Saturday, December 5, 2020

Two new ornaments and a magical snowfall

And, all of a sudden, it's December! I'm sure we're all anxious to put 2020 behind us, aren't we? Such a strange, almost unbelievable year the entire world has had... Sometimes it just feels like a bad dream! Anyway...

How was your Thanksgiving? I didn't even bake a turkey this year since it was just me and my husband. But you know what--it felt rather liberating! We had a simple chicken casserole dinner with stuffing on top, a few easy side dishes (I mean how much easier can things get than sliced apples!), and a homemade pumpkin pie. My husband pronounced it the best pumpkin pie ever, but I think it's because neither of us were "stuffed to the gills" like we usually are after Thanksgiving dinner. It was such a nice feeling to enjoy our simple meal, savor the dessert (with extra whipped cream!), and then wake up the next day not feeling like I'd eaten a whale! And the extra time not spent preparing our usual feast for 20-25 people allowed me to get a jump start on my Christmas decorating and truly enjoy it... I didn't feel rushed--just took my time and relished the process. So, there really is a silver lining to almost everything...

With my extra time, I've been stitching gifts for friends and finishing up my final three ornaments for the year. I'll share two of them with you today as the third is not quite complete. For my October and November ornaments, I stitched Hands On Design's "Merry" from the Cranberry Christmas chart and Just Nan's "Blitzen Glistens."

My two latest ornament finishes

"Merry" was stitched on 32 ct. Tumbleweed linen by Wichelt. I love the color, but wasn't crazy about the linen. The linen seemed very "holey" to me. I usually use Zweigart fabric, but I wanted this particular color... The color is wonderful for showcasing white threads, but I'm not sure I would order it again due to the fabric itself. This was the first time I used Sulky Threads and, they too, brought mixed feelings. The coverage with one thread was great, but they lacked the sheen that DMC threads seem to have. I ended up substituting DMC thread for one of the reds and for the brown branches.

Hands On Design's "Merry" from the Cranberry Christmas Chart


For the finish, I added a couple of complementary fabrics in red and green with a mini white ric-rak to separate them. I was so excited to find the red fabric in my stash as I thought it mimicked the berries in the finish. Homemade cording, a jute bow and a fabric covered button (the first time I've made one!) finished it off. I think it's so bright and cheery!

A merry finish of "Merry!"


November's ornament was a much different one for me as it included metallic threads and beads--neither of which I enjoy working with. I am just not a sparkle-type. But, I thought I'd give this a try for something different. Blitzen is certainly glistening, isn't he? There are gold metallic threads in the stars and beads of gold, red, and translucent white (not to mention those "over one" cardinals on 32 ct. lambswool Jobelan). You were supposed to stitch the year hanging from the deer's antlers, but I've always preferred to leave my ornaments undated, so I didn't include them.

My November ornament: Just Nan's "Blitzen Glistens"


A ruched ribbon and an iridescent burgundy bow finish him off. I added three little leaves and some additional beads in the middle of the bow. These are simply glued on using some Aleene's Tacky Glue, a toothpick, and tweezers. Very fussy and time consuming, but I do like the overall look.

Blitzen is certainly glistening, isn't he?


Here's one more look at the latest duo. The lighting has been quite on and off this week, so it's been hard to get a decent photo! One more ornament to go for December and I'll share that with you in my annual "Parade Of Ornaments" post next time!

Can't wait to add these pretties to my tree!


A couple of non-cross stitch projects have also been occupying my time--Taggie Crinkle Toys! What, you've never heard of them? Well, I hadn't either until I became a grandmother. Apparently, babies love tags and love crinkle sounds so these little things keep them occupied for hours (well, not really, but, they capture their interest for quite a while).  I made two for my grandson and one (which I forgot to photograph) for a newborn baby girl. There are a ton of tutorials on how to make these, but the one I used can be found right here. What is the secret to creating the crinkle sound that babies love? A simple cereal or cracker bag (well-washed and dried, of course)! It is sandwiched in between two layers of flannel with colorful ribbons at spaced intervals. I added teething rings to mine as well as my little fellow is truly struggling with those first teeth wanting to poke through his little gums.

Taggie-Crinkle Toys created for my grandson

 

For the larger of the two, which measures about 10" square, I found the cutest Star Wars flannel fabric. It features all of the Star Wars main characters as babies. Can you spot the latest sensation, Baby Yoda? My oldest son loved anything Star Wars when he was growing up and I'm sure he'll make certain his own son does as well.

Can you spot Baby Yoda?

The second Taggie-Crinkle Toy is a smaller version (about 7" square) and features a soft white flannel with safari animals coming and going. This has more of a babyish look to it than the one above, doesn't it? I forgot to photograph the back of this one, but it has little black, white, and grey animal footprints scattered about. Honestly, the combinations are endless--if you need a quick and easy baby gift, give these a try!

These little safari animals have the sweetest faces!

 

Two sweet cross stitching friends were so kind and sent me two charts they knew I would enjoy. Stasi sent this pair of "Courting Cardinals" by Charley Harper as she knows how important cardinals are to me. And Barb R., my stitching friend from Michigan, sent me this lovely Drawn Thread chart called "The Little Birds Sampler" because she discovered she had two in her stash. I was the lucky beneficiary and I love it! Thank you both so very much--I can't tell you how much your thoughtfulness means to me...

Two wonderful charts from two wonderful stitching friends--thank you so much, Stasi and Barb! You both know I love birds!


Tuesday brought a lovely snowy day--perfect for getting out my cross-stitched Christmas ornaments! This large white box is an acid-free box that is usually sold to store quilts. I just keep it under a bed and in 12 years, I've never had any issues with the ornaments discoloring or getting damaged.

My box of treasures all ready to get to work decorating my tree!


In this box are all the ornaments I've stitched over the past 12 years. (I keep the ornaments my friends have given me in a different box). Even though it is large (at 30" x 18" by 6" deep), it is close to over-flowing so I may need to add a new acid free box to my Christmas list!

I wonder how many hours of stitching have gone into creating these?


Many, many hours of stitching and lots of love have gone into making these through the years--lots of little x's. I love the memories that each ornament brings back to me and I hope they are treasured by my children some day!

Ah... my lovelies! It's so nice to see you again!


The snow that fell on Tuesday was the prettiest kind--the type that clings to every branch and twig and gives the world a fresh, pristine appearance. I know some of you don't get snow in your part of the world, so try to imagine looking at an outdoor scene that has been frosted with the fluffiest, most delicate icing... a fairyland! 

The view from our upstairs window out to our pond and back yard after the snowfall.

View from the front porch


Since the ground was snow covered, the bird feeders saw a lot of action and I had a visit from Mama Cardinal. She is not the bright red of a male cardinal, but more of an amber color as you can see below. After I took this photo, I was shocked to see I had caught a wee chickadee in mid-flight as he flew to perch on the hook!

A female cardinal getting her breakfast as a tiny chickadee awaits his turn


I loved the picture even more when I enlarged it to get a better look at him! I think the quality is quite good considering it was taken (through my kitchen window) with my ancient iPhone 6-S that I've had since 2015! I've noticed my photographs just aren't as sharp as they used to be so I think it's definitely time for a phone upgrade. Have any of you purchased the new phones that just came out--any recommendations?

Chickadee in flight on a snowy December morning


And Papa Cardinal was quite a sight in our snow covered Winged Burning Bush tree right outside my husband's den. If you look closely, you can see one lone berry to the left of the cardinal--bet he gulped it down quickly!

Can you spot the male cardinal?

So, my Christmas decorating is almost done except my tree is not completely finished. How is yours coming along? Are you doing a bit less this year? Or are you going all out and really doing it up right? I'm doing just a bit less, but definitely enjoying the process more! I want to share one of my favorite shelves in my kitchen corner cupboard. I mean who doesn't love caroling mice and Prairie Schooler Christmas stitches? This shelf makes me smile each time I glance over at it! I had wanted a corner cupboard in my kitchen for years and years and I'm so glad I finally splurged and bought this a few years ago...

A shelf full of happiness!

Thank you so very much for visiting me and a special thank you to those who take the time to comment--especially during this busy month! Welcome to all my new followers, too. I'm having issues with my email subscribers not getting notified when I have a new post for some reason so I suggest that you follow my blog through  Bloglovin' if you want to see my latest posts. And, of course, you can always see some of my photos on Instagram right here--I do tend to post more photos and more details here at "Stitching Dreams," though! I definitely have a special place in my heart for my blog readers--thank you for all your support over the past 12 years! I'll be back soon with the "Parade of Ornaments" for 2020. Bye for now...

40 comments:

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Such a lovely post, Carol. Your two new ornaments are amazing; I have never seen Blitzen before; how awesome. They will be great additions to your tree which I am anxious to see. I look forward to seeing your December ornament. Hugs Melisa

MartinaM said...

Yes, this year is really tough, nice that you could still enjoy Thanksgiving.
I love your two new ornaments. They are breathtakingly beautiful and have great finishes. I am always amazed at how many ideas you have for degrees.
Yes, it's true, baby dear everything that crackles and makes little noises, and you have achieved something great here too.
How lucky you are that the cardinals visit you, beautiful little birds.
Oh, I also have a corner shelf, right at the beginning of my kitchenette, there are my cookbooks in it, which I could put away and decorate something.
I wish you a good time, enjoy Advent and not cause too much stress.
Hugs Martina

Clare-Aimetu said...

You make me feel very Christmasy with your lovely ornament finishes and snowy pictures. Noise and texture is great for little ones, lovely idea. You've a lovely collection of ornaments, I'll be getting mine out soon, each full of memories

butterfly said...

Hello my sweet friend , another wonderful post Of beautiful goodies.
Beautiful Christmas displays .
And beautiful stitching to beautiful snowy photos and amazing birds .
I would love to live near you and pop in for coffee and look at all your decorations .
Love the finish on your two new stitches and oh such cute baby toys .
Enjoy your Sunday and new week hugs .

Manuela said...

Hello Carol,
your two new ornaments are very beautiful. Each is an unique.
Wonderful photos from the Cardinals and your first snow this year.
The babytoy is a great idea and I think your grandchild will love it.
I'm looking forward to your next post.
Have a nice Sunday and a big Hugs, Manuela


Marilyn said...

Love your header display, love all Snowmen!
Your ornaments are beautiful, as always.
Those baby toys are too cute.
That box of ornaments looks so gorgeous, lots of nice ones in there!
We haven't had snow here yet.
Can't wait to see your tree!
Marilyn

moosecraft said...

Wow! So many cheerful stitches! Love the Christmas ornaments! It goes to show that a couple of stitches can certainly add up to a warm, handmade holiday! :-) Snow pictures are so peaceful!

Jutta said...


Dear Carol, ooohhh and aaahhhh, your great box is really so well stocked and it is a feast for the eyes to see it, wonderfully beautiful!
I also really like the toys for your grandson, how versatile you are.
I wish you a wonderful Advent season and a lot of fun decorating the Christmas tree, thank you very much for visiting me, best regards from Jutta

Sandy said...

Both ornaments are so pretty, but I love those tiny cardinals on Blitzen Glistens. I think I will try one of the baby crinkle things this week. I have a baby present to deliver next weekend. I always like to give a little personal touch. This will be quick and easy. I ordered some teething rings from Amazon before I finished your post:) I will be responsible for teaching Tucker to love Star Wars. Neither his mom or dad are big fans, but I am!!! I love your little corner cabinet. I know that is always a fun place to put out your stitches seasonally. I have taken two drawers from Lindsay's old bedroom dresser to put my smalls in. I love just opening them up and peering in, so I know those boxes of hard work but pleasure too are very fulfilling. I always love the bird pictures and iPhones are amazing with what they can do. Each one gets better. I have a X and it is very nice. I think the latest one has two camera lens. Incredible. Enjoy the snowy view.

Robin in Virginia said...

Two more lovely ornaments you have stitched and finished, Carol. What fun Taggie Crinkles you created and thanks for sharing the link! I loved seeing your snow pictures along with the birds. So lovely and peaceful! Happy December, Carol!

Arlene G said...

Carol your ornaments are just perfection. Blitzen Glistens is going on my to be stitched list for next year. Your grandson will love those crinklies. I remember Kendall rubbing hers when she was in her car seat as an infant. I had never seen them before that but they are a great comfort toy. And the snow....ours was puny compared to yours.:) I imagine decorating for Christmas is more fun with the beautiful snow to look at out the window.

Kate said...

I enjoyed your post Carol - especially the bird photos. Enjoy the season.

sewsherry said...

Carol,

Your ornaments are beautiful as always. I have wondered after seeing some of your finishes how you attach the hanger to your pillows. Is is stitched to the cording?
I to so enjoy getting my ornaments out each year. they bring me much joy.
I had a new granddaughter in July so I may make one of the tag blankets. It looks like fun.
Thanks for the inspiration.
Sherry

sewsherry said...

Carol,

Your ornaments are beautiful as always. I have wondered after seeing some of your finishes how you attach the hanger to your pillows. Is is stitched to the cording?
I to so enjoy getting my ornaments out each year. they bring me much joy.
I had a new granddaughter in July so I may make one of the tag blankets. It looks like fun.
Thanks for the inspiration.
Sherry

Stasi said...

How exciting it must be to open those boxes of ornaments every year!!! What a legacy you are creating!!!

Vicki said...

Lovely ornaments.
The fabrics for your toys are so cute!
Beautiful photos of the view outside, especially the little bird in flight.
Wow, the box of your stitched ornaments was gorgeous!!

Sandra said...

Beautiful stitching as always and I do love the one you call 'Merry'. So lovely to make Taggie Crinkles for your grandson and another baby too. It's wonderful to see the first snowfalls, isn't it? You live in a beautiful countryside area. Here in town, the snow gets messy pretty quickly.

Linda said...

Gorgeous ornaments as always Carol. Your cabinet looks great.

Linda

C Reeder PhxAz said...

Part of my own Christmas tradition is seeing that big box appear every year and the parade of the new ones. Amazing talent that makes it seem as if all is just right with the world. And truly it is. God is still in control and we are still celebrating the real meaning of Christmas. Thank you so much for doing this. The snow photos are wonderful too as it’s 70 degrees here in Arizona today with no signs of snow where I am. Blessings to you dear friend.

Maggie said...

Yes I think we will all be glad to see the back of 2020, let's hope next year we can start to get back to some normality.
I love your two recent finishes and your box of stitched ornaments is a wonderful sight :-)
I've had a big clear-out of Christmas decorations this year, I'm finding lately that I want less of everything.
The snow looks so magical, all we are getting is rain at the moment, I think a few parts of the UK had a tiny bit of snow, but it didn't last. It would be nice if we could have some snow for Christmas, at least it would be something nice is this horrible year.
Take care

Joan said...

Your ornaments are beautiful. I'm envious ... not only of the ornaments, but also the snow.

However, I am not all that anxious to put 2021 behind me. . . 2020 perhaps, but not 2021. I will have another grandchild graduate from high school in 2021 and I haven't stitched her gift yet.

Joan in VA

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your blog, I really enjoy reading it and seeing what life is like in the Northern Hemisphere. Kind regards Robyn Sydney Australia

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Lovely work on the two latest ornaments. Obviously I love the Just Nan but I am also very keen on the Cranberry Christmas series. I do like the way you finished them both.
Love that big box of ornaments, it must be such a thrill to get them out each year and remember stitching them all.
Beautiful snowy photo, especially the birds on the feeder.
So far I have got my Christmas Stitching out on display but nothing else. We have a real tree so we will get it next weekend and it will last until Twelfth Night.

Cathy H. said...

You're two latest ornaments are wonderful! You inspired me to make an ornament every month last year, but it didn't work out this year. I'm already gathering charts to stitch an ornament each month on 2021. I have a feeling covid will still be around and I'll have more time this next year. Oh, I love that snow! I'm one of those that doesn't get to see much and I do love it! I'll be looking for your Parade of Ornaments! Can't wait!

Janice Boucher said...

Hi Carol! Your two recent ornaments are just beautiful!! You certainly are the Queen of Smalls!
Our Thanksgiving was exactly like yours. Just my husband and me. Our 3 sons stayed home with their families. (First time we have not been all together). We did not have a big turkey. Instead we cooked a 4 lb turkey breast with a few sides. It was a quiet Thanksgiving but like you, I had an opportunity to relax and start my Christmas decorating. I have a feeling with the Corona virus spiking here in Massachusetts that Christmas may be the same as Thanksgiving. But that's ok, there is always next year...better to be safe than sorry. I am looking forward to seeing your tree all decorated with all those wonderful ornaments.

leona said...

Hello Carol, reading your posts are something I look forward to. The passion you have for stitching is so evident in all you do. Stitching beautiful and finishing superb, While it has been a difficult year, I think it is important to celebrate Christmas. Ours will be very quiet. Just hubby and me but we will make it special and I have put out my decorations and am enjoying having them around me to remind myself that life really is good. Do what makes you happy as life is short. Your box of treasures made my heart flutter. I wish I could have helped you unpack them. It would have taken a looong time. Enjoy the season Carol! ❤️��

Barb said...

Beautiful new finishes...love the deer. And I just told my husband I may need a new phone because I'm sure that I would get better pictures. Funny how it is the only camera I use now. Your box of ornaments is priceless.

Meg said...

Hi, Carol! I missed commenting on your last post. This time of year sure is busy, isn't it? The days just fly by, with so much to do.

Your ornaments are stunning - and I am impressed at the perfect embellishments you always choose. I love the little holly leaves and the beads, and I love that you repurpose clothing for your finishes. Do you ever find yourself buying clothing, thinking, "When I've worn this out, this sure will look good on a Christmas ornament...."?

We have the house decorated, all the gifts purchased and wrapped, and plans made for a simply Christmas at home. I just need to finish writing my Christmas cards and mail some things. And, there are always a few ornaments that need to be fully finished. Our tree is almost out of real estate for new ornaments, so I told my husband that we need a second tree for the TV room. He said, "That sounds like a great idea." Kind of surprised me, actually! I thought he would be a Scrooge about it.

Have a lovely week... stay warm and stay safe!

Barb said...

What an amazing collection of ornaments!! You must be so happy with them. I do remember those toys with both Hannah and Caleb.The snow looks so pretty. We just have to be happy with rain and more rain!

Faith... said...

The box of treasures is absolutely beautiful! And I love the two ornaments you recently finished. Blitzen is so cute. Love your taggies! I have made a few in the past and they are always well received by the parents. The little lions on the one are very cute!

Christel said...

Magnifiques ces derniers ornements. Ils viendront se cacher dans votre grande boîte aux nombreux trésors.
Comme vous j'aime beaucoup les armoires d'angle dans la cuisine, mais la nôtre est petite et il n'y a pas de place pour un tel meuble....
A la maison nous fêterons Noël avec nos enfants et petite fille. Je serais trop malheureuse s'ils ne venaient pas. Nous avons tous pris beaucoup de précautions et sommes tous négatifs à la covid.
Le sapin est fait il ne me reste plus qu'à sortir les broderies de Noël et d'hiver et de les accrocher à la place de celles d'automne.
Je vous souhaite de belles fêtes de fin d'année.
Amitiés de France,
Christel
http://toilesetfils.blogspot.com

Irene said...

La scatola degli ornamenti è un vero tesoro, è un pezzo di vita! Meravigliosi

Penny said...

Beautiful ornament additions, Carol! They are always so perfectly stitched and finished. And you chose some cute fabrics for your little grandson's gifts. Gorgeous snow pictures although I am in no hurry to see any snow here. :) Looking forward to your parade of ornaments. Take care.

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

Seeing all the ornaments you've stitched in that large box is impressive. I need to do something similar for my ornaments as the ones I've received don't fit in their usual container anymore. As always, I love your monthly finishes.

Cindy's cross stitch said...

Thanksgiving was just me this year. I made turkey legs and turned it into turkey salad sandwich. And a couple of sides. I don't have much Christmas decorations anymore. My tree is my focus. It makes me smile each time I look at it. Your boxes of stitched pieces are so pretty. I am glad you don't feel rushed and enjoy the process. The baby things you made are so darn cute. No, I never heard of them. I can't wait to see your next post.

Jenn M said...

What lovely makes; I always look forward to your Christmas ornament unveilings! We have moved house this year and I am finding it hard to get into the Christmas spirit when there is SO much that needs to be done to make this house feel like a home. I hate to abbreviate the preparations as it is a whole year before I can do it again! I would like to stitch a cardinal ornament at the very least: those lovely birds don't live where I do now and I really miss them.
Looking forward to your 2020 tree and stairwell pictures!
Jenn M

mimi said...

Hi Carol, I recently found your blog and love all your wonderful finishes. I saw the the lovely sampler pillow on instagram and tried to find the pattern with no luck. Could you please email me the link to the pattern. Much thanks and I hope you have a wonderful Christmas.

Thanks again
Marie scquilter@aol.com

Jennifer said...

I love the details you add to your blog posts about your stitching - I didn’t even notice the tiny holly leaves and beads on Blitzen when I saw the ornaments on Instagram - wow! The covered button is cute too, I think I may need to get myself some of those kits. One question - how many strands of DMC do you use for cording? I haven’t found the right number yet, but will be making some later this week. Love your snow and bird pictures - Mr. Cardinal safely watching from the bush is great. You had my favorite kind of snow too! I am really hoping we get some of that tonight or tomorrow as they’ve promised our first snow here - fingers crossed!

Leonore Winterer said...

Hi Carol, glad to hear you've been enjoying your quiet Thanksgiving! Maybe we can see this year as an opportunity to listen inside us and find out which parts of the holiday are actually important to us, and where we are just going 'through the motions'. At least that's what I've been trying to do, but then I just haven't been able to feel any Christmas spirit at all so far and have done zero decorating or baking...some stitching, but I'm still trying to finish the last two ornaments! Oh well. Your big box of ornaments is so impressive! Can't wait for the finish parade for the year. Maybe you've posted already, I am very behind with my reading, but I'll get there eventually!

Katie said...

Of course I love your new ornaments. Just beautiful. I'm glad to hear you had a lovely slow Thanksgiving. Enjoying the decorating is so nice. I enjoyed it this year too. Just calmly enjoyed the feeling that Christmas would be here soon. We decorated normal which looks great. A lot of people around us don't have outdoor lights so ours makes me smile extra. My husband enjoys putting the lights out. I'm in charge of the inside. We will leave most of it up for Winter so we get to really enjoy it. I have more snowmen than Santa stuff.