Thursday, December 2, 2021

Christmas Stitching and Farewell to a Friend

It's December--can you believe it? And I've already finished the last of my 2021 monthly Christmas ornaments--can you believe that? Normally, I'm struggling to get that final one finished by mid-December, but this year I took the smart approach and chose a small, easy chart to stitch during this very busy month. This sweet design is a freebie by the talented Misty Pursel of Luminous Fiber Arts fame. If you are a subscriber to her newsletter, you'll be able to receive her charming design--you can sign up right here by clicking the red box at the top of her website. This is called "Joy" and is stitched "over one" on 28 ct. black Monaco. (Many stitchers ask me where I get the black Monoco. Unfortunately, it is no longer available and I'm still relying on the large one-yard piece I bought years ago). 

"Joy" by Luminous Fiber Arts

It's hard for me to get a good photograph on black, but, trust me--this is lovely in person! The silk I used is "Rubbed Magpie" by Hand Dyed Fibers. It's the prettiest variegated blue! In this case, I worked backward and chose the finishing fabric--a cute blue and black check--first. Then I chose the blue thread to coordinate with it. I had an idea in my head of how I wanted to finish this ornament from the very beginning and I'm very pleased with the final outcome. 

Love the long "tail" on this one!

I didn't add the stitches that were charted inside the letter "o" because it is stitched "over one" and it would have been too crowded. However, I did add three sparkling Swarovski crystals. I had the glittery blue and silver ribbon in my stash so I made a simple bow, attached a snowflake charm, and surrounded the outer circle with black cording and a long "tail."

Swarovski crystals add a fun bit of sparkle, don't you think?

How is everyone's Christmas decorating coming along? I've been enjoying doing a little bit each day rather than rushing through it and stressing out. I redecorated the small three foot tree that sits on our bookshelves above the television in the family room. It was looking pretty worn out after 20+ years so I removed everything and started from scratch. Red and white has been calling my name at Christmas for  the past couple of years, so I simply tied on some red and white gingham ribbons and added a few white lacy snowflakes from Target (which are years old).

A refurbished 3 foot tree in my family room

I have had the sweet gingerbread boy and girl ornaments for years, too, and I didn't want to part with them. So I removed their old hangers and attached new ones made of bright red ribbon printed with snowflakes and polka dots. The tiny, round glass red and white ornaments were purchased from Target last year. Love the stripes and dots--it's such a fun little tree for our small family room and casts a nice glow while watching television in the evenings.

Here's a brighter photo of the tree taken while I was working on it in my kitchen. You can also spot my snowman tree in the back corner.

Although our large tree is up, it is not yet decorated. I heard a ruckus in the room we now use as a nursery the other day and discovered that the Prairie Schooler Santas had had just about enough of being kept in that white under-the-bed storage box for the past year. They were not happy with me at all! So, my solution was to free them and display them in my Pottery Barn cubby! I can't tell you how much this display makes me smile--I wish I had thought of this years ago. 

Pure Prairie Schooler!

Do you have a favorite from these 29 handsome fellows? I think number 27, number 11, and number 18 are my top three. But, you know what? I truly love them all! Here are a few close-ups for you...



 

 






I always leave the middle cubby space for my mom's silhouette. This year I added a tiny white Santa to keep her company (along with those sweet ceramic shoes that were part of her childhood shoe collection). I miss her so much, but this time of year is especially hard... 




So, what do you think? Should I leave them here in the cubby or move them to my tree? In all honesty, my tree is getting "just a bit" crowded with cross-stitched ornaments so I may move half of them and leave the others here... we'll see!

Thanksgiving was wonderful, although we were missing my oldest son, daughter-in-law, and grandson who went to El Paso, Texas to celebrate the holiday with her family. Thankfully, they'll be here in just two short weeks to spend some extended time with us. In my previous post, I mentioned that I only had to provide cookies, pies, and the strawberry-pretzel salad for our family feast this year. Here are the baked goods I made--nine kinds of cookies (of which I froze half for Christmas) and two pies. Can you guess what the favorite cookie is in our family? Why, it's those yummy Reese's Peanut Butter Cup cookies on the blue plate in front. This is the recipe I've used for years: Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Cookies.

I wonder how much sugar and butter I used to make these?!

 

Many of you asked about the mysterious sounding strawberry-pretzel salad that I made, too! Well, it is not really a salad, but that's how we've served it at our Thanksgiving feasts for over 25 years. Here is a link to the recipe: Strawberry Pretzel Salad recipe. With it's bright red strawberry top layer, this makes a great side dish for Christmas dinner, too. And yes... I'll be making it again in a few weeks!

A sad farewell... Sigh... now I've reached the part of this post where I know I'll cry. In fact, I already am... Many of you have heard about the passing of our dear friend, Meg, from Live To Stitch. Although we knew her death was imminent based on her final post in August, it is still hard to believe that such a kind and generous and downright decent person is no longer here on earth. Meg started writing her blog in 2017 and in her last letter to me in late September, she told me that I was the one who inspired her and gave her the courage to start her blog. I was so touched, but I have to say that you, Meg--you are the one who taught me (and many, many others) so much about courage. You faced your diagnosis of metastatic breast cancer with such dignity and bravery. You were the inspiring one--in fact you still are. 

Meg sent me this lovely Christmas ornament in 2019. Not only is it beautifully stitched and finished, but Meg designed it herself! Oh she was so extremely talented in many, many creative and artistic ways. She then generously offered this design to anyone who wanted to stitch it in  this post from December 2019. If you would like to stitch this in honor of Meg, I think it would be wonderful... you can find her chart and instructions right here

 

My Christmas gift from Meg--2019

I mailed a Thanksgiving card to Meg in very early November--I think something told me that she might no longer be with us on the actual Thanksgiving. She passed away on November 19, 2021 leaving her beloved husband and son. She was only 48 years old... In my final note to her, I thanked her for her friendship, her inspiration, and, most of all, for her all-round kindness. I told her I would never forget her--and I won't. May you rest in peace, sweet Meg...

Please visit Meg's blog to see more of her beautiful work and read her inspirational posts...

 

I think this is a good time to sign off for now since my tears are making it hard to see the computer screen clearly. I do want to thank you all for your well wishes for my rib injury. It's definitely on the mend and I can now sit reasonably well. I am still having trouble sleeping on my left side (which is, of course, the side I normally sleep on!), but I'd say I'm about 80% better. 

I also want to thank you for all of your sweet comments and emails. My mother always said that I had the kindest group of commenters--I have to agree. I love hearing from you and, even if I can't always respond, I hope you know how much your friendship means to me. I think my friendship with Meg was indicative of how close the cross-stitching community is on social media. She was nearly 20 years younger than I am, but we had the bond of stitching tiny x's in fabric to create something beautiful and lasting... something for our loved ones to remember us by long after we're gone. Wishing each of you a peaceful December. Bye for now...

Day is done... December 2nd, 2021

48 comments:

Honeybee said...

Leave your PS Santas in the cubby! They look fantastic!

Sandra said...

Your blog entries are so full of news and different subjects, it's difficult to comment on them all. I was sad to hear about your stitching friend, Meg, I went to look at her blog and her beautiful work. So glad she did those gorgeous stockings for her husband and son before she passed on.

I think your Santas in the cubby look wonderful as one can see all the lovely details. I think I prefer them there than hanging on a tree. They're all so lovely that it's difficult to have a favourite, but I do have a soft spot for number 14 because of the setting of Santa in nature with a sledge and the red birds sitting in the pine branches and the two foxes!

I've never seen completely black stitching fabric before. The addition of the Swarovski crystals brightens up the dark colours.

Gabi said...

Hi Carol, again a wonderful post.
The santas look perfect in the cubby. A favorite one..... no, I love them all.Your latest ornie looks very elegant with the crystals.
Sorry to hear about the passing of Meg, I think I will stitch the ornie.
Have a wonderful X-mas time.
Gabi

Sandra said...

I love your Misty Pursel ornament finishing and I have saved a photo as a reminder, so that I might copy that type of finish one day, hope you don't mind. I was sorry to hear about Meg, I never read her blog on a regular basis but somehow I did read her final post at the time. I was amazed at her courage and the fact that she disabled comments so that her poor husband wouldn't have to deal with that after she was gone. I'm so sorry you lost a dear friend.

MartinaM said...

Your December ornament is also a real eye-catcher again, I love it.
Oh I love your Christmas decorations. just beautiful.
So many beautiful Santas and perfectly staged.
Yes, I have heard from Meg and it makes me sad, I pray for her family, who now have to get along without their mum and wife. I find such a loss particularly difficult at Christmas.
Enjoy December, Hugs Martina

Miriam said...

Ciao Carol, I am Miriam and write you from Italy. I know your blog since some years. I "discovered" on some English bloggers that I know. I want just to tell you that I like your blog and your cross stitch. I like cross stitch and crochet too.
Condolences for the lost of your friend.
Have a nice day,
Miriam

Irene said...

Adoro i tuoi ornamenti di Natale e il calore della tua famiglia, e quanti biscotti! Avevo letto l'ultimo post di Meg tempo fa e mi aveva fatto pensare, quante cose lasceremo incompiute in questa vita, ma va bene così. Spero tanto che ora sia in pace e che la sua famiglia trovi il modo di tornare a vivere bene. É bellissimo il suo schema.

maxi said...

Hello Carol,
your TPS Ornament so cute, i love them. Thank you for the link to Misty Pursel.
Have a peacefoll time and be healthy.
happy stitching
maxi

Babeth-Lili said...

Je laisserais les Santas dans le casier.

Passez de bonnes fêtes de Noël ! Nous devons partir de France pour être avec notre fils aîné, notre belle-fille et leurs 2 enfants à Montréal. Nous croisons les doigts et espérons qu'il n'y aura rien pour empêcher.

Je suis violette_._capucine sur IG

Marilyn said...

Your ornament is so pretty, as are your trees.
I think the PS Santas look great on your shelf, what a great collection.
My all-time favorite is the Santa with the crescent moon.
Thank you for the recipe links.
I'm so sorry to hear about Meg, her ornament is beautiful.
Have a wonderful weekend!
Marilyn

Vonnie said...

What a lovely post. Your Prairie Schooler Santas look wonderful in your cubby. Thank you for sharing your blog with us. I find so many inspirations each time. So sorry to hear about the loss of your dear friend. May you find comfort in your cherished memories of her.

Carin said...

The cubby is filled with such beautiful ornaments, I love them. Cross stitch is something I hardly do anymore, it is difficult for me after my TIA on Dec 1 in 2016. But I enjoy love seeing it from others.
So sorry to hear about your friend, I didn't know her blog and will visit there.
Hope you feel better soon.

Vickie said...

Joy is such a sweet little ornament. :) I love your little tree Carol! I guess I did not recall you had other trees. I just always think of your BIG tree! :) I definitely think the Santas should stay in the cubby. Thank you for the Strawberry Salad recipe. If I still had my mini muffin tins, I would make those Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Cookies! I sold them in the Big Rummage, and we have no room to store them here. :( I am sorry you are still having trouble with your rib. I do know from multiple injuries with my ribs how long the recoveries take.

Stasi said...

Carol, I love the Santas in the cubby and they won't get "lost" among all the others on your tree.
Thanks for writing such a beautiful tribute to Meg. She was definitely a courageous, sweet and inspirational friend to many! We have lost a soul sister!

Robin in Virginia said...

Love the Joy ornament you stitched by Misty! It looks fabulous in the Rubbed Magpie which gives me a suggestion for her Gathering Snowflakes design. I say leave the PS Santas in the cubby. They look fabulous there and won't get lost on your tree. What a beautiful tribute you have written about Meg! She will be missed greatly. Thinking of you, Carol.

Cathy H. said...

Your December ornament is beautiful! Such a sweet little brid singing it's little heart out! I vote for leaving the Santas in your shelf. They are such a unique collection of Santas and I love collections gathered together in one place. My favorites are 9 (because it reminds me of how much I enjoy hiking), 14 (because the snow and sled remind me of childhood fun), and 18 (well, just because I love this style Santa and redbirds.

The trees you have up are lovely. I used to decorate several and then stopped, may have to bring them out again this year. Can't wait to see your stitching tree!

I am truly sorry for the loss of your friend. I'm like you and have found several very close friends through my blog and photography classes. I'll keep her family and you in my prayers.

Ms. Wright said...

Really love 12, 16, & 19! The trees are looking so pretty! Love that you’ve such a supportive and caring community! Mom was definitely right about this great group!

JustGail said...

Your December ornament is gorgeous. It will be a while before I try stitching on black linen though! I vote to leave the Santas in the cubby. You wrote a very nice tribute to Meg.

Toni said...

Over 1 on black fabric?! You're my hero!
I'm so sorry about your friend, Meg. 48 is way too young.
I think the reason you have such sweet commenters is a reflection of your kindness and consideration. Like in the saying, "you get what you give".
I could look at your stitching all day long. It's so beautiful and your finishing is perfection. I love the PS Santas in the cubbies.
Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Alhana said...

It is always joyful to see your Christmas decoration up, all the ornaments you have stitched look goregous together! Definitely the Santas should stay in the cubby. :-)
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your dear friend Meg, her ornament is really beautiful and I will make it too as a tribute.
Hope you feel better soon, Carol. Thinking of you.

Stitchy Mc Floss said...

Beautiful post. Your stitching is always amazing. Thank you so much for your words about dear Meg. She touched the lives of so many of us, and truly we were blessed to know her. Wishing you a day full of many blessings. :)

Clare-Aimetu said...

Your twelve days are beautiful, so touching you have a special place for your Mum. Such a lovely tribute to Meg

Christel said...

Quel bel ornement pour clôturer cette année. Les cristaux donnent en effet une belle touche d'élégance à ce très joli modèle.
Je sors les décorations de Noël au fur et à mesure. Demain je ferai le sapin et Hervé mon mari s'occupera des décorations à l'extérieur.
Pas la peine de changer de place les Prairies Schooler, ils sont très bien dans le casier. S'ils faisaient du bruit c'était pour le rejoindre car on peut mieux les admirer que dans le sapin. Mais bon, peut-être que certains préfèreront qu'ils rejoignent l'arbre...
Pour le repas de Noël je n'ai rien préparé, je ferai cela 1 jour avant pas plus car le plats ne peuvent pas être congelés.
Que Meg repose en paix. Je vais aller visiter son blog.
Je vous souhaite un bel avent, prenez soin de vous.
Amitiés de France,
Christel
http://toilesetfils.blogspot.com


Kyle said...

I'm sorry for the loss of your dear friend, Meg. I know you will treasure her
sweet Christmas ornament. I love all your Santas in the cubbies. It makes a great display of all your beautiful work.

butterfly said...

Wonderful post Carol, I didn't know Meg ,but did get to see her last blog .
And yes you could not help but be upset , it took me back to the many friends I have lost this year.
I will stitch her blue house and will think of her with each stitch .

Your stitching is so beautiful I love your new ornament .
The Cubbies were made for those Santa's .
love all your trees they look wonderful.
Enjoy your weekend .

Rajani Rehana said...

Mind blowing blog

Manuela said...

Hallo Carol,
your December finish is so beautiful. Du gibst uns immer so viele schöne und unterschiedliche Ideen, ein Ornament oder Kissen fertig zu stellen.
Ich liebe dein Santa Shelf. Alle Santas sind wunderschön, der Favourit ist für mich die Nr. 3., das bringt für mich Erinnerungen an meinen Vater, der seine Modelleisenbahn über alles liebte.
Ich habe von dem Ableben von Meg gehört und war auch sehr traurig darüber. Sie hat so schöne Arbeiten gestickt und auch ihr Freebie habe ich abgespeichert. Ich denke ich werde es in Erinnerung an sie sticken.
Ich freue mich schon darauf deinen großen geschmüchten Weihnachtsbaum zu sehen, dass ist für mich schon fast eine Tradition geworden.
Ein schönes Wochenende and a big Hugs, Manuela

Pam in Virginia said...

Carol, your blue and black JOY is simply stunning!
And I agree with all the others here who are voting for the Santas to remain in the cubby.
Yesterday afternoon I decided to stop counting calories and made up a half batch of the Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. I'll be giving them to my grandchildren later today but won't tell them how many I smuggled away to keep for myself.
Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Pam Brackett

Shelly said...

A lovely tribute to Meg, Carol. I was shocked to learn she had passed. That's two cross stitch bloggers that cancer has taken from us, Pumpkin being the first. I still have her blog on my blog roll. Meg was the stitcher that I wanted to grow up and be like; she was never afraid to tweak patterns for different colors or fabric. I hope her blog will be left up as I often look at her beautiful stitching and framing.

Leave your finishes in the cubby, they look wonderful there. I like the fellows on top of the cubby. Love all your trees too, so pretty. Glad to hear you are on the mend also. Take care!

Jackie's Stitches said...

I was so sorry to read of Meg's passing. She definitely was so very kind. I didn't know she had designed an ornament so I have it printed and hope to stitch it. Thank you for steering all of us to her pattern!

I love your Santas in the cubby! I always love your Santas on black fabric. So striking!

Look at you getting Decembers ornament done early! Love this one too! The crystals are a very nice touch!

So glad you're feeling much better and feel well enough to enjoy the holiday season!

Mary said...

Carol, I think you should keep the PS Santas in the spot, they would get lost in your gorgeous tree and this way they are displayed for you to enjoy them all. The Joy stitch is just gorgeous and I love your finishing as always.
I am heartsick over Meg, she was the kindest soul. I will treasure her letters and the ornament she made for me, I have the same house and it will always be front and center on my tree.

Mylene said...

Hello Carol, i am so sorry to hear about the passing of your stitching friend Meg. Her ornament is truly beautiful.
"Joy" ornaments is so lovely finished and WOW! I LOVE your Prairie Schooler arrangements.
Hmmmmm....those cookies looks so yummy!

Katie said...

Another lovely carol post. I just LOVE joy on that beautiful dark fabric. Perfect. Love your decorations. the box is just perfect. I would say leave them right there. They look meant to be. Beautiful tribute to Meg. I unfortunately didn't know her which sounds like I'm the one missing out.

Lora said...

What are the dimennsions of the openings in the pottery barn cubby or gorgeous stitchery?

Mary's Thread said...

Carol, I love the cubby shelf with the PS Santas in it. I would just leave it like that and enjoy the ornaments in a different display this year. They really are showcased nicely! I can't pick a favorite though to me the blue ones are especially striking but that may be because the coordinate with your current blog colors so well!

The Joy ornament is very sweet. The colors are unexpected but work so well!

I love seeing your little trees (especially the renovated red and white one!), but I can't wait to see "the big one!" And those cookies all look delicious!

Your tribute to Meg was so touching. I wish I had known her! I have now gone and read her entire blog and it is lovely to get to know someone and be inspired by them that way. I hope I can be like her in some small way. And that I think is the sign of a good life!

Arlene G said...

Oh Carol, I had not heard about Meg's passing. I have had her on my mind and in my prayers after receiving her Christmas card several months ago. She was just a wonderful stitching friend and I do plan to do a stitch in her memory. I am hoping Blackbird designs will re release Remember Me. Your house looks wonderful and believe it or not, as much as I like PS, I have only stitched ONE Santa...the caroler. I did him on Perforated paper and he sits in my china cabinet. I hope you have a blessed Christmas with your family. We took Mother to the nursing facility yesterday and all went well but it was a very hard thing to do. An end of an era for our family.

Sheryl said...

Beautiful work on your last ornament, such a pretty and unusual finish. Each year I love to see your decorations and this year I really like how you have displayed ornaments in the cubby, much easier to see all the details of the wonderful work you have done over the years and I love the special space saved for your mum - always with you. Sorry to hear about Meg´s passing, such a pretty stitch she sent you. I hope you and your family will enjoy a lovely Christmas.

Sandy said...

Oh Carol, Thank you for letting us know about Meg. I have had her on my mind. I think we knew when she sent the card she wouldn't be here for Christmas. As I hung her ornament which I am so blessed to have, I knew it was a treasure and would always be a reminder of her and just the stitching community. I think I will stitch it myself as a gift to my daughter.
Strawberry Pretzel Salad is a bit hit here as well. It is my son's favorite "dessert." I make it for his birthday.
Your ornament is truly lovely and I think those PS Santas look amazing in that shelf altogether.
That tree is adorable too.

Eva H. said...

Carol,I love reading your lines.They are truly imbued with love.I'm sorry to read about your friend's death.My best friend passed away on January 1,2011...she didn't even know about my severe health problem. I miss her very much and think of her often. Yesterday I baked Christmas cookies that she and her family loved.I always made her a whole other batch...
I find embroidery to be the best relaxation.I knit,sew and crochet a lot-but embroidery is the best relaxation.
I wish you and your family a wonderful Christmas.
Every year on December 25th we all get together.For the second year I will sit with my Vladimir by the tree and reminisce about the wonderful times in years past.
In our house,Ježíšek(a little Jesus)comes on the evening of 24.12.There are presents from Ježíšek under the tree in the evening.
I wish you health, happiness and love for the next year.
Eva from the Czech Republic.

Unknown said...

Hi Carol,
I so appreciate your lovely blog and stitching! I hopped over to "Live to Stitch" - very sorry for your loss. Would you mind to share the designer for the Nostalgic Sleigh Ride you stitched for Meg? I love it!
Thank you!
Liz
liz.dragolovich@gmail.com

Cindy's cross stitch said...

Your little tree looks great. I really like the Santa's in the cubby. I do not comment on here a lot but read each one. I find to much social media is overwhelming. Looking forward to seeing the big tree. Sorry to hear about your friend Meg. Merry Christmas to all.🌻

Barb said...

Oh, once again your blog posting that you have shared with us is so wonderful, Carol. I think I first read it about a week ago but somehow I got interrupted and didn’t get to send my “thanks” for sharing it with all of us and leave you a comment.
So…where to start? I guess I must tell you how much I love the Prairie Schooler Santa’s in your PB cubby! I always love them on your tree but having each one in its own cubby is really so special. They really get to show off and it is truly impossible to pick a favorite - I love every single one of them. All your work is truly shown in the most wonderful way - truly perfection. Your new ornament “Joy” is also so beautiful. Your color selection is so pretty and your finishing is amazing! I love it too!
Your cookies look sooooo delicious! Yum! And the strawberry pretzel salad - oh my goodness!! Dinner at your house must be too much deliciousness!
I was sorry to read of Meg’s passing too. I have looked at her blog in the past and was always impressed with her posts and the patterns she shared with all of us. I do hope her family is doing as well as they can with these sad circumstances. It truly is never easy, it I hope they know that all of us wish them the best.
Is your grandson and his mom & dad coming soon? I hope you have a very happy, joyful and loving Christmas holiday! All the very best to all of you!
Merry Christmas! 🎄🎁
Barb R.

Jennifer said...

I didn’t know Meg but feel like I know what kind of stitcher she was from your post - so sad to lose her so young - my condolences to you Carol, even when we’ve never met our internet friends, they mean as much as our local/“live” friends. Glad to read that you are on the mend and hope that continues. Your December ornament is one of my all-time favorites that you’ve stitched - it is so stunning on the black and the ribbon and cording are perfect! Hope you are having a good month so far and I know you’re excited for your grandson to come for the holidays - I bet he will have so much fun this year and I bet you will too! Hope you all have a wonderful holiday!

Jennifer said...

Oh, and those Santas are so amazing in your cubby - skip the tree and leave them all there! You should get a commission on that cubby, no doubt a lot of stitchers have bought one thanks to you!

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

Your recent finishes are lovely as always Carol.
I think your display of your PS ornaments in the cubby is gorgeous. Do you find that you are looking at them more displayed like this?
Sorry to read of the death of your friend Meg.

Jutta said...

Dear Carol,
hank you for this wonderful post, I like your decorations very, very much, including the cookies ;-)
I am very sorry that you lost your girlfriend.
Have a nice 3rd Advent, all the best, Jutta

marly said...

Why am I missing your latest posts? Yes Meg was a remarkable woman, I am amazed of her strength and courage.

I think the cubbies really showcase the PS guys, standing proud!

Thanks for the recipes. I have been craving sweets since covid left me.

Leonore Winterer said...

Your new ornament is gorgeous, as are all the ones you stitched before! I really like the Prairie Schooler Santas in their little cubbies. I'm also glad you got to spend time with your family, and will again at Christmas. Thanks for showing us the pretzel "salad", I was very intrigued about that one!
I didn't know Meg personally, but reading your post she sounds like a wonderful person. It's always sad when a fellow stitcher passes, and so young too. It's kind of cool though, that her blog is still out there as a monument of her life and work.