Thursday, August 22, 2024

A fun Christmas finish and water, water everywhere!

Brrr... we are going through a cold spell here in southwestern Pennsylvania and I woke up to a chilly 49° (9.4° C)  morning. It was so cold that, when I woke up, I put on my cozy winter bathrobe and promptly went down and baked a batch of my favorite chocolate chip-peanut butter-oatmeal cookies in an effort to warm up the house! I know I've complained about the heat this summer, but I'm not quite ready for fall. How about you? Are things cooling down in your area? The children in this area resumed school today which, to me, always marks the end of summer. (At least it did when my sons were of school age). It's been a very busy three weeks since my last post--lots of trips involving lots of water! Before I share my vacation photos with you, though, I wanted to show you my new finish. Yes, I  finished one of my favorite Christmas pieces ever--"Santa Stops Here" by With Thy Needle and Thread. 

"Santa Stops Here" by With Thy Needle and Thread

Oh, how I loved stitching this one--even that endless brick house! I love that the colors of the brick aren't the traditional reds and pinks. These remind me more of a stone house. It is stitched on 40 ct. woodland brown Newcastle with most of the suggested threads. I did end up using only WDW "Red Rocks" for all of the reds rather than using the two different reds that were charted. But, other than that, the colors are exactly what were called for. Below is a better view of that pretty house... According to the designer, it was inspired by the German houses in the Amana Colonies in Iowa where the businesses are often brick buildings with a simple black and white sign advertising what they sell. She mentioned that this "Candy Haus" is where Santa just might shop for the sugary treats to fill the stockings for all the good little boys and girls at Christmas time. Who has visited the Amana Colonies? I've never been to Iowa at all, but it looks like such an interesting area. If you'd like to read more about it, just click here.

Love the satin stitches on the door and the little beaded wreath. It gives this finish a nice bit of texture. I also added a trio of beads to the center of the red bow.

 

In this final photo is the jolly, old fellow himself with his little snowman buddy. Love all the sweet details from the candy cane laden tree to the tiny red cardinals to the wee trees sprinkled about the design. I will be framing this one--or possibly sending it out to be professionally framed. I think it's such a charming little piece!


So, let's get to all that water that I mentioned earlier! Lots of lakes, rivers, and waterfalls were enjoyed this month. In early August my whole family gathered for a few days at Deep Creek Lake in Maryland. We've enjoyed trips there before, but always in the winter for my January birthday. This was the first time we vacationed there in the summer. The weather could have been warmer, but the sun peeked out between the clouds enough for us to enjoy kayaking, paddle boarding, swimming, and fishing. That water was a bit too cold for me, though, so I was the official picture taker :)

Lots of kayaking, paddle boarding, puzzle making, and fishing at Deep Creek Lake in early August.

My little grandson, Mister B, caught the one and only fish of the trip--his very first one and he couldn't have been prouder. As he pulled it out of the water, he excitedly shouted, "I caught a fish for mommy!". He thought she could cook it up for his dinner, but, sadly it was too small to keep so back into the lake it went. 

Mister B with his first fish! Just look at that excited little grin.

This mama duck and her seven babies were frequent visitors

We all enjoyed ourselves and agreed that we'd like to return for a longer vacation next summer! Have any of you been to Deep Creek Lake? It's such a beautiful area nestled in the mountains of western Maryland. Just sitting on the dock gazing at the water and the mountains beyond was so relaxing. For more information on the lake and adjoining state park, you can click here

Our next trip was to upstate New York to visit one of my sisters. On the way to her home on Lake Ontario, we stopped in my tiny hometown (on the border of New York and Pennsylvania) to visit my parents' gravesite. It was the first time I've been back since my mom's funeral in 2020. A very bittersweet moment with a few tears--I'm sure many of you can relate. After lunch at a favorite local restaurant we were on the road again.

Our next stop was Letchworth State Park, a place I had visited in the past, but my husband hadn't. Again, the weather wasn't the best, but it was nice enough that we could get out for a short walk to see one of the parks three waterfalls from Inspiration Point. Letchworth is such a beautiful park comprising 14,350 acres. It is sometimes called the "Grand Canyon of the East" and is certainly worth a stop. We definitely want to go back and do some hiking in the future. To hear the roar of the waterfalls and feel its misty spray is really something!

The view of Middle Falls from Inspiration Point in Letchworth State Park

 
The Genesee River running through the gorge in the park

Me! A bit wind-blown, but still smiling!

After we left the park, we began the drive to my sister's home on Lake Ontario. On the way we spotted several rainbows due to the constantly changing weather. One minute it would be lightly raining, and the next the sunshine would break through--perfect rainbow weather! This one was so vibrant even though it was just a partial rainbow. 

It was a perfect day for rainbows.

My sister's home is set right on the shores of Lake Ontario, the smallest of the five U.S. Great Lakes, but the 14th largest (by surface area) in the world. Often, when you gaze out her window, it looks like the ocean with whitecaps topping the water and seabirds soaring by. She gets the most beautiful sunsets (and yes, I'm quite envious, as we never get them here being in a valley) almost nightly. 

The view from my sister's front door! Beautiful skies over Lake Ontario.

The day after we arrived, we took a hike to Chimney Bluffs State Park--a fascinating area filled with spire-like drumlins created by the erosion of glacial deposits from the last ice age. It was a chilly, bit muddy hike up to see them, but well worth the view!

Chimney Bluffs State Park

 
That water was so blue and the landscape so interesting.

There is also a beach below that is open to the public.

File:Chimney Bluffs near Great Sodus Bay.jpg
An old 1907 postcard of the view of Chimney Bluffs from the water. Over the years, the bluffs have eroded quite a bit due to the weather.


There are so many wonderful things to do in western New York--we'll definitely return for future visits! When I was growing up in that area, I don't think I fully appreciated all of its beauty. Now that I'm an adult and look at things through older eyes, I truly do.

So, that explains why not much stitching was done in August. I do have a couple smaller things which I hope to share with you soon, though. What is everyone stitching on these days? Have you moved on to fall stitching or is it too early? I've been so bad about pulling out my summer bees and sunflowers--in fact, I'm ashamed to say I still  have my 4th of July/patriotic stitching and decor out! I've just not been home enough to be motivated to change it.

Anyway, that's about it for this post. I'll leave you with our sunflowers as viewed from our kitchen door. My husband sprinkled the seeds throughout his fenced in vegetable garden and I just love how cheery and bright this corner of our yard is--in any kind of weather. Wishing you a sunny day with lots of stitching time. Bye for now...

Our cheerful sunflowers (can you spot one of our ever-present deer lurking in the background?)

27 comments:

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Good morning, Carol . It looks like you and the family are making the most out of the summer. How wonderful that the family could gather and enjoy the lake together. Woo Hoo for little Mr. B. ! He is a fisherman and indeed should be proud of his fish even if it wasn't a keeper. You have visited so many beautiful sites. Your latest cross stitch looks amazing. That is one amazing brick house. Have a wonderful day and a fabulous weekend. Hugs.

Gabi said...

Hello, what an amazing post. It sounds so great. You had a wonderful time together. Congrats to Mr. B. Well some places I remember when I was in the States many years ago.
Your stitching looks fantastic. The brick house ist amazing and I am sure you will have always fun to look at.
Well, summer goes slowly into fall in my area. Butyou can still sit in the garden in the afternoon. The last weeks were very hot, the mornings are a bit cool now.
Stitching over the months is for Christmas. I think I need another tree for all the ornies.
Have a wonderful weekend and warm greetings,
Gabi

butterfly said...

Lovely post Carol. love the brickhouse stitch .
The photos are all wonderful , looks a lovely place to go .
Well done to Mr B he looks so happy.
Sorry the weather was not so good , we have not had two days in a row of sunshine , very up and down , I am just not ready for Autumn , have a fun week hugs June

Manuela said...

Hello Carol,
a wonderful post.
I like your newest cross stitch finish very much. It is so beautiful with all the little details. The wreath with the beads is for me the highlight in this motiv.
Thank you for sharing all the wonderful photos from your holidays.
Have a nice time.
Hugs, Manuela

Marilyn said...

Oh, Santa Stop turned out so very pretty! Great job!
Mr. B looks so excited to catch a fish, too cute.
Those are all some amazing pictures from your trips, thanks for sharing.
Yes, we are also waking up to Lower temps in the morning, but it still gets hot by afternoon.
I'm ready for Fall!! :)
Marilyn

Robin in Virginia said...

Hi Carol! Your sunflowers are gorgeous and yes, I spied the visitor immediately. I bet she would love to feast on the sunflowers. It looked like you had some wonderful trips in August. While I have never been to Deep Creek, we have friends whose son lived there for years. I have been enjoying the lower temps and lower humidity levels, but also know that summer isn't finished yet. Your Santa piece turned out lovely.

Alhana said...

Hello, Carol!
I've been missing your posts for a while and thought you weren't blogging anymore. Turned out I was unsuscribed for some reason, but I'm back again. :-)
I love your latest finish, the beaded wreath is such a nice detail. The bricks not being the typical red ones makes this design unique.
What a great and busy summer you had with your family! All the water pictures look refreshing. Here we're still enduring the sultry weather, school won't start until mid September.
Wishing you a sunny end of the summer with lots of stitching time too.

DeeKSal said...

What a fun family time you had in Maryland. Your trip to New York State went to my birthplace areas. I also have found I appreciate the places around there more now as an adult (guess age can do that!). Letchworth is truly beautiful. My dislike of being too close to the edge of cliffs, etc. is attributed to my mother nearly slipping on a trail there when pregnant for me. (Good story anyway). Many happy times with extended family from Rochester to Buffalo. Happy nearly fall.More stitching time.

Sandy said...

What beautiful sunflowers and that little deer poking around to boot! All of your vacation photos are beautiful especially the one of the little one with his fish. I am so glad y'all were able to enjoy all that family time. I have been a wee bit off on my stitching as of late. I have done my best to soak up summer as well. All of my family is back in the school mode. Oddly we had a cool morning today with 80 degrees and a light breeze at 10AM. Jeff and I are sure we have never experienced such an oddity in our 60 plus years. I am not ready for fall and I am sure that was a once in a lifetime fluke anyway. The stitch is lovely and I really like the red you chose.

Gail L. said...

Hello Carol, thank you for sharing your vacation photos. I’m living vicariously through your photos. Our vacation was to be the California Zephyr. We have been hoping to go on this train for three years now, but it hasn’t been in the cards. I so enjoy seeing what you have stitched up. You inspire me to try different styles and designers. Living in northern Ohio, our weather is similar to yours, so I know what you’re talking about. It’s either very hot or chilly. Who would have thought to wearing warm jackets in July or August! Have a great day!

Clare-Aimetu said...

What lovely photos, it's always nice to see other locations and parts of the world. It looks like you've had a great August. Lovely Christmas stitching, the speed in which time is going this year it will soon be the festive time

Shelly said...

Beautiful finish! I can't go to my mom's grave and not leak from the eyes, every time. My dad's ashes I have here in the house. Maybe September will be a little quieter for you. Our temps here in AZ have gone done some, not as hot as it was in July; that was brutal. Hope hubby is doing better with the Lyme disease diagnosis. Take care!

Stasi said...

Love your latest header!!! Your Christmas piece is darling...I too love all the tiny details. Your trips all sound wonderful...beautiful views all around. Mr. B. must have been so proud to land his first fish...Deep Creek was a great place to do that. I miss seeing all the deer we'd see in WV...we know they're here, as evidenced by the decimation of our flowers, but never seem to catch them in person.
You know I am enjoying these cooler temps...autumn can't get here fast enough!!! LOL

Barbara said...

Such an enjoyable post with great pictures!! Congrats to the Great Fisherman -- may he catch many more as he grows bigger (and fish big enough to keep and eat!!).

I would love to wake up to a chilly morning... still sleeveless tops here, shorts, and sandals.

Georgia said...

Oh Carol, I finally had a free minute to read your August post. I am chuckling because you were talking about all the cold weather. How about a few days of 100 degrees headed your way. I loved your sampler and I have been through Iowa but never visited the area you mentioned, it sounds enchanting. I always enjoy your little vacation spots. And, Mr B is growing up so much! Thank you for sharing, and keep stitching beautiful things, blessings to you and yours.

Meari said...

Oh my! Such beautiful scenic places. For me, it would be so tranquil and very welcome. And you even saw a rainbow. How awesome is that?! Little one's first fish photos -- always so wonderful to see the pride on their faces. I love baby animals... those ducklings are so cute. Congrats on your finish! I love the little bow on the wreath. How do you get them so perfect?

Isabel para ALROMASAR said...

I'm glad you enjoyed this lovely family trip!!
Thank you for sharing these beautiful images.
The Christmas embroidery turned out perfect.
I envy that temperature...in Seville it won't start to cool down until mid-October.
Kisses

diamondc said...

Hi Carol: Brrrr that is cold for August, I bet the house smelled good with the cookies baking,
Santa Stops Here is such a sweet design, Congratulations on the finish, love the doors and beaded wreath, nice touch,.
The vacation photos are sweet, Mr. B is a cutie pie, the smile on his face after catching the fish is priceless, it is always bittersweet to visit a grave site, I too shed tears at Mom and Dads site. The park photos are beautiful, your smile is so bright, the jagged rocks look terrible and sharp. I will be starting my fall stitching this next week. Love your sunflowers so pretty.

Catherine

digitizer embroidery service said...

ITS BEAUTIFUL.

Irene said...

What wonderful trips, thank you for sharing, I love the rivers, lakes, waterfalls and I also love your Christmas embroidery!

Jackie's Stitches said...

49 degrees sounds like perfect sleeping weather! Hopefully it won't stay that cold for long! We have actually had temps below 90 so I'm calling that a win even though they will not last long!

Your Santa Stops Here finish is just darling! I love your change to the wreath.

A month spent with loads of family time is so worth it! Congratulations to Mr. B for catching his first fish!

Gabriella said...

Lovely post. Your Christmas embroidery is darling.

Julie said...

Some beautiful pieces, Care. I can never get over how you’re able to determine the changes you’ll make to each- in regard to color or adding/eliminating elements of the pattern. Looks like a wonderful time with the family, especially catching fish! Love the inclusion of the old postcard of Chimney Bluffs w/your photos. Yes. Those sunsets around Lake Ontario are beautiful.

Jutta said...

Oh, a wonderful blog post, thank you for the effort you made for us.
I particularly like the photo of you ;-),
I hope you have a nice weekend, many hugs Jutta

Vickie said...

I really thought I was the only one who still had my patriotic pieces up. I only have my cubby shelf done. The corner shelf has yet to be tackled.
I love that you shared your gorgeous state with us. We were only on one driving trip through it with the children and loved it.
Santa Stops Here is precious.
I am and have been stitching up Christmas gifts. I have several to go. Aren't you finding this harder to do as we get older? Exchanging with so many dear friends? I do not want to stop, but it is hard to make gifts for all of you!!

Leonore Winterer said...

Hi Carol, I'm so glad you had a great time with lots of fun trips and admiring beautiful nature! The US is really blessed with natural phenomenon, it must be so fun to have all this at your fingertips to explore.
Love your stitching too, that's a really cute Christmas piece, I understand why it's onw of your favourites!

Katie said...

Oh what lovely travels. I've been itching to go somewhere but not this year. We have small trips planned but decided to wait for another big trip. Though my brain made the decision my heart would love to go somewhere haha. Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos.