Saturday, August 8, 2009

Week Thirty-Two: Prairie Schooler Bird on Flower Bookmark



As with any Prairie School piece, I loved the colors in my latest finish. I believe this was a free bookmark at one time, but I ended up purchasing it from Ebay. I stitched the whimsical looking bird walking up his large flowering plant on 32-ct. natural colored linen with DMC threads. Now I'm looking for a pretty, floral fabric to use as a backing for the bookmark. When finished it will make a great gift for a friend...

I think one of the reasons I don't finish my ornaments right away, is that I have to drag the sewing machine out of the hall closet each time, set it up, thread it, etc. If I had a designated sewing area I could just keep the machine set up all the time and I would probably be much more productive in actually finishing my pieces. Hmmm...an idea is slowly forming in my mind. I turned my oldest son's old bedroom into a proper guest room when he left home, why not turn my middle son's old abode into a sewing/craft room now that he is gone? (I can just hear the groans as he reads this!) What do you think; do many of you have designated sewing/craft spaces?

9 comments:

riona said...

Funny you should ask ... I am planning on doing a heavy cleaning of the room my two boys shared and which has since devolved into a storage area for anything my husband can't find a proper place for ... with the long-range plan of gradually redecorating it to be a craft/TV/guest room ... but while that process will be pretty much a long-term project with me fitting in an hour or two of carpet-ripping, stripping paint, re-painting, etc., I will set up a temporary sewing station in the room and finally be able to move all my sewing stuff into one space. Ultimatelly, I'll have the wood floors refinished and one of the double closets refitted as a sewing nook with all sorts of built-ins made to my specs. Since we only have overnight guests during the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays, I really can't see converting the room into a permanent guest room ... not when I have only six rooms in my townhouse to start with. I figure I'll get one of those futon/couches or some other dual purpose piece of bed/sitting furniture so that my husband can sit and watch TV while I stitch. I hope to redecorate my daughter's room as well ... as a computer and office space ... since it is a small bedroom, only as wide as the hallway and stairwell combined.

Viooltje (Violet) said...

♥♥♥ the bookmark ♥♥♥
:o)

Viooltje (Violet) said...

Yesss give yourself a (sewing)room ASAP.
You deserve a place for yourself.
:o)
Ask the boys to help you decorate it.
But be careful, plan ahead: you buy the paint (and choose the colours!) and make lots of snacks.
Have lots of fun and music while you make it your place.
;o)

Deb said...

I simply adore that bookmark, Carol!! Great job! Love and Hugs, Deb

CJ in OK ;-) said...

Love your bookmark finish, congrats. I think your idea to convert a room to a craft haven is wonderful, go for it. CJ ok;-)

Annie said...

What a pretty bookmark.

I don't have a designated craft space, but my machine is an old singer that is a model that came built into a desk/table. The machine folds down into it. So I can use the table/desk for other things. It's easy to just lift the machine up when I want to sew.

If I had space, I would surely create a crafting room. Go for it!

Sweet Sue said...

Hi Carol, another beautiful finish, love it, have the chart:) And, if I may just put it right out there ~ your boys are out of the house, your job is done, yes? I'll wait patiently right here by my computer 'til you're ready to share pics of your new sewing room:)

Sweet Stitchin...

Rowyn said...

Gorgeous bookmark! I have a craft room, it's nice having a room for all my 'stuff'. Go for it!

Myra said...

Very pretty Carol. I do have a sewing room and am able to leave my sewing machine out all the time. I probably wouldn't get anything finished if I had to drag it out each time. :o)

Have a great week! Can't wait to see what you stitch next.