorrow marks the first day of July and the beginning of the second half of 2023. I really can't say much good about the first half of the year so here's hoping the second is better! Anyway, it's been one busy, busy month. As always there has been some good and some bad happenings in my world. Both, have led to very little stitching time, though, and I only have one teeny-tiny finish to share with you today which is my Christmas ornament for July. If it looks familiar--yes, I've stitched it before. But, it was stitched way back in 2011 and given away as a Christmas gift. 

I'd never forgotten that sweet Jeannette Douglas design (from the 2011 Just Cross Stitch ornament issue) and decided this busy month would be the perfect time to stitch it for myself. It measures a mere 2 inches by 3 1/2 inches and will be perfect for hanging near the top of my Christmas tree where I like to place the smallest ornaments. This only took me one day to stitch up and the following day, the purple beads were added and I made it into a little pillow. The fabric wasn't my favorite--a mystery 32 ct. gray linen that was very floppy. I prefer my linen to be stiffer. There was some 'over one' stitching including the word "Noel" and the tiny chickadee in the upper right corner.

"Noel Stamp" ornament finish for June

Here is a closer look at the cute chickadee and some of the purple Mill Hill beads. I finished this one very simply with some purple cording in DMC 3740 and then added a bit of black and white checked ribbon in the left corner. I was going to go with purple ribbon, but decided I liked the way the black and white picked up the colors of the bird.

Look how adorable that tiny chickadee is!

So, there you have it--six months of ornaments down, six to go! Time to look through my ornament charts and pick out my next design. I have an entire folder full of smaller Christmas charts that I'd like to stitch as ornaments one day, so it makes it easy.

What else kept me busy this month? Who knows what this stack is?

I'm going to be busy with framing!

I've been framed!  I finally took the time to measure some of my finishes and order frames for them. I've gotten a bit more confident with my framing through the years and have decided to tackle more of my framing myself. Oh, I'll still send out the most special pieces for professional framing, but many I'll be attempting to do myself. I've ordered this bunch of frames from Franken Frames online and I'm very happy with what I received. Each one was precisely made to my exact measurements (within 1/16th of an inch!) and the whole turn around time took under took two weeks. Franken Frames has some great sales and this one was for 30% off the frames plus half price shipping. They also send out free samples (1-2" lengths) upon request making it easy to decide what frame will do justice to your finished stitching. For these seven custom-made frames I paid just $70 plus $24 shipping. Isn't that great?

Seven new custom-made frames just waiting for my cross stitch.

You can tell I really liked this particular style as I ordered three frames in various sizes. It is such a pretty moulding and I think some of the fall Prairie Schooler pieces that I've stitched will look perfect in them. No, I'm not being compensated by Franken Frames in the least--I just think a good company deserves recognition and I love that they're made right here in the U.S.A. Their communications and customer service were both excellent. I will definitely be ordering again... Check them out if you need any new frames!

Won't these be lovely filled with autumn-themed stitching?

And do you see the silvery frame on the right front corner in the picture of all seven frames? It's already been matched with a piece of stitching from last year. I stitched "All American" by Primrose Cottage Stitchers last summer with the best of intentions of framing it and giving it to my oldest son and his family for the Fourth of July 2022. But... you know how that goes! So, I was thrilled when I noticed that this frame fit that piece of stitching perfectly. You see, I had actually ordered that particular frame for another piece, but it was just too heavy looking for the delicate stitching in that one. Thankfully, this worked out just fine and I can't wait to give it to my son, daughter-in-law, and grandson next week! If you'd like to read about the details of this patriotic piece, please check out my post from July 2, 2022 because I did make a few changes.

I framed "All American" yesterday and it will be going to its new home next week.

When I stitch framed pieces and give them as gifts, I like to cover the back of the frame with a pretty scrapbook paper. I then add little tags that I've created online to the back to make the gift even more special. (This one has July 2022 as the date because that is when I actually stitched it).

The little label that I made for the back of "All American"


Giveaway winner... my last bit of stitching news is to announce the winner of the Patriotic Angel chart which I offered last time. Thank you to all who entered and answered the "Getting To Know You" question--it was fun reading about your favorite foods (and I applaud many of you who seem to be much healthier eaters than I)! The winner's name pulled from the hat this time is...

Catherine

Congratulations to Catherine--you are the winner of "Patriotic Angel"

Congratulations, Catherine! You are the winner of this beautiful angel chart--can't wait to see her all stitched up. Please send me your mailing address (my email is in my sidebar under "View My Complete Profile") and I'll pop the chart in the mail to you early next week! 

 

RIP dear Honda CRV--you served me well for 13 years.

So, I mentioned some bad happenings in my life this month and the worst is that my 2010 Honda CRV is gone. It was recalled by Honda for rust underneath the chassis so we took it into the repair shop two weeks ago. Little did I know that that was the final time I would be driving that car. When the repair shop examined it, they deemed it unfixable--apparently I'd been driving around in a death trap for who knows how long! The suspension could have just completely broken or fallen out at any time the rust was so bad! We were very upset as the car (in our eyes) was in excellent shape. It had never been in an accident, the interior and (what we could see of) the exterior was perfect. I drive so little these days that we had planned on keeping it as long as possible because it was doing just fine. Or so we thought... Honda said they will be "buying back" the car from us, but we've received (after a full two weeks!) absolutely no information as to how much they'll be giving us. The whole process is very frustrating to say the least.

Whatever the amount, it won't be enough money to compensate for losing a car that we had expected to keep for several more years. All those memories... a car that had safely carried me through 11 years of 600-mile round-trip travels to visit my mom and dad in New York as their health was declining, a car that had seen us make many trips to the beach and to visit colleges with our sons, a car that I was truly comfortable with and didn't want to lose. I am one of those folks who hates change and to have to purchase a new car at this point in my life is upsetting. Whatever we end up with, it will, most likely, be my last car as we tend to keep our cars for years and years. I'll keep you posted... And for all of you Honda CRV owners (years 2007 to 2011 models), please be aware of this recall. For more information, you can read this article.

Cough, cough... We've been dealing with terrible smoky air from the Canadian wildfires again this week; in fact Pittsburgh was one of the worst cities in the world for air quality over the past two days. The entire state was issued a "Code Red" warning and yesterday morning the reading from the Environmental Protection Agency was 247--even worse than the Code Red warning! 


The main thing I noticed over the past few days was the smell... Not a smoky smell, but a distinct odor of chemicals in the air. The retired librarian in me kicked in and I did a bit of research... Apparently, the smoke from the wildfires includes Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) that interact with UV radiation. When this interaction occurs benzene and formaldehyde compounds are created in the atmosphere, toxic air pollutants that can be very hazardous to human and animal health. And the smell that is created when this happens is one of chemicals and plastic. Very sad to think that this might be a problem we'll be dealing with for a while... They say the Canadian wildfires will be burning all summer. Needless to say, I've stayed inside with the windows closed. I did venture out to check on the garden and had to come inside after a mere 5 minutes as my eyes started to burn.

I always try to end my posts on a positive note, though... We so enjoyed our grandson's visits this month--Mister B was here for a total of 10 days over two visits. On this last visit we took him to a local farmer's market (twice!) where the photo below was taken. He absolutely adores animals and he  loved feeding the baby goat and seeing the gigantic black and white pig that reside there. What you can't see in the photo below is that, with his other hand, he is holding his nose--he may have loved the goats and pigs, but he sure didn't enjoy their odor! It was so funny!

Mister B feeding the baby goat at a local farm market

I hope all of my U.S. friends have a relaxing and fun Fourth of July on Tuesday. We are going to be getting a lot of rain over the next four days so I hope to find more time to stitch. Thank you for stopping by today and for saying "hello" in your emails and comments! I really appreciate hearing from each one of you.  Hope July is a good month for all!  Bye for now...

32 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

The frames you purchased are beautiful and I really like the one you bought in multiples, Carol. Such a pretty molding! Thank you for sharing the frame company. Too funny about Mr. B's love for animals, but not their stink. I am sorry to hear about your car. But really relieved that you haven't been hurt while driving. Your June ornament is a beauty. Enjoy your Friday and weekend!

Sandy said...

Awww, sweet little B holding his nose. I kinda understand his dilemma. I like the animals, but not the smell.
I too am one to hold onto a car a long time. I had an Expedition once that we had saved for and were so proud of. The kids were in middle school when we got it and they were happy to arrive at school in style instead of clunkers:) I kept it forever and loved it. It was probably 9 years old when someone pulled out in front of me and it was totaled. I was devastated. I really didn't want to go back to a smaller vehicle after that and those Expeditions are out of sight pricey, so I told Jeff I wanted a truck. So a truck driving girl I have been for 8 years and no plans to get rid of it. I hope you get something you like and yes, hold onto it. I hate changing up as well.
The ornament is so cute. I need to pick out my July ornament. I have had little time this month, but it is life isn't it.
I hate the smoke is keeping y'all indoors, but probably a wise choice.

marly said...

Good luck on car shopping. Too many options and each one feels different.

Seeing your little guy reminds us how quickly time is passing. So funny about the nose pinching!

I do need to check those frames, will keep an eye out for that sale.

A simple and lovely ornament. I like to see a different color for Christmas and this purple is perfect.

Be safe!

Stasi said...

Carol, Thanks for the info on the frame company..always a good thing to have in the back of your mind if/when needed.
Your June ornament is so sweet! I need to revisit my JCS ornament issues.
We had a similar thing happen to a car back in the late 80's. We intended to keep it awhile and had it painted. Then we took it for its state inspection and found put the whole underside was rusted out. Not what we wanted to hear, but we always joke that it was probably the best looking car in the junk yard!!!
Mr B. is getting so big..time really does fly!
Have a good 4th and hope the smoke eases up soon!!!

Alhana said...

The first half of the year has flown by indeed! Nevertheless you have found time to stitch your monthly ornament and what a simple beauty it is! I never attempted framing so I'll pay extra attention to your upcoming posts for any tips you could share, as my first big cross-stitch work is to be finished soon. :-)

Hope you have a nice 4th of July with your family, even if indoors due to the smoking and/or rain. Please be careful!

Mary G said...

Hi Carol-
Happy 4th of July to you! Thank you so much for all the time and effort you put into your wonderful blog posts. I have been a faithful follower for a very long time and appreciate all your beautiful stitching, news, and photos you share with us. I am always so inspired after reading your posts and enjoy seeing your lovely pieces and how you finish your work. The frames you recently purchased are great! I am looking forward to seeing your framed finishes in future posts. 🪡🧵❤️

Heritage Hall said...

Great frame purchases and that Fourth gift is a winner to be treasured.
Thank you for the frame information.Sorry about the smoke...pollution seems to accompany so-called progress. My, Mr. B is growing tall. Hope you can
resolve getting another care with ease. I pray mine, in grand condition, lives on for some time.(if it ain't broke, don't fix it.. Have a splendid holiday...

Anonymous said...

Hi Carol,

Your ornament is really sweet and such pretty muted colors! I stitched another Jeanette Douglas ornament from one of the ornament issues and love the over one!
I had to comment when I saw your car. I had the exact 2010 blue Honda CRV and it was an amazing car. All we really had to do for it was basic maintenance and new tires. When Covid hit and my husband was working from home used cars were at a premium. So we sold it and now share my 2016 teal blue CRV. It only has 50,000 miles on it so we hope to keep it for a while. They are such good cars and being in Arizona, there isn’t the issue with rust.
I’m sorry so much of the northeast is dealing with smoke from Canada! These wildfires seem to happen more often each year🥲. I hope the rain helps clear the air for you.
On a happier note, have a Happy 4th of July weekend and enjoy some stitching time! Laurie

Faith... said...

Oh no regarding the car. Someone was looking over you and protected you from anything bad happening while you guys were driving it. I hope they make you a fair offer for the car but either way there is probably not much you can do about the offer.

I am with Mr. B on the smell of the animals! They are stinky but they are also fun to be around.

The frames are gorgeous and the All American piece looks great in that frame. Love your little tags too. Do you have them for all different occasions? Love the Noel piece you stitched up.

Sorry about the Air Quality but I am sure Canada is desperately trying to get that fire put out. It sounds terrible but it is just so awful and large. Maybe you can send them some of the rain you are expecting?

Enjoy your holiday and the family time! Stay safe if you are driving!

Jill said...

Hi Carol, Yes, it’s hard the year is half gone. The frames you received are very well packaged. Good for you improving on framing techniques and can now do the everyday framing. Last year’s 4th of July project is wonderfully patriotic. Now it’s complete and ready for hanging in its new home. It’s terribly sad about the Canadian fires. The Detroit area has been affected as well. Everyday the air quality alert is extended. Shopping for a new vehicle can be a shore. Understandably, although you will miss your previous car, you may be pleasantly surprised by some of the new technology. You were fortunate the vehicle held up. Visits from Mr. B certainly brightened your month of June. Happy stitching when it rains.

Gabi said...

Hi Carol, sorry to hear about your loss of your car. Oh my, I can understand. It would be a tragic to loose my car. I have it now for 15 year and I LOVE it! When I saw it first my thought was... this car is made for me and it cost my husband some nervs. Well I drive it as lond as I can and hope it will be still very long.
Lovely picture from Mr. B. All kids love animals but not the stink. Hahaha.
Your stitching is adorable as always.
Wish you all the best for the second half of the year.
Best wishes, Gabi

Marilyn said...

Oooo, that is such a cute finish.
My favorite bird is the little Chickadee, I am in love with the little over 1 guy on your stitched piece, so cute!
Those frames look really nice, thanks for the link.
The silver frame looks great on the Patriotic piece.
I'm so sorry to hear about your car, we get attached to them, don't we?
The smoke is bad here too, Tuesday & yesterday being the worst.
It's actually kind of eerie outside.
We still are in drought here, hasn't rained in about 2 months, the lawns are so brown.
Mr. B is too cute, he's getting so big! :)
Have a fun weekend Carol!
Marilyn

Kgirl said...

Sweet B! What joy he brings. We need to purchase a new car soon, but I'm dragging my feet. My youngest will be driving soon so we will need an additional car. I dislike car payments and car shopping. I'll be interested to see what you purchase. Thanks for sharing!

Isabel para ALROMASAR said...

What a beautiful embroidery, Carol!
It has been perfect for you.
I have also loved seeing how you frame your work and how your grandson has grown.
I wish you a happy 4th of July and I hope the air is more breathable over there.
As you know, I live in Seville and this week we have had grayish skies as a result of that smoke from the Canadian fires that the wind has carried to Spain...it's incredible!

A hug my friend

Anonymous said...

We also keep our cars for many years, usually 20, as we take very good care. Suggestion: we bought our last 2 cars at the end of the model year, and so purchased a “new” car for 70% less than original price! Last one had just 17,000 miles—that’s just broken in for us!
We now have over 200,000 miles on it, & it’s very well cared for. Just a suggestion. Our last 4 cars were purchased this way.

Anonymous said...

So sorry about your CRV. We have a 2010 also and love it very much. I can understand how devastating it is. Could you tell me if you add glass to your framed pieces? Those frames are very nice.

Georgia said...

Hi Carol, I really enjoyed reading your blog post today. And, I absolutely loved your little Chickadee. I looked thru my stash and found the pattern:) It is adorable. I am anxious to see how your framing goes, I have been wanting to do more of my own framing, but don't quite have the self confidence just yet. Mr. B is getting so big! I am glad he enjoys the animals, he has a tender heart. And, thank you so much for sharing about the air quality. It has just been hazey in our area, but it is still in the air. Your information was interesting, thank you for sharing. Keep stitching my friend.

MartinaM said...

The little ornament is so cute, hard to believe it's so small. I like how you combined the stitches, 1 over 1 and 2 over 2. Really great.
The frames you chose are great and look very classy. I also think it's a great idea how you give the work away, so wonderful with the paper and a tag, it's another piece of memory.
Oh dear, the forest fires are really bad, but it's bad that the air moves so far and then also does bad things.
How cute Mister B looks while feeding the goat.
I wish you and your family a happy 4th of July.
Hugs Martina

butterfly said...

Love your cute Christmas ornament.
I am so sorry about the car we are having a few problems to with cars.
But looking on the good side , you are safe .
Lovely photo of your GS .
Enjoy your framing I always do my own now to.
Have a good week hugs June.

Manuela said...

Hallo Carol,
ein schönes kleines Finish. Die Perlen und die Kordel passen richtig toll dazu.
Sehr schöne Rahmen hast du dir gekauft und die Stickerei zum 4. July passt hervorragend da hinein. Bin schon sehr gespannt, welche herbstlichen Stickarbeiten in die braunen Rahmen kommen.
Ein goldiges Bild von Mr B.
Von den Waldbränden in Kanada und der schlechten Luftqualität bei euch hören wir auch in unseren Nachrichten. Ich hoffe dass der angesagte Regen ein bisschen Luftveränderung bringt.
A Happy 4th of July.
Hugs, Manuela

Ο κόσμος της Ράνιας said...

Πολύ χαριτωμένο το μικρό κέντημα και οι κορνίζες πολύ ωραίες. Ωραία επιλογή. Ο mr B αξιολάτρευτος που αγαπά τα ζώα αλλά δεν αντέχει τη μυρωδιά . Λυπάμαι για το αυτοκίνητο και εύχομαι με το καλό ένα καινούργιο.
Καλό μήνα !!!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Such an adorable photo of Mr. B. feeding the goat. I bet he had a time. I hope the 2nd half of the year is much better, Carol. You have had a lot going on . I know you are saddened by the loss of your vehicle , but I am so glad you found out before something happened. I adore your latest ornament. The chickadee is as sweet as can be. Have a very Happy 4th. Hugs.

Marge B. said...

As usual your stitching is beautiful. You really are talented. But don't complain about the rain. We would love some. We have the brownest lawn we have ever had. Our part of Minnesota is crying for rain.

Keep stitching.
Marge B.

Barbara said...

What a disconcerting surprise about your 2010 Honda! I’m sorry you’re having to go through that hassle.

And the smokey air from Canada ….. in my last few years in Colorado, we had a lot of smoke to contend with from fires in Colorado and New Mexico. I remember absolutely orange skies darkening the mid-day sun. It was eerie!

Mister B looks so cute feeding the goat. I can imagine him holding his nose!

I really like the “All American” piece you have finished. It is perfect for this week! Enjoy your holiday, and the rainy days of stitching!!

Leonore Winterer said...

Your little stitched ornament is really cute, but these frames are amazing, such lovely choices. Can't wait to see what else will get framed over the next couple weeks and months!
Sorry to hear about your car. I'm glad you didn't get into an accident driving around like that, but it's still not a nice way to lose a car you loved! That fires sound terrifying as well. Hope you can safely stay inside through the worst of it.
I wish you a great holiday tomorrow, hope you can enjoy it despite everything else!

Vickie said...

I love the ornament. One of my favorites. I love DMC 3740.
Your label is SUPER! What site do you use to make it Carol?
It was time to part with our car this Spring. We drove a 1985 Chevrolet Celebrity! We moved up to a 1999 Honda Accord now. ;)
Oh goodness! I thought our air quality was very bad at 238! That is just nasty! And I shared what you posted about the chemicals with my family. I had breathing issues here. I stayed inside for days. Brian and Madeleine took over taking the poodles out.
I took our three kids to a pig farm with my best friend when they were quite little. Whooee! Did it stink! We stunk the entire hour ride home. I had to change everyone's clothes.

Julie Wright said...

Lovely pieces this month! Can’t wait to see what you frame next! Hope the transition to the new car goes well. 😊

Shelly said...

Haha about Mr B holding his nose! That's terrible about you all getting that smoke from Canada! Hope they burn themselves out. We get smoke from California fires but have had a reprieve for a year now. With Honda cars, you expect them to last forever! I have a Honda Civic that is now 11 years old and has 134,000 miles but I'm in the market for a brand new one or a used with low mileage. I'll give mine to my daughter. That Christmas ornie you stitched is very pretty! Love your FFO of it.

Katie said...

Love your teeny ornament. Just beautiful. The frames are gorgeous and thanks for sharing about them. Always nice to know a good company to order from. I have the patriotic piece in WIP form. Love the way it looks framed. Perfect. Love the backing for it. Looks wonderful together. Plus a way to remember it forever. So sorry to hear about your car but sounds like it will be for the better if it was really that dangerous. Hope the company makes it right soon and you can find one that makes you even more happy.

We've been having the crazy air too. So many days where they warned us to stay inside. I did notice the one day I didn't pay attention I got a very hoarse throat and didn't feel well. So I made sure to limit my outdoor time after that. I thought they were just blowing it out of proportion like they normally do. Crazy that it's affected us so much this year. It smelled like a fire here. Jeremiah said just like sitting beside the firepit. Not good to smile it from so far away. LOL too cute of Mister B. Stinky but fun.

Have a wonderful July!

Eva H. said...

Dear Carol,I liked to read you blog.
Have a nice summer days ☺
With love Eva from Czech Republic

Jutta said...

Dear Carol,
I am touched by your post, I wish you that the fire can be extinguished soon and that you will hear from the car company soon.
Your new little embroidery is adorable and the picture frames are all great, but the icing on the cake is your little grandson again.
Have a nice weekend, Jutta

Jennifer said...

Your ornament is lovely Carol - the purple with black and white is a nice combo and that chickadee is adorable. What a deal on the frames - I will have to look at that site, I have several pieces that call for a frame. So sorry to hear about your car recall, what a pain to deal with - we also keep cars for a long time and they have so many memories associated with them. It must be extra hard when it isn’t your choice. Hope that the skies have been a little better for you these past weeks, our wind has been from the south for the last week or two so it has been warm and humid, but clear skies. Hope you’ve had a nice July.