Thursday, May 25, 2023

Slowly getting back to normal

I think (notice, I said "think") this will be a short post for me as I'm still not feeling well after getting sick on Mother's Day 12 days ago! For months we've been working with my little grandson on sharing and, unfortunately, what he so generously "shared" with all of us that weekend, was his cold. And it was a bad one for some of us (raising my hand here!). Three days of a 101+° fever, ear pain, stomach issues, congestion, coughing, night sweats--ugh! I hadn't been sick since well before Covid started in early 2020 so I'd forgotten how yukky feeling sick really is. (Both my husband and I tested for Covid, too, but the tests came back negative). So... it was just one terrible cold/flu or something or other. I'm at the point now where I'm just coughing a bit and feeling very blah--absolutely no energy. I'd better find some soon, though, as my grandson is coming to visit next week for a few days! How are all of you doing? Spring allergies getting anyone down? I got lucky in that department and don't suffer from them, but everyone else in my family does.  

Stitching has been minimal, but I do have a couple of things to share with  you today. Thankfully, these were both finished before we went away for that (forgettable) Mother's Day weekend! My ornament for May is by Tralala and is called simply "Christmas Day." It had the prettiest border in the design, but I had to leave it off because I started the piece in the wrong place and I would have run out of room on the fabric. Luckily, it looks just fine without the border, don't you agree?

Tralala's "Christmas Day"

This is stitched "over one" on 25 ct. black Lugana with a mixture of overdyed and DMC threads. I did have to change some colors because of stitching on black. For the finish, I glued a mini pompom to Santa's cap and used some burgundy and white gingham fabric and tiny white rick rack to finish it into a pillow ornament. 

Don't you love the little bunny?


I then cut out a pair of holly leaves from sage green felt and added three button "berries" on the side for a little embellishment. Isn't it sweet? Here's a close-up for you:

A close-up of the holly I added

 

And, after at least 15 years, but possibly longer, comes this finish! I can't exactly say for sure when this was stitched, but I know it had to be between 2003 when I returned to stitching after a 10 year hiatus and 2009 when I began my blog. Who else stitched one of these sweet Valerie Pfeiffer bird designs? They were very popular in the early 2000s and they've retained their charm. This one is "Story Time" and features a trio of baby Golden-Crowned Kinglets (I believe!) perched on a branch. It is stitched on 28 ct. antique white Monaco and I'm sure I used the suggested colors because, way back then, I wouldn't have dared to vary from what was on the chart. How times have changed!

"Story Time" by Valerie Pfeiffer--finally framed after at least 15 years!

Anyway, I was looking through my boxes of thrifted frames when this one caught my eye. There are subtle shades of sage green in it and I thought that it just might work for the birds. It was a bit too narrow, but I actually like the effect. I wish you could see the colors in real life--the soft browns, yellows, and greens all play so nicely together and there is even a hint of pale purple! I have other Valerie Pfeiffer bird trios charts so expect to see more feathered fellows appearing in the future. 

Giveaway winner... I truly enjoyed reading your responses to my "Getting to Know You" question in my previous post about advice that your mothers had passed on to you. There were several folks who wanted the Sue Hillis chart "Home is Where Your Mom Is" and the name I pulled from the hat is...

Gabi in Germany!

Congratulations, Gabi--you are the winner!

Congratulations, Gabi! I will get this chart off to you sometime next week and I hope you'll keep the kindness going and pass it on to another stitcher after you are finished. And for those of you who didn't win... please check this space for future giveaways!

I'll leave you with some of the pretty flowers appearing in our yard this month. There is something so reassuring about spring flowers returning year after year, isn't there? In this uncertain world, they offer a sense of normalcy and continuity. 

May blooms in my garden (clockwise from top left): purple clematis, rhododendron, purple columbine and ferns, and Korean lilac

And this pretty scene is in front of the gate to our patio. My husband and I dug up several of these ferns to pass on to my son and daughter-in-law for their new home. The pink coral bells came from my mom and dad's garden many years ago and it will be nice to give them some of those, too, for their garden. I know they'll find a special spot for them! I have such fond memories of sitting on my parents' patio watching as wee hummingbirds darted to and fro gathering nectar from these delicate pink flowers...

Love the combination of ferns, blue salvia, and pink coral bells!

I hope everyone here in the U.S. has a relaxing Memorial Day weekend! We have no special plans although I'm sure my middle son and his girlfriend will come over for a cookout at some point. Hopefully, next time I post I'll be back to my old self. This illness sure took a lot out of me for some reason--I think it takes longer to recover when you are older. Do take care now and I thank you for stopping in today! Bye for now...

Wishing everyone a safe and relaxing Memorial Day!

31 comments:

Gabi said...

Wow, what a surprise on a clear and sunny friday morning. Never expected to win. Yippieh !
Yor Santa stitching is as beautiful as ever. I like it! And the 3 birdies, very nice. We have a poem here in Germany about 3 little sparrows and your stitching reminds me.
Sorry to hear about your cold, hope you feel better now. Wish you all the best.
Wish you a wonderful week-end and send warm greetings.
Hugs, Gabi

MartinaM said...

Oh dear, I hope you feel better soon, that sounds like a real flu. Thank you, we're fine, we don't suffer from allergies, just from us our noses run a bit in the morning due to the early, still cold temperatures, and very warm at noon. But not really bad.
Your new Christmas motif is very pretty, I like it, even without a border. And your finish again very perfect.
oh i love birds and your three little birdies are so cute, great in the frame it all fits together.
How beautifully your flowers are blooming
enjoy your weekend
I send warm greetings
Martina

butterfly said...

Hope you are starting to feel a little better my friend .
Just love your new Christmas stitch and finish , it's so sweet and love the bunny rabbit , oh those three little chicks are so sweet , I love them.
Well done to Gabi.
Love your garden flowers and the last picture of the fence , looks like it could be used for a nice setting love it.
Have a good week and a sunny one , hugs June.

Manuela said...

Hallo Carol,
ohje, ich hoffe dir geht es bald wieder richtig gut. Erkältungen sind nicht schön und ich habe auch das Gefühl, je älter man wird um so länger dauert eine Erkältung.
Dein Weihnachstfinish ist süß und wie immer perfekt zu einem Fully Finish verarbeitet.
Der Rahmen passt perfekt zu dem Vogeltrio.
Ein schönes Wochenende und a big Hugs, Manuela

Marilyn said...

Oh Carol, I hope you get rid of that nasty bug soon.
Your Santa is o very pretty with the small touches.
And those birds!
So very cute especially in that gold frame.
Very pretty flowers.
My neighbor gave me some Coral Bells they are thriving!
The tiny flowers are so pretty.
I hope you can have a good weekend despite being sick.
Take care.
Marilyn

Stasi said...

Oh Carol, So sorry the "bug" has been lingering for so long. I know how you're feeling and it isn't fun. I agree that it takes longer to recuperate as we get older. Ugh!!!
The Santa is adorable and your finishing, as always, perfection! The birds look great in that frame.
Hope you're up and running soon! Have a nice weekend, but don't overdo.

Maureen said...

Hello! Sorry to read how sick you have been. Our grandson shared it with us as well....twice~ It's a nasty virus that does take it's sweet time leaving so continue to take good care of yourself.
Thank you for your lovely blog post :)

Mayte said...

Que maravilla de labor, en lugana y en negro¡¡¡¡-.... espero que estés recuperada de tu gripe, las flores son preciosas y los pájaros son preciosos....

Isabel para ALROMASAR said...

A beautiful embroidery with a magnificent design
I hope you feel better from the flu and have more energy.
Kisses from Spain

Vickie said...

Each of the finishes you shared are darling Carol.
I love those ferns. Are they Ostrich Ferns? We had them in our Greendale home garden. Just loved them.

Jackie's Stitches said...

I'm so sorry you've been sick Carol!

Your ornament is wonderful and the bunny is so so cute! Love the ears!

Millie said...

Carol, so glad you are feeing better. W?ere you tested for RSV That sounds like what you may have had. Love the little Santa and his sweet bunny. Nice finish! Take care. Thanks for sharing your lovely flowers with us.

Shelly said...

Sorry you've been under the weather! Hope you're feeling better when Mr. B comes to visit. I don't have allergies but I do have a dry cough, a side effect from my new blood pressure pills, ugh. I think Christmas Day looks great without the border, and your FFO of it spectacular! These bright Christmas designs look so great on black. Take care, Carol!

marly said...

I love that Santa. No border necessary, perfect as is. So sorry you have been ill, sure sounds like Covid symptoms! Hope you get your strength back and enjoy Mr. B's visit. Love the delicate combo with the ferns at your gate. Very nice!

Susan said...

Good morning Carol!
So very sorry you have been sick! That is NO fun, but happy to hear you are on the mends now!
I love the Santa and Bunny in Christmas Day! And stitching on black makes is more adorable!
I truly get a lot of my inspiration from reading your blogs! The main inspiration was getting my Pottery Barn cubby UP! I finally did it and having such a fun time filling it up! I’ve made a little corner and will have to get a picture to you! Your finishing is beautiful! I have so many things to finish….it’s just not my favorite thing! LOL! But when the mood hits, I finish a lot at a time…like conveyor belt!
I hope you enjoy Mr. B’s visit and that everyone stays well this time!
Enjoy your Memorial Day weekend!
Susan 😊

Carol in Texas said...

Carol, I am so sorry you have been so ill. It sounds awful! And your grandson is coming back for another visit soon…..I hope he leaves his germs at home this time. The first year I taught school 4th grade, I bet I caught everything the kids brought to school….so many stomach viruses!!!! It was awful. Each year it got better as I built up immunity to stray bugs. But I was in my 20s and you are right, as we age it seems harder to shake off some bug. I hope you are soon back to your normal-feeling self. I love this Christmas ornament! It is charming. I like the black background too and your finishing touches are precious. I’m always glad to see one of your blog entries, so thanks for checking in while still under par.

Christel said...

J'espère de tout coeur que vous serez remise de ce gros rhume et moins fatigué pour l'arrivée de BabyB.
Nous avons notre d'allergies à la maison, mais également chez notre grand Baptiste. Valentin notre plus jeune fils, ainsi que nos deux petites-filles et notre belle-fille résistent.
Le modèle de chez Tralala est très joli même sans la frise autour. De toute façon la finition est tellement belle qu'il n'y en avait pas besoin.
Le cadre convient parfaitement à ces charmants petits oiseaux. Je crois que j'ai un modèle de Valerie Pfeiffer ranger dans un tiroir. Je ne saurais dire lequel, il faudrait que je recherche.
Bravo Gabi, vous aller vous régaler à broder ce joli modèle. La maison est charmante..
Votre jardin est resplendissant. Toutes ces fleurs ce n'est que du bonheur. Chez nous les géraniums vivaces sont fleuris ainsi que les sauges rustiques mais c'est tout pour le moment. J'ai juste mis en pot quelques géraniums lierre, des annuels, dans 2 jardinières à côté de la porte d'entrée.
Prenez soin de vous, à bientôt.
Amitiés de France.

http://thankfullga447 said...

No fun being under the weather for that long but sometimes it does take that long. Love your ornament, I need to get started on ornaments, I stopped for a few months. Get better!

Robin in Virginia said...

Carol, I do hope you are feeling better and more like your self soon. Your May ornament is adorable. The trio of birds you framed is sweet. Hope you have a relaxing weekend. Thinking of you!

Jill said...

Gosh, sounds like a doozy of a cold. It’s crazy when one’s sick, they are not up to doing something simple such as hand stitching. Santa is too cute finished with his white pom pom and checked fabric. A border most likely would have been too much. The flowers are lovely. My clematis haven’t bloomed yet. May you feel better soon so you can make the most our of your family’s visit!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Sorry you’ve been feeling poorly, those children do love to share!
The Santa on black fabric is gorgeous, I always think I should stitch more ornaments on black every time I see your finishes!
The garden is looking lovely too.

Katie said...

Get well soon. I got a sore throat a few days before Memorial Day weekend and thought oh no but luckily it's gone now. I do have a head full of plugged nose cavities thanks to allergies though.

I love your frame and finished Santa. Just beautiful.

Have a wonderful week.

Faith... said...

Carol, I hope this finds you feeling better; at least little bit. I do hope Mr. B doesn't bring anything along with him this time except a lot of fun for you guys! Your ornament finish looks great and I do love the little bunny! Your leaves are super cute. Your Story Time birds look great too. Valerie Pfeiffer has plenty of adorable bird charts, I especially like the chart she has called Christmas Chick with the bird wearing a Santa hat.

Congratulations Gabi!

Take care Carol and feel better!!

Jutta said...

Dear Carol,
oh you've been really sick, the symptoms don't sound good.... so many at once. Get well soon and all the best to you.
But you have embroidered a new pattern, very cute ... and so are the little birds ;-) I also like your garden photos, that's a nice post from you.
Hugs Jutta

Alhana said...

Dear Carol,
I hope you get well soon. I've been down with allergies —it happens every year around this time. Your ornament finish is very cute, I love the holly leaves and berries, and that frame looks perfect on your "Story Time" birds.
Take care and have a great start of June!

Nanci said...

Love the Christmas Day and have added that to my 123Stitch cart already. I am sorry to hear you've been sick but sounds like you are on the mend. Back in October I picked up something from my grandson and it took almost a full month before I was back to my old self. Those little ones carry some pretty serious germs. Enjoy this beautiful weather and can't wait to see what Patriotic stitching you are doing.

Leonore Winterer said...

So sorry to hear you've been sick - I caught a really nasty cold this year myself and felt awful for some time, but I got better and I hope you will be soon as well! Your stitching is lovely though, both the old and the new.

Irene said...

Oh Carol che brutta influenza! Vedrai che quando starai meglio ricamerai moltissimo, mi piace tanto la tua rifinitura dell'ornamento di Natale!

Julie Wright said...

Beautiful pieces- as always! Love seeing the coral bells. I, too, used to love seeing the hummingbirds enjoying their nectar.

Robin said...

Oh Carol. I’m right there with you with the head cold that seems to be lingering. 9 days and counting and finally feeling better. My poor husband has been sleeping on the couch because of all my coughing even with taking Nyquil at bedtime. I hope you get a second wind before your grandson comes for his visit.

I just love how crisp and clean your Christmas Day finish.

I love your ferns. I’ve never had good luck with them. Coral belles on the other hand…..I have a ton. Yes, it is lovely to watch them flow in the breeze.

Take care and stitch when you can.

Jennifer said...

Hope you are back to normal now Carol - it’s no fun getting all the toddler bugs. Two lovely finishes for you - love the details on the pillow. And congrats on getting one of the older ones out and finished - it’s a perfect spring and summer piece!