Saturday, January 13, 2024

And a new year begins!

First of all--Happy New Year! I hope 2024 is treating you well so far? I tend to have a love-hate relationship with the month of January--how about you? I love the fact that it brings such a sense of peace after the hustle-bustle of the holiday; I love having extra stitching time by cozy fires; I love it when it snows (which seems to be rarer and rarer these days!); and I (kind of) love turning a year older with my mid-month birthday on the 16th. But, January seems to drag on forever, it is gray and dull most of the time (I think I've only seen the sun twice since Christmas!), and the month just doesn't provide much inspiration, does it? My mother used to say that "If you can just make it through long, cold January, you're good to go for the year." I tend to agree! 

I have lots of finishes to share with you today! These were all gifts that I stitched for friends and family for Christmas. In addition to my monthly ornaments in 2023, I also stitched 14 pieces for either ornaments or cards last year. The clue to stitching little gifts to send out during the busy month of December is to work ahead--I start my gift stitching in January and continue it all year. The other thing I do to make it easier, is to stitch pieces that I've done before--that way I don't have to think about the colors or finishes and everything comes together more quickly. I'm sure you'll recognize many of the following gifts as ones I've stitched before in one form or another. I would love to be able to send something to each one of you, but, of course, that is impossible. So, just know how much I appreciate you reading my blog, leaving such kind comments, and sending those wonderful emails. I truly appreciate each of you!

This Madame Chantilly design is just a small portion of the "Celebrate Winter" chart. I stitched it on 40 ct. stormy night Newcastle with DMC threads.  I made an oval ornament by adding additional snowflakes, topping it with a gauzy white bow and handmade cording, and sewing on a tiny silver bell. Isn't it sweet?

A small motif from "Celebrate Winter" by Madame Chantilly

I also stitched the next ornament, "Red Bird Globe" by Bent Creek, for myself back in 2020 (in this post). I used 32 ct. Wichelt Twilight Blue fabric and finished it exactly like the one I made for myself, except I changed the type of white hanger and added a scrap of flannel tied to the side. The "snowflakes" are simply white beads scattered about.

Bent Creek's "Red Bird Globe"

This sweet snowflake was stitched from a chart in the book  "A Rainbow of Stitches" by Agnès Delage-Calvet. I used 40 ct. white Newcastle linen along with Aurifloss 4140 floss. Love the patterned ribbon and the tiny snowflake charm dangling from the bottom middle! The blue in the snowflake print on the ribbon just happened to match the shade of blue in the floss perfectly.

A single snowflake from "A Rainbow of Stitches" by Agnès Delage-Calvet

 

I'm sure you will all recognize this round Prairie Schooler ornament--it's one of my favorites and one I've often given as a gift! This is from PS Book No. 51, "Christmas Past." It is stitched "over one" on 28 ct. black Monaco using the suggested DMC threads. I'm sure I'll be stitching this one again and again! It's always well received.

One of my favorite Santas from Prairie Schooler's "Christmas Past" Book No. 51

This freebie design is an oldie, but goodie. You can find the chart right here if you would like to stitch it for yourself. This was stitched on 40 ct. white Newcastle using DMC 115. I added a tiny brass reindeer charm along with a little red bell on the checkered bow for interest. Love the classic beauty of this one!

"Noel" freebie in DMC 115

Once again, I turned to Madame Chantilly's "Celebrate Winter" chart to stitch this sweet bird perched on a white house. This one is stitched on 40 ct. raw natural Newcastle with DMC threads. I added a few snowflakes to shape it into a round ornament. Love the little pop the polka dot bow adds to the final finish!

A small motif from "Celebrate Winter" by Madame Chantilly

For a couple of sweet babies born in 2023, I stitched this ornament from Brooke's Books called "Remy Rabbit" (twice). This is a free design which you can find right here. I forgot to take a photo of one of them before I mailed it, but it's exactly like the ornament shown below except with a different name. This one is for my niece's brand new daughter who was named after my dear mother. Yes, I cried a bit as I stitched her name... I hope little Elinor treasures it as she grows older. For this one, I used 40 ct. water green Newcastle linen with my own selection of DMC threads. Again, I added snowflakes to shape it into an oval ornament. 

A baby ornament for my dear mother's namesake by Brooke's Books called "Remy Rabbit"

The following cards were also stitched and sent around the world...

A sweet motif from "Good Tidings to You" by The Sampler Girl (found in the 2011 Just Cross Stitch Ornament Magazine)

The Birds of a Feather "Love" angel stitched on 40 ct. white  Newcastle. I changed her hair color from blonde to brunette.

A trio of Prairie Schooler skating Santa cards from the booklet "A Merry Mini Surprise" (Book No. 215) stitched on 40 ct. woodland brown Newcastle

And last, but certainly not least, I stitched a cute snowman ornament for my grandson, Mister B. I just had to stitch this in honor of the snowman that he and my husband created when we were visiting him in early December. Overnight, enough snow fell to build a small snowman and for him to go sledding down the little hill in their side lawn in Maryland. Oh, what fun he had! Here is the snowman the two of them made...

Mister B carefully explaining exactly where the snowman's "buttons" should be placed

And here is the snowman ornament I stitched for Mister B. It is by Stitching With the Housewives and is called "Let It Snow." I thought I was stitching it on 40 ct. black, but it turned out to be 32 ct. and for that reason, the coverage isn't the best (since I only used one thread). I stitched my grandson's name instead of the words "Let It Snow" on the mug (have blurred it out for privacy in the photo). Mister B got such a big grin on his face when he unwrapped it on Christmas morning! He now has  yet another "Stitched With Love by Nonna" ornament for his tree.


Whew! That is a lot of stitching for one post... Hope you enjoyed it and, perhaps, gained some inspiration for stitching your very own gifts for next Christmas!

Would you believe I still have my Christmas tree up? Am I the only one? I've never left it up this long, but I have to admit I'm truly enjoying the warm glow each evening when I turn it on. I had fully planned to take it down last weekend, but then this happened... 

The view of our back yard and pond: January 7, 2024

Can you spot the red cardinal snuggled in the rhododendron bush?

The snow gently falls as this sweet deer wanders into the woods

YES! We finally got snow--and I just had to leave the tree up a while longer :) I make no apologies--it just seemed right! But, the snow has now melted and I'm sure (well, pretty sure!) that I'll take it down this weekend. All the other Christmas things are boxed and put away in the attic so the tree shouldn't take long. I do hate saying goodbye to the ornaments for another 11 months, but, at the same time I know I'll love having my home back in order. 

I did take the Prairie Schooler ornaments off the tree and out of the Pottery Barn cubby for their very own photo-shoot last week. Just wanted to document what I've stitched through the years because at my "advanced age," I have to admit, I have trouble remembering which ones I've previously stitched. I'll be 69 years old on Tuesday... How can that be?!?!  I hope this final year in my 60s is a memorable one--and memorable for the right reasons!

A plethora of Prairie Schooler Santas!

Thanks so much for stopping by today! I hope you all have a relaxing weekend ahead with lots of stitching time. I'll be back later in the month with some new stitching--fingers crossed! Bye for now...

49 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ornaments are lovely, the view out your window is beautiful! You did a lot of stitching for sure.
Happy Birthday! Hope your year is full of good things!
Thank You for sharing
Darlene N

Little Penpen said...

Your tree deserves to stay up year round! Beautiful stitches!

Robin in Virginia said...

What beautiful ornaments you stitched and gifted, Carol! I love the one you sent me. What beautiful snow pictures especially the deer in the backyard! No snow here yet, but they mentioned it for Tuesday's forecast. While I love snow, it needs to wait until after Bruce's tests and surgery. Enjoy your weekend!

Sandy said...

All of them are just lovely. I think if I lived where it was cold and darker I would leave my tree up longer as well. I will admit I love the glow of the lights on a cloudy day and in the evenings. Those PS ornaments are amazing. They are so sweet and so classic. Hoping you have a happy birthday with a sweet treat and sunshine or snow.

Margaret said...

I just love it when I get a message that you have posted on your blog. Sometimes I save it, to read later, when it’s peaceful and quiet and I can enjoy looking at each of your projects slowly, but today I just jumped in and read it right away. My goodness, what a lot of stitching (and finishing!) you have done. I’m still plodding my way through a Madame Chantilly project, but I will admit that I spend most of my “free” time on quilting, not cross stitch. I wish you a happy 69th birthday (we are essentially the same age.) I’m doing my best to keep a happy and tranquil outlook, despite the challenges we all face. I agree, having sunshine does help with that.

Christina DErrico said...

Hi Carol,
You really have an eye for details the ornaments you picked are stunning! I love the Prairie Schoolers as well, and you finish them perfectly! I love the snowman you stitched for your grandson and the wonderful memories that accompany it.
Your snowy images make me long for some snow here! Happy Stitching ♥️

DarleneJ said...

More lovely, beautiful, stunning, sweet, cute and adorable ornaments from your talented hands.

Mr B and grandpa built a very dapper snowman! Very impressive, indeed.

Annelein said...

Love to see all your xstitching. And how wonderful is your outdoor view. Totally get your ... how can it be that I turn 69. I experienced the same when I turned into 60. It is somehow mindblowing...But never the less... congratulations with your birthday.

Gail L. said...

Hello Carol, first of all, I love your ornaments! I just finished stitching a small bird on 32 ct over one thread. I thought I would lose my mind and eyesight doing it. First and last time, I swear! It’s been a very sad start to the new year with 2 deaths of 2 very dear people. We are very close to Lake Erie, so we either get a ton of lake effect snow or very little. Right now, extremely blustery but a trace of snow. And, you’re not the only one who has their tree still up! Enjoining it during the day besides evening as we have had so much cloudy weather. Happy birthday to you and wishing you happy stitching!

Shelly said...

Happy Birthday Carol! Live it up! I love your oval PS ornaments and those stitched on black fabric. I bought a small 2ft tree from a primitive craft store in your state, the shipping was crazy but I love it. I took off the Christmas ornaments and put up ones that had snow or snowmen. I also leave my nutcrackers out all year long. We had a smattering of snow last weekend and on Thursday but it's all melted except for the patches in the shade. I could do with a warm-up! Haha! Happy Stitching!

Brenda S said...

Beautiful ornaments! I have started on gifts for Christmas this year already. I'm getting too old for the Christmas time crunch. I'm glad you got some snow. It does make that Christmas tree glow more enjoyable. Mine came down this week and we are in the middle of a huge snowmageddon! Temps are suppose to drop overnight.
Happy Birthday next week! 69 will be a good year! I will be 69 on the 25th.

God Bless
Brenda

Cheryl said...

Hi Carol,
Your ornaments are always so perfectly finished with just the right fabrics, ribbons, etc. They are an inspiration!
And, you are not the only one to leave the tree up! Tomorrow I am packing it up but I, too, love to sit at night with it lit.

Marge said...

Carol,
As usual, I am so inspired by your stitching. What a body of work you have - slow and steady. Thank you for sharing. Happy Birthday!

ndavis said...

Wishing you a Very Happy 69th Birthday on the 16th. I will be 70 next Monday. I love seeing your stitching and your finishes always inspire me. Keep your tree up as long as you like. You got more snow in your part of PA than we did in our South Central PA where I am.

marie2L said...

Joyeux Anniversaire Carol
Chez moi aussi, les décorations de Noël sont toujours en place et puisqu'il fait ➖ 7 degrés c'est de saison !
Merci pour tes partages qui m'inspirent.
Have a nice sunday

Gabi said...

Hi from Germany and happy birthday. Have a great and lovely day. Don't worry about the age, in your heart you are young!! What should I say, I am 5 years older and feel pretty good. Be a bit crazy, it helps. :):):)
What beautiful ornaments you stitched through the years and honestly you gave me great inspiration. I had my Christmas tree for nearly 5 weeks this time (1st time in my life) and I do the same as you, start stitching with my new patterns for the next time. Loved the light in the evening.
I am sure Mr. B. will treasure his own ornie.
Sunshine? Only 2 days last week, since weeks it is grey.
Well, wish you all the best and have fun, luck and everything for your new age.
Hugs, Gabi

butterfly said...

Happy Birthday Carol, It's only a Number Lets see how far we can go Ha.
Lovely stitching , you are still creating some beautiful work .
Your ornaments are so beautiful.
Looks cold there , they are saying we will be having snow soon but it's far to cold for snow here yet ,we will have to see.
Have a lovely week hugs June.

Marilyn said...

All of your ornaments are so pretty.
The added snowflakes really add a touch to them.
What a great collection of PS'S!
Glad you got some snow.
We are getting hammered with snow!
A few inches every night, it's so pretty on the trees.
I think you saw my IG post.
The Cardinals are so very pretty when they sit in the snow covered trees.
Happy Birthday Carol!
Marilyn

Clare-Aimetu said...

Happy Birthday for Tuesday Carol. I love your collection of Santas. Great show of ornaments, all different and very festive. Happy stitching in 2024

Annette said...

Carol,
Love all of your stitching, you do such beautiful work! You and my husband share the same birthdate, so I will think of you too on Tuesday and I wish you a Very Happy Birthday!🎂

Anonymous said...

I love everything you share. You are a huge inspiration for me, I get very excited when I see a new post from you. Thank you, and please keep doing what you are doing.
Happy, Happy Birthday!🎂🎈🎊💕

Julie said...

Just wanted to let you know that I also still have my Christmas light up :-). I live in Montana where like you we get a lot of grey days. So this year I decided I would take all the ornaments off the tree and the “red & green” off the garlands and just have the simple white lights of the trees and garlands stay up for the whole month of January! I’m loving it! And it was especially cozy this past week where we were 20 below zero for a couple of days! Thanks again for the blogging and sharing. And especially for those freebie links! I’ll be stitching some of those for sure! Hope your birthday is a wonderful celebration.

Rita Heindel said...

Happy Birthday, Carol! Love seeing all your ornaments each year and picking some of them for my own stitching. My tree is still up but minus the ornaments. My husband was out of town and I no longer try to wrangle the tree in its two storage bags. With this terrible Arctic blast, I’m sure I’ll stay warm inside and finish the job of putting away Christmas, for another year! Happy stitching in 2024! (My first of 24 ornaments is stitched for your SAL.)

Christel said...

Je vous souhaite une belle et douce nouvelle année.
Je n'aime pas du tout les mois d'hiver, donc janvier en fait partie. Sauf le 16, car comme vous, mon fils cadet Valentin prendra 1 an de plus (28 ans)... Déjà... Je fêterai mon anniversaire le 30 (59 ans), et je n'aime pas du tout quand mon tour arrive. Mais on ne peut pas arrêter le temps !
Tous vos ornements offerts sont merveilleux. De belles finitions, et des petits charms qui donnent un plus indéniable. Ils ont sans nul doute été appréciés, ce sont des cadeaux uniques.
Il est beau le bonhomme de neige de MisterB et votre mari. Nous n'avons eu qu'un 1/2 cm de neige chez nous, mais en ce moment il fait extrêmment froid, et il en est prévue pour mercredi... Dans ces cas-là, je ne sors que dans le jardin mais ne m'aventure pas sur les routes car dans notre tout petit village rien n'est dégagé, c'est impraticable. Seuls les plus téméraires s'en sortent et je n'en fait pas partie.
Pourtant j'admets que les paysages enneigés sont beaux, (si elle pouvait tomber seulement dans les jardins cela m'arrangerait bien...), c'est paisible, tout doux..
Les décorations de Noël sont aussi rangées dans leurs boîtes et mises dans le grenier. Mes petites-filles étaient un peu tristes mais elles savent bien que nous les ressortirons à la fin de l'année.
Amitiés de France.

janey said...

Delightful ornaments! Thank you so much for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Hello, I love seeing all your beautiful projects, Happy Birthday! We share a birthday , I’ll be 65, and I wish you a wonderful Year Chris

MartinaM said...

I'm always happy when February is over, then spring isn't far away, the days are longer and the light is getting better.
I love the little houses with the birds, it fits in well with the times.
What lovely memories, and the picture with your husband and Mister B is lovely. Something like that warms the heart. And the matching ornament is great.
Our Christmas tree will still be up until the weekend, then it will be taken down.
It's a real treat to see all the Santa Clauses from PS, wonderful.
Enjoy the time,
Martina

Manuela said...

Hello Carol,
ein wunderschöner Post. Ich habe es genossen jede Zeile zu lesen und die Bilder zu betrachten. Du warst so fleißig im vergangenen Jahr und hast so viele wunderschöne kleine Motive zu Ornamenten und Karten verarbeitet. Einfach schön.
Begeistert bin ich von deinen TPS Santas.
Ein süßes Foto von deinem Mann mit Mr. B.
Ich wünsche dir einen wunderschöne Geburtstag.
Hugs, Manuela

Leonore Winterer said...

Well first up, happ early birthday, in case I forget tomorrow!
Second, love all your little ornaments and cards. I think the adorable little bunny is my favourite! I admire your patience to stitch the same thing two, three or even more times, I can never bring myself to do that. My list of new things I want to stitch is just too long!
Last, about the tree - mine is still up, as well. I only put it up December 23rd and then wasn't home from the 25th to the 30th, and I want to look at it a while longer! Let me tell you though, in Germany it is custom to have it up until January 6th, or even Februay 2nd (40 days after Christmas) depending on the region, so by our standards, you are still good!

Anonymous said...

Hope you have a wonderful birthday🎂 I love reading your blog, it provides me with an incentive to stitch 🪡

Jodie Tammaro

Anonymous said...

I know I responded to your wonderful posting but I don’t see it :(.
I wonder now what I did wrong ��- obviously I’m challenged in this area (and many others).
Your stitched gifts are just so wonderful- I know your recipients must feel so delighted and lucky for these very special gifts.
Is your tree still up? or did you get it packed away until next year? Storing all those beautiful hand-stitched ornaments must take quite a bit of time, too, but so much fun to look at. A truly special and beautiful collection.

Barb R. ��❣️

Katie said...

Oh Carol I hope your birthday was as special as you are. I just love reading your posts. Wow what gorgeous gifts you made. How sweet your niece picked your mom's name to honor. So special. Mister B is just adorable with your hubby and the snowman. We get light dusting of snows but not a real snow just yet. Our tree is still up because I just love the lights. But I have another winter type of light I am going to replace it with for winter. I just LOVE your snow pics. So beautiful.

Donna said...

So many pretty ornaments Carol! Hope you have a wonderful birthday.

Anonymous said...

Carol, all of your ornaments are just beautiful. I love reading your blog and look forward to reading it. I was trying to find Celebrate Winter by Madame Chantilly but could not find it. Where did you find it? I love the little White House’s with the bird. I checked Etsy. Lovely winter pictures. Happy Birthday.

Kathy H. said...

Hello Carol. I loved reading this post and I guess today is also your birthday, so Happy Birthday to You! I hope it's a wonderful day and you have a chance to celebrate with family at some point. Perhaps it is snowing there as it is here and you are enjoying some quiet stitching and relaxing. At any rate, enjoy your special day and I wish you a wonderful year to come!

I loved all your wonderful stitching that you did secretly, so many lovely pieces and finishes. You are very right with your advice to start early, and I agree, the winter months are a good time to get started as we aren't itching to be outside in nicer weather yet. Over the years I have stitched quite a few cross stitch cards and seeing yours brought back a lot of memories. I do remember early in our marriage stitching a card for all my husband's and my siblings and some friends. At some point I had little gift enclosures that I had stitched and recently found one I had done for my husband, and hung it on our tree this year.

Wishing you a wonderful day, and thank you for always sharing and inspiring with your lovely stitching.

Kathy

marly said...

Happy birthday Carol! I hope you have a comfy warm relaxing day. My tree is still up, husband keeps asking for one more day!

Your ornament stitching is such a delight to see every year. Mr. B will have enough for his own little tree in a few years!!

albirginia said...

Felicidades,Carol por tu cumpleaños! El mío será el 18 de febrero. Gracias por dejarnos ver todas las maravillas conque decoras tu casa y las que regalas a tus amigos. Los animales en la naturaleza y el lindo muñeco que disfruta Mr.B. Que tengas un feliz año y podamos compartirlo mes a mes con el reto de adornos navideños. Muchos besos. ♥️

Anonymous said...

What lovely ornament gifts you made and gave!! I stitched 5 of the freebie Brooke's Books "advent animals", one for each grandchild, last year and gave them with their Christmas gifts :) I did then on a blue 28 count background (over 2 stitches my preferred way to stitch). This year I made them Prairie Schooler animals. But YOU were my inspiration to begin stitching in January and do one per month. That was such a great idea! Thanks for the blog. Barbara from Wolverine Lake MI (where it below zero currently)

SueH said...

Belated Birthday wishes Carol, I hope you had a wonderful day.

That's an amazing array of ornaments and anyone who received them as gifts must have been so thrilled with them. The number of Prairie Schooler Santa's are impressive too. I've done 4, so have a long way to go to catch up with you!
Happy Stitiching!
Sue x

Cathy H. said...

Happy belated birthday, Carol! I had to laugh when you said you took a picture of your PS ornaments to remember which ones you've stitched. I stitch Christmas ornaments for my grandsons each year. The oldest is 21. I'm so thankful I take pictures of them to remember what I've stitched! Your gift ornaments are lovely. Your grandson's is so cute. I know he loves it! Hoping you're seeing a few more sunny days. We have had snow on the ground for a week and abnormally cold temps. I've been enjoying the extra creative time.

Theresa said...

Happy (belated) birthday! January is a great month for a birthday (my daughter was born in January : ) Love reading all the news and updates. Hope you had a wonderful birthday Carol!

Faith... said...

Everything is beautiful as always Carol! I am glad that Mr. B. loved his special ornament! Gorgeous visitors to your yard and how lucky you are to receive such company.

I hope you enjoyed your birthday! I look forward to seeing another year of your beautiful stitching!

Jutta said...

My dear Carol,
What a lot of effort you put into making such a detailed post with lots of wonderful photos, thank you very much for that.
When the winter is over, I will "revive" again.
As always, your ornaments are a real beauty and a feast for my eyes!
The photo of Mr. B is my favorite again, you have a great grandson!
Hugs and a happy, creative New Year to all of us,
Jutta

Bluebird said...

Happy belated birthday! I hope that you had a wonderful day and were able to do something fun to celebrate! All your stitching is beautiful, and I'm always so impressed at how much you accomplish throughout the year. I also love your collection of Prairie Schooler Santas - so sweet! The photos of the snow are gorgeous. I keep our Christmas tree up for as long as possible, I think it's very cheerful. That's a perfect ornament for your grandson, too.
Mary

Irene said...

Carol, allora oggi è il tuo compleanno, tanti auguri!!! Io a ottobre ne compirò 50!! Adoro come rifinisci gli ornamenti, prendo sempre ispirazione da te e dal tuo buon gusto

Jennifer said...

Hi Carol and a belated happy birthday! Hope you had a nice celebration and have gotten a little bit of snow to mix in with the super cold weather! It was over 30 here today and crazily felt almost warm. Love the ornaments you stitched for the holidays - such pretty pieces, I really love the two Madame Chantilly chart pieces.

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

I enjoy seeing all your stitching Carol.
I hope you had a wonderful birthday. May 2024 be good to you.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

What wonderful ornaments you stitched last year. So many lucky recipients too. I am sure Mr B loved his snowman ornament as much as the real thing.
Your snow is so pretty, and I love the modest use of the word "backyard" to describe the Winter Wonderland you have. It looks like the entrance to Narnia to me!
I hated taking our tree down this year too, it hadn't dropped at all and still looked as good as the week we put it up. I also have a garland with gifted ornaments, an idea that was inspired by your blog, so thank you for the inspiration.

Robin in NJ said...

Carol,
I am so glad I am finally making it a point to catch up on the posts I have missed (Ignored?) for the last few months. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing all the ornaments you stitched. The stitching is great and so is your finishing! And wow, what a treasure trove of all your Prairie Schooler and other ornaments. I do hope this last year in your 60’s does prove to be a year filled with good memories. I am right behind you in the age category. Thanks for sharing all your lovelies. Robin in NJ