Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Three angels and a tiny devil!

Happy end of April... Hope you've all had a great month! It's been a busy one here with a visit from my grandson and his family last week, doctor visits, and the usual spring cleaning that seems to call to me at this time of year. I've managed to get a bit of stitching done, but have had some eye troubles the past couple weeks and that has limited the hours normally spent with my needle and thread. Hopefully, things are improving--if not, it's back to the eye doctor... Anyway, I've been avoiding too much time on the computer in an effort to rest my eyes so I haven't been able to comment on many blogs or answer many emails lately. Hope to catch up with each of you very soon!

I did manage to stitch two very sweet angel ornaments--one for April and one for May. Both of these were from the Birds of a Feather "Christmas Angel Ornaments" chart that was lent to me by a very generous stitcher in California. I had been wanting to stitch these for a long, long time and was thrilled when I was offered this rare chart. For obvious reasons, I chose to stitch the Angel of Peace first. Isn't she simply lovely? I used most of the suggested colors, but did change the color of her skin, hair, and cheeks. I also chose not to stitch the word "Peace" using the suggested gold metallic thread that I used in her halo and wing. (The less I have to stitch with that stuff, the better!). Because I knew I wanted to finish this as an oval ornament, I tightened the spaces between the letters. The original design had them spread out to extend from the ends of her feet to the olive branch that the bird is carrying. I was thrilled to find the cute polka dot ribbon in the same blue/green shade in my very own stash!

Birds of a Feather "Angel of Peace"

 

May's ornament (yes, I'm ahead by a couple of days!) is the Angel of Hope. For her, I changed the color of the skin, cheeks, and hair, but also changed the blue/gray in her dress dress to Gentle Arts "Old Blue Paint." That same color was also used to stitch the word "Hope." It's hard to tell from the photo, but the star she is holding is also done in gold metallic thread along with her halo and portions of her wing. I just love those sweet little feet dangling from her dress, don't you?

Birds of a Feather "Angel of Hope"

Here they are side by side--I smile each time I look at them. With each and every stitch, I thought of the people in Ukraine. It's hard to believe this horrible war has been going on for over two months now. I just can't imagine all that those brave people are enduring day in and day out. My heart is with them all...

Hope and peace--what we all want to see in this world

There are two more angels from this BOAF chart remain that remain to be stitched. I wasn't going to stitch them, but these first two turned out so darling, that I can't resist. So, expect to see the Angel of Love and the Angel of Charity popping up in the future. And again, I want to extend my sincere thanks to the wonderful stitcher who lent me her chart!

I received an very charming Easter card from my friend Gabi in Germany, too! Isn't this adorable? The little white rabbit looks so dapper with his red bandana--and I love the purple of the flowers. They remind me of violets. Thank you so much, Gabi--I love it!

Sweet Easter card from Gabi in Germany!

Giveaway winner... Thank you to all who entered the giveaway last time! I really enjoyed reading your answers as to what your grandchildren call you or what you called your own grandparents. There were some fun and unique nicknames, for sure! I had about ten entries and the winner's name pulled from the hat for the Lizzie Kate Mothers chart is...

DONNA (dputnam28)

Donna, you are the winner! Please contact me with your mailing address and I'll get this out to you as soon as possible.

I'll be having more giveaways in the future, so please visit often!

Now on to the "devil" part of my post... Those of you who follow me on Instagram (and if you'd like to follow me there, you can do so right here), have already seen my "public service announcement." But, I honestly think this is something everyone should be aware of--whether you are a stitcher or not. So begins my cautionary tale...

My sunroom is normally such a bright and cheerful spot--I do all of my finishing there, set up my Christmas tree at the far end each December, and read, cross stitch, and listen to audiobooks on the comfy wicker furniture. I also do my ironing in there and that is what I was doing when I happened to glance over at my very small (but, growing!) sampler wall. My eyes widened in horror! What on earth was that yellow "blob" in the lower left corner of my "A Walk in the Woods" sampler?

At first glance, this just looks like a lovely trio, doesn't it?

 

As I cautiously moved in for a closer look, I realized that it was a small pile of sawdust! What on earth?!?!

A pile of sawdust in the lower left corner!

Not only had the sawdust accumulated on this frame, but it has also fallen onto the frame below!

And more sawdust on the frame below...

It had even sprinkled onto the table and floor below the frames!

Even more sawdust on the table and floor underneath!

It was at this point that I began to feel physically sick to my stomach realizing that SOMETHING WAS LIVING  inside the frame! Was it termites, carpenter ants, a nest of stinging wasps? I slowly stepped away, holding my breath and hoping that nothing would emerge as I was in the house alone. I'm not the bravest person when it comes to bugs of any kind (just ask my husband who can attest to my screams each time I encounter a wasp or stink bug lurking in a corner!).  As soon as my husband arrived home, he was greeted with "Honey, we've got a problem"--words all men love to hear, I'm sure! As I showed him the sawdust, he thought it might be termites and carefully removed the frame from the wall and took it outside. In the bright, outdoor light, we saw 10 or 12 teeny tiny holes that had been bored into the frame on both the left side and front.

Can you spot the pinprick holes?

 
And there were even more on the side of the frame!

I couldn't quite believe it was termites so, putting my retired librarian skills to work, I researched "bugs and wooden picture frames" online and quickly came up with a diagnosis. According to this very helpful article, my frame was infested with powder post beetles. EWWWW... I immediately took the above photos and sent them to my framer who confirmed my suspicions. She apologized profusely and said this was the first case she had seen in one of her frames in over three years.  She immediately offered to reframe the piece and assured me that the beetles aren't interested in eating fabric or paper--their meal of choice is wood. She also told me they would be destroying their entire inventory of this particular moulding and notifying the manufacturer to prevent this from happening to anyone else. Excellent, excellent customer service, I must say!

I  then carefully placed the infested frame in a plastic bag to isolate it as I prepared to send it back to the framer. When I came downstairs the following morning, one of the little devils had bored out of the wood. EEK!!! So very tiny (under 1/4 inch), but so very destructive. More sawdust kept appearing so I know more of the larvae were hatching, too.  Ironically, my sister in Florida had this exact experience with a newly purchased table the very same week. Apparently, the powder post beetles lay their eggs in the crevices of wood where the larvae don't hatch for months or even years. As the weather warms up, April to June is a common time for them to make their appearance. I had this framed back in July of 2021--amazing that the beetles "lie in wait" that long. Ugh!

A powder post beetle had hatched! Eeeeek!

So, check your frames and anything made of wood in your home! If you have a pile of sawdust nearby--chances are it is that little guy's cousins who are hatching and boring through the wood. What an experience--I mean, who knew? Anyway, my framed sampler is "in the shop" for an extreme makeover... Sure hope not too many larvae are found by the poor framer when she dismantles it. 

How are you feeling after that little tale? Honestly, my stomach still gets queasy just writing this all down once again. I had trouble sleeping until the frame was out of the house. Hopefully, that is the end of my experiences with the powder post beetle!

You sharp-eyed readers will wonder about my blog title as it mentions three angels, doesn't it? Well, I'll leave you with something much nicer than the photo of that nasty beetle. How about this little angel? My 21-month-old grandson was here for a visit last week. Oh, what a joy! He's talking up a storm and repeating each and every word and expression. Each time you hand him something, he sweetly says "Tank you!" and when he or someone else fixes something, he exclaims, "Eg-go go!" (his version of "There you go!"). We had such fun as we played and played while his mom and dad worked. Here he is helping us rearrange the little bunny, squirrel, and turtle statues that I have in our patio garden. Such a precious boy...

My little gardener, Mister B, at work!

Mother's Day is very early here in the U.S. this year and I don't think I'll post again before then so I want to wish all of you mothers a lovely, lovely Sunday on May 8th. I'm planning on being with all three of my sons in Washington, DC that weekend if all goes as planned! This will be the first Mother's Day we've all been together in many years. I sure am missing my own mother, but being with my sons, daughter-in-law, and grandson will help ease that pain. Thank you all for visiting me today--and a special thank you to those who take the time to leave a comment or send an email. I never know if anyone is actually reading my blog unless I hear from you. I do appreciate each and every comment--thank you so much. See you in the merry, merry month of May! Bye for now...  

Hoping for peace very soon!

41 comments:

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Happy Thursday, Carol. First off, Mr. B. is as cute as a button and is growing like a weed. Your angel ornaments are fabulous. Their faces are so adorable. I saw your IG post earlier and was amazed at the little beetle. I have seen holes like that in old wood. Yikes that it was in your frame, but so glad that you was able address it . Have a great weekend and happy stitching. Hugs

Sandra said...

Beautiful Peace and Hope Angel stitching! So lovely to see your little grandson growing up and continuing to be so adorable. Not a pleasant to discovery that you had wood eating beetles in your wooden frames. Yes, Mother's Day is early this year (the same date as you) it's often around my birthday on May 15th!

MartinaM said...

Those are two sweet angels. Oh yes, the rabbit with his violets is pretty.
Oh dear, I've never heard of such bugs, but I can understand your horror very well.
That sounds like a nice planned Mother's Day, I sincerely wish you a great get-together with your whole family.
happy stitching, Martina

butterfly said...

What lovely angels so cute .
I love that kind of stitch that's cute or little girls .
We already had Mothers Day a few weeks ago.
OMG I run when I see anything creepy or flying inside the house , I don't mind them outside if they stay there.
What a cute little man your GS is growing so much.
Have a fun week my friend .
I am Spring cleaning too. Hugs June .

The Knitting Cross Stitcher said...

Your stitched angels are delightful Carol.Your grandson is gorgeous.I love their inquisitiveness at that age and joy of life.

I hope your eyes settle down so that you can stitch more.It is no fun having your stitching time curtailed.
I have dry eyes and the early stages of cataracts,hence less of the stitching these days and more of the knitting.I have always had dodgy eyesight,so I am as used to it as one can ever be.

Oh my! When I saw your IG post I was horrified for you.Thank goodness,that frame is gone and your stitching was unharmed.
We had a little mouse in the kitchen in January.Never had this in 40 years of living here.When I saw it dash under my fridge I was shocked to my core.Husband came home and found me with the floor mop in my hand ,hovering by the kitchen door.We did catch it after two days and decided it was most likely brought in when husband fetched a bag from our shed.We live rurally so rodents are our,out of sight,neighbours.
It took several weeks for me to feel like my kitchen was mine again and I was rather paranoid about keeping doors closed.
It must have been the cleanest kitchen in england by the time I finished!

Wishing you a Happy Mothers Day for 8th May and I hope you do get to be with your sons' after such a long time not all being together and ofcourse with your daughter in law and Mister B.

Lesley x

Kay said...

Oh my, your post has struck a cord with me. I have a little coffee table next to the sofa and on the shelf underneath it we found lots of sawdust yesterday and really wondered how it had got there. I will get my husband to investigate further later. X

Marilyn said...

Your Angels are too cute, can't wait to see the other 2!
Who would think of something living in your stitching.
Glad you are getting your piece re-framed. Ewwwwww!
Mister B is too cute! :)
Happy Mother's Day to you & your Mom.
Marilyn

Irene said...

Bravissima la tua corniciaia, spesso quando passa il tempo dicono che è colpa tua se ci sono insetti! A me è capitato con delle sedie e due poltrone, le ho trattate con un disinfestane, per ora funziona, vedremo quando farà più caldo. Adorabili i tuoi angeli :)

Vickie said...

Love, love, love these angels! Makes me think of my Mom of course, since I stitch an angel for her every year and her favorite color is blue. :)
Your grandson is such a darling. My desire for grands has gotten so bad I am trying to be a matchmaker! And my two singles are not going for it! ;)
I am so happy you will all be together for Mother's Day. Wonderful!

Theresa Grdina said...

Your post was most interesting! Who would have thought a beetle was living in your sampler??!?!? Your angels are magnificent. That pattern (and the nativity) need to be re-released. Thank you for sharing.

Isabel para ALROMASAR said...

Tres Ángeles muy hermosos, Barbara!!
Los bordados son ideales y tu nieto se ve muy educado y es muy guapo.
Espero que tengas un buen fin de semana.
Besos desde España

besomom said...

I saw your post on IG about the beetles in your frame. Yikes! Thanks for the PSA! I am also horrified by bugs, and stink bugs especially freaked me out because they are so big and difficult to kill. I bought a contraption called a Bugzooka and it has made me quite brave. You can easily suck up bugs at an arm's length, no squishing necessary. I just checked Amazon and the price has increased a lot since I bought mine a few years ago, but I still recommend it.

Robin in Virginia said...

Your angels are precious, Carol. Mr. B sure is a cutie. Ewww on the beetle! Glad it is being repaired and even happier to hear they don't care for fabric, fiber or paper. I hope you have a wonderful time in DC and a most enjoyable Mother's Day with your men and daughter in law. Thinking of you!

Jennie in GA said...

Adorable angels. If there are more in that pattern, I would surely be stitching them!!! Oh, no!! Have never heard of those nasty bugs. Hope they didn’t cross over onto the adjacent frames😵‍💫. Your grandson has the cutest haircut. Glad you will be able to enjoy Mother’s Day with your family.

Katie said...

Beautiful stitching and kiddo pic but wow what a crazy thing to happen. Glad the shop is being so kind. That's rare nowadays unfortunately. So glad to hear about your Mother's Day plans. Have a blast.

Anonymous said...

First of all, Mister B is just such a cutie pie, Carol. It really is so wonderful that you get to see him so often and enjoy seeing all of his changes and growth. I truly wish you and your family a Happy Mother’s Day visit - very special for all.
The Peace and Hope Angels you stitched are so cute - I bet we are all looking forward to seeing Love and Charity. The bunny card that Gabi gave to you is so nice, too! A handsome rabbit!
Your experience with the powder pest beetles is quite interesting. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of them before (and hope I never experience them either. Ick!) The framer was so helpful for you and I’m sure very unhappy that you had this happen. Who would ever even imagine this experience? I would never have expected anything like that. What happened with your sister’s table? Was it the same problem with.powder pest beetles?
Hope your eye problem is very much improved and, again, best wishes to you for a very Happy Mother’s Day!

Barb R.🌸🌺 🌹

Anonymous said...

Beauteous pieces, as always, Care. Really love the little bunny that was gifted to you as well. Glad you were so cautious with that frame. I can only imagine the havoc they can cause! As for Mother’s Day, so glad you’ll be with everyone. The beginning of May has been hard the past couple years— Mother’s Day and mom’s birthday. She would be so happy that you’ll have time with everyone.

Anonymous said...

I love your blog. I look so forward to it. I am also a retired librarian. Your work is beautiful. I dont get as much done as you do. Have a great mothers day.

Pamela said...

Love your angels and their special meaning! And so lucky to have spent time with your precious grandson. Enjoy Mother’s Day with your family.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I love your angels, all three of them!
But not the bugs. I've not heard of them, I assumed woodworm would be the culprit. Now I have to go and google to see if we have them here.
The bravest thing I ever did was go back into a room with wasps in to open the window so they would fly out. They had made a nest in the roof space above my bathroom and all hatched out early one morning!

Suzanne H said...

Have a wonderful Mother's Day! I often read your blog on my phone and have difficulty commenting from there. I love your little angels and the angel stitcher who sent you the pattern. Lovely work.

Sande Meilander said...

I have been reading your blogs for a while now and reviewed them from previous years and never once thought to write you to let you know I enjoy them every much! Forgive me. We have similar tastes and I have followed several of your chart and color changes. Your darling grandson is adorable and you are truly blessed! Enjoy your Mother’s Day and time with family. My Birthday is on Mother’s Day this year and we will be celebrating our Great Grandsons 5th birthday on that date too. We’re birthday buddies! Thanks for the Stitching Dreams!

marly said...

How is that baby turning into a little boy already?? So happy for you two that their move allows you to enjoy these days with him. And he gets to spend more time with grandparents.

Sweet angels. My sister learned that her prosthesis can be printed with art, photos, poetry, anything, so she chose an angel image.

Enjoy mother's day with your devoted family.

Anonymous said...

Carol, I’ve been reading your wonderful blog for years but have never commented. But, this post reminded me of the same experience I had many years ago. I had purchased a long wood bowl from a catalog and had it about a year when I noticed little piles of sawdust on the table it was on. It had the same tiny holes in it as your frame. Like you, I panicked and thought of termites and all the wood furniture and moldings in my house. The business was nice enough to replace it and told me to place the replacement in a plastic bag and put it in the freezer for a period of time. I never had another problem but it was real cause for concern. I enjoy seeing your beautiful stitching and often we have stitched the same pieces. In fact, I purchased the chart for “A Walk in the Woods” after you stitched it. After seeing it again today, it’s time I get it stitched already. Your grandson is just adorable and it’s so nice that they are closer and you can spend more time with him. I have 2 grandsons who are 11 months and 15 months. We are having so much fun with them. It’s just the best!! Well, I thought it was time to drop in and say “hi” instead of just loitering in the background. Thank you for the time you spend writing your blog. I enjoy each one! Enjoy your Mother’s Day with your family. Cherie in WI

Karen Motsinger said...

Oh ny! I've never heard of beetles destroying wood picture frames. What a awful experience for you, Carol. So glad they didn't harm your stitched piece.

Georgia said...

Oh Carol, I loved reading your blog today, you are so creative with color changes and finishing. Your Angels are beautiful! Mr B is awesome it is so much fun watching him grow up:) As for the beatles, I really appreciate this information, I had no idea! Have a wonderful Mother's Day my friend, many blessings to you and yours:)

Christel said...

Oh Carol j'espère de tout coeur que vos avec vos yeux vont se résoudre très bientôt.
Le mois d'avril est passé très vite, avec Pâques et petite Lara venue chercher ce que le lapin de Pâques avait laissé dans le jardin. Ensuite j'ai eu la grippe qui m'a rendue bien plus malade que le covid.. Puis mes parents ont attrapés le covid, j'étais inquiète compte tenu de leurs âges(85 et 80 ans).. Mais tout va bien maintenant, ils sont encore très fatigués mais ça passera.
Ces anges sont magnifiques. J'espère comme vous que cette guerre cessera bientôt... Espoir et paix c'est en effet ce que nous voulons tous...
Bravo à votre amie Gabi pour cette jolie carte. Il est tout mignon ce lapin avec ses violettes.
Bravo à Donna, elle sera ravie de broder ce modèle de Lizzie Kate.
Je comprend votre terreur avec le coléoptère. J'ai également très peur des insectes... Je connais ce coléoptère, nous en avons eu dans une poutre du porche à l'extérieur de la maison, il y avait des petits tas de sciure un peu partout. Mon mari a traité la poutre et rebouché les minuscules trous avec un enduit et tout est rentré dans l'ordre. Heureusement que ça n'était pas dans la maison !
Je me doutais que c'était Mister B le troisième petit ange. C'est un pur bonheur que d'être grand-mère. D'ailleurs je le serai pour la deuxième fois dans à peine 1 mois. J'aurai alors deux fois plus d'amour à donner et je m'en réjouis d'avance.
Belle fête des mères à vous. En France c'est plus tard.
Amitiés de France,
Christel
http://toilesetfils.blogspot.com

Maggie said...

Oh Carol, I can totally understand you feeling physically sick when you thought something was living in your stitching, I would have felt the same, glad you spotted it and were able to isolate the piece. I bet you went round all your frames looking to make sure after that, I know I would have.
I love the angel ornaments, they are so sweet and very apt considering all that's going on in the world.
Mr B is so sweet doing his gardening, he is growing up very fast.
Hope you have a lovely weekend. x

Anonymous said...

Hi Carol - I enjoy your stitching dreams blog. I recently saw a pattern I liked on your 10/19/09 blog post. It was the pattern - not a creature was stirring. I purchased the 98' Just Cross Stitch magazine and to my disappointment the pattern wasn't in the magazine. I really want to stitch, it's so cute. Please help me find the stitching pattern. If you have the pattern, I would gladly purchase from you. I look forward to your response.

Thank you,
Norma Gonzales
normagonzales9093@yahoo.com

Kyle said...

The angel ornaments are adorable and you already have May completed!! I'm glad you noticed the sawdust when you did and that your framer replaced the infested frame. Happy Mother's day.

Manuela said...

Hello Carol,
your two new ornaments are wonderful and always a great finish.
Ich habe noch nie von dieser ARt Käfer gehört. Sehr nett und freundlich, dass dein Rahmenfachhändler, das Bild neu rahmen wird. Ich kann nur hoffen, dass in meinen gerahmten Bildern nicht auch solche Larven wohnen.
Ich wünsche dir einen schönen Muttertag mit deinen drei Söhen, Schwiegertocher und Mister B.
Hugs, Manuela

Sandy said...

I am just now getting a moment to catch up on my blogs. I think this is the longest I have ever waited to read yours as it is one of my favorites. Those angels and the special angel are just wonderful. Ukraine is definitely a reminder to enjoy and savor each day. You just never know! I always enjoy reading and seeing your lovely work. I do love the group you have started even if you had lousy luck with the frame. I am glad it was caught before it could do more evilness.

Vicki said...

Normally as I read posts I start organizing my comment in my mind. Well, when I got to the part about the Beetles, yuck!, my previous thoughts flew away. Oh my, what a shock that must have been. And I feel so bad for the framer.
Your angels are so cute. The colors are calm and serene. Just perfect for Christmas.
Your grandson is such a sweetie. I know how much joy he brings to you.
Happy Mother's Day! Enjoy your family time.

Jill said...

It’s very important to rest your eyes especially when one does fine close work. Do not hesitate to follow up with eye dr preferably sooner than later. Wow on the wood frame issue. Thank you for sharing. Certainly, the post will be helpful to others. I can’t help but wonder with so many wood products being imported from overseas if this will be a continuing concern. Angels are sweet especially on how they were finished. Enjoy your Mother’s Day weekend!

Leonore Winterer said...

You collection of angels is very sweet, but I think the last one might just be my favourite ;)
Your tale of the frame beetles is truly horrifying! I don't mind beetle as such, but I wouldn't want them eating my frames or furniture. There are plenty of trees to eat in the forest!

Faith... said...

I love how it is now "my grandson and his family" instead of my son and his family! The Angel ornaments look great and those are the two things that this world really needs more than ever right now. Do you still have Christmas decorations up? I am so worried about the people in Ukraine and even more for the children and the long term effects this will have on them.

Thank you soooo much for the warning of the tiny devil. I am so glad you noticed it before they moved on to another one or two of your frames. Your framer is offering you great customer service which is so hard to find these days so I think she is a keeper!

Enjoy your Mother's Day with your family!

Sandra said...

I do hope the woodworm didn't get to any of your furniture before you noticed, you will have to keep a vigilant eye open just in case. I think the frame shop need to check the rest of their wooden mouldings too, not just the one you bought. Love the angel ornaments, I may have to add those to my to do list, although when I'll get around to all this stitching is anybody's guess.

Sue Noetzel said...

Thanks you for sharing your PSA about the beetles. I will be sure to keep an eye out for the signs. Your ornaments are lovely as always. Thanks for sharing!

Shelly said...

Yikes! Bugs! Hate bugs! So glad your framer did what she did. Who knew? Cute angel finishes. Your grandson sure is growing and he's got that little boy haircut going on! Happy Mother's Day!!

Mary's Thread said...

I just LOVE these angel ornaments. They are also among my own "unicorn charts!" Your colors on them are so soft and lovely. I'm glad you had the chance to stitch them. On your IG post, I did remark my fascination with the little wood bugs. Of course you don't want them and just must get rid of them, but from a science perspective, I am always amazed by nature!

linenstitcher2 said...

What a pleasure to read your blog! I found it when searching for the Birds of a Feather Angels, and oh my! Your two finished angels are *stunning*!! I've been on the lookout for that pattern for years. Hopefully it'll turn up eventually, but in the meantime, I have another BOAF pattern that I can pull angels off of to stitch as similar ornaments. ... I was also shocked by your discovery of the powder post beetles! Yikes!! Thanks for the warning. I'll be scrutinizing my framed samplers much more closely in the future. ... I used to blog, and visiting yours reminded me how much I miss those days. I love seeing stitching photos on Instagram, but I miss getting to know the stitchers through their blogs.