Saturday, January 16, 2021

A new year and another birthday!

Well, it's a new year! Does it feel like one to you? In some ways,  it feels more like a continuation of 2020... and yet there is a feeling of hope in the air. I was reading over my first post from last January and I really had to laugh as the final sentence of that initial paragraph ended with the words "... it is going to be a good year!" If only I had known then... Well, at least I was optimistic! It was a very difficult year as we all know--dealing with COVID-19, the unrest in this country and around the world, all of the natural disasters that devastated so many, the death of my beloved mother, and the loss of both of my daughter-in-law's parents. Not what I could ever even begin to call a "good year." But, I have hope for the future and that is what keeps me going at times... 

Because 2020 was such a hard year for all, I tried to send out a lot of little gifts at the end of the year to bring a smile to some of my fellow stitchers. If it was at all possible to have sent something to each of you, I would have--you kept up my spirits and sent me so much love last year. And I truly appreciate each of you. But, I'm only human--and can only stitch and finish a few things to give away each year. Anyway, I thought you might like to see them, so here is a new parade--a parade of gifts to inspire you!

This sweet design is from the 2007 Just Cross Stitch Ornament magazine. It is a Little House Needleworks piece called "Snow Bunnies" and was stitched on 16 count Stardust Heatherfield with the suggested DMC threads. The bunnies are now making their home with a friend "across the pond" in jolly, old England.

You'll all recognize this as a Prairie Schooler piece! The chart can be found in PS Book No. 25: "Up On the Housetop." I used 40 ct. pearl gray Newcastle linen and most of the suggested DMC colors. I did change the house color to DMC 676, however. Just can't resist a tiny yellow house! This ornament is now residing in the beautiful state of Virginia.

This nostalgic design recalls simpler times and is a free design from Leisure Arts Magazine which you can find right here. I stitched only the top third of the "Winter Sampler" using Hand-Dyed Fibers silk in "Rubbed Magpie" on 28 ct. white Jobelan (stitched over one). A beautiful square of Woolies Flannel was used to accent these--love how well the blues coordinate! They went to friends in Michigan and Idaho.

This is the second time I've stitched this "With Thy Needle and Thread" cutie! It is called "St. Noel" and was stitched "over one" on 28 ct. Bayleaf Jobelan. I had to stitch the top part of each "X" in the white twice to get it to show up well enough. Not an easy feat with "over one" stitching! I also changed several colors to my favorite Prairie Schooler palette... This ornament is now living with a stitching friend in Illinois.

Having stitched this Prairie Schooler Santa for the third time, I think I have it memorized! You can find the chart in PS Book No. 62 called "Kris Kringle." I couldn't resist stitching this handsome guy carrying his pet Canada Goose for my sweet friend who lives in a gorgeous part of Canada!

I'm sure you will all recognize this sweet JBW gingerbread boy as this is now the fifth time I've stitched it... The other four went to the babies of friends and relatives on their first Christmases. FINALLY--I get to stitch one for my own grandson, Baby B (I have blacked out his name for privacy). This sweet design is stiched on 32 ct. black Belfast linen and is from the JBW chart "Baby's First Christmas." The ornament is happily living in sunny southern California!

For some reason, I found stitching this design to be of great comfort this year. I love how the sentiment, "Glory To God," is shown in this mini-sampler. The chart is from a very old issue of Just Cross Stitch Magazine (November-December 1988). "A Primitive Christmas Heart" is a pattern by Sheepish Designs and was stitched with DMC 336 on various scraps of white and antique white evenweave. Again these are stitched "over one." Two traveled to  friends in Virginia and one now lives with a friend in Ohio.

I also made a lot of cards this year and added tiny bows for interest. The same Sheepish Design that I described above was mailed, in card form, to two other friends in Virginia. I seem to have a lot of stitching friends in Virginia!

This sweet card is a freebie from Durene Jones on Facebook in her November 1, 2019 post. Although not typical Christmas colors, I fell in love with the shades of aquas and turquoise and thought my friend in Germany could display this all winter. I did leave off the bottom border so it would fit into a circle shape a bit easier.

Just Nan is the designer of this quartet of snowmen--aren't they darling? This is called "Snow Faces" and is stitched on 28 ct. glass blue Monaco with the suggested colors. I left off the corner motifs to make it circular to fit the card's opening. This card went to another friend in Germany.

I've always loved star-shaped Santas and this one is no exception. I forgot to write down the name of the library book that the chart came from, unfortunately, but doesn't he make you smile? Love the little polka-dot bow, too. He is now enjoying his new home in Germany. Sending cards to international friends is a much more cost-effective way to let you know you're thinking of them. Sending packages overseas has just become ridiculously expensive compared to when I began blogging in 2009!

And surprise!! A non-stitched gift! This hexie tree was my first attempt at making anything with the hexies that I've been experimenting with and I was pleasantly surprised with how nice it looked in the end! (The rose in the far right lower "branch" is fussy cut from a pair of slacks that were my mom's). This pretty pink tree is now with a stitching friend in Wisconsin and she loves it! If you'd like to experiment making this and other English Paper Piecing ornaments, check out this very helpful tutorial on YouTube: hexie tree tutorial.

So, there you go--lots of love was spread over the world in the form of my little gifts. I just wanted to send an extra dose of joy this year with all the sadness and challenges that people experienced last year.

But on to some happy news... Today is my birthday--yay! I made it through another year. It's hard to believe I am now 66 and on the downward slope heading towards 70. Really??? How on earth did I get to be this old? I look "just a teeny bit" different in this photo below from my first birthday on January 16, 1955... Love the little lace pinafore over my dress and those sweet vintage cards. And it appears that I loved chocolate even back then by the look of that frosted cake. Some things never change...

A one-year-old Carol in January 1955

But, as happy as a birthday is supposed to be,  this is going to be a difficult day for me... It marks my very first birthday without my mom. I'm crying as I write this so I know the tears will be appearing on and off throughout the day. As you can see from the photo above, Mom always tried her best to make our birthdays very special. We got to choose our favorite meal when we were older--for me, it was always spaghetti and meatballs and garlic bread. Dessert was always the famous "Tunnel Of Fudge Cake" that won the Pillsbury Bake-Off Contest in 1966. Anyone else remember that cake? Oh, my--it was fabulous; a rich blend of chocolate cake with a "tunnel" of gooey chocolate and nuts buried inside. Unfortunately, a powdered frosting mix was one of the key ingredients and Pillsbury no longer manufactures that so they've come up with this recipe to replace it. It's good, but not quite the same, in my opinion. 

I had the most wonderful dream about my mom earlier this week! Now, I rarely remember  my dreams, but I'm so thankful to have remembered this one in such detail because it gives me hope... 

In my dream, mom and I were driving through a sad-looking little town with many boarded-up store windows. In many ways, it reminded me of the small towns I used to drive through on the way up to my childhood home when I would visit my parents in New York State. On the outskirts of the town, we came upon a large greenhouse and mom said she wanted to stop and "buy some plants for her new home." The parking lot was almost filled to capacity and we had to park quite a distance from the greenhouse. I asked mom if she was sure she wanted to go in as it would be quite a walk for her. She replied, "Oh, I'll be fine" and then easily stepped out of the car and proceeded to walk through the long parking lot toward the greenhouse. As I glanced over at her as we walked side by side,  I was shocked to see that she was whole again--her body was straight and tall, no longer hunched and twisted from the effects of her battles with osteoporosis and scoliosis that she suffered from for so many, many years. She appeared younger, too--more like she did in her 40s. At that point in my dream, I woke up... I was filled with a feeling of peace--and of hope. I now know my dear mother is safe and well and settling in to her "new home."


My middle sister recently sent me this photo of mom and me that I'd never seen before. It was from December 2016 and we were toasting my brother on his 60th birthday. I love it!

 

As I mentioned in my previous post, my "word" for 2021 is hope--and as soon as I saw this beautiful design below, I knew I had to stitch it. It is one of two freebies from "Hello From Liz Matthews" that she offers to her newsletter subscribers. I think this may be the quickest piece that I've ever stitched and fully finished! I began stitching it on Wednesday afternoon and had it framed and ready to display 24 hours later... The piece is so simple, yet so striking, don't you agree? The frame is a very old one that my middle son bought for me when he spotted it at Goodwill several years ago. And the blue flannel in the background is from one of my son's old shirts. Having all boys, I have a never-ending supply of old flannel shirts to be repurposed!

My finish of "Hope" by Hello From Liz Matthews

 

Well, that's it for my first post of 2021! I'm still here (for at least a while) blogging away. I seriously considered ending my blog after my mother died as my heart just wasn't in it. Blogs are fading away for some sad reason and readers are turning to other sources. I still love my blog, though, as it is a wonderful record of my stitching life and a journal of my travels, baking, and a peek into my family life. I know mom would want me to keep up blogging a while longer. There will come a time when I'll stop my writing, but I promise to let you know when that happens--I won't just disappear like so many bloggers have done. 

I wish you all the best in this new year, my friends! Thank you again for visiting me and a special thanks to those who take the time to leave comments. I truly appreciate each and every one of you! Bye for now...

67 comments:

Gabi said...

Happy birthday Carol and all the best for the next 12 months. Stay safe and healthy and keep on stitching and blogging.
Your post is so lovely and a real homage to your mom.
Have a happy day!
Hugs from Germany

Donna G. said...

Happy birthday to you! In May I will also have that milestone of celebrating my first birthday without mom. I’m so thankful for memories and photographs. That one of you and your mother at the birthday celebration is precious. I hope you continue with your blog for awhile longer. I do follow you on Instagram but enjoy the blog content so much more. I have totally neglected my blog. Maybe I’ll do an update post soon. I have downloaded the Hope pattern. Your framing finish is lovely.

Jan said...

I look forward to your Blogs and am always amazed at your finishes which are beautifully done. Am sending you warm wishes for a new and Happy New Year.

Kate said...

Happy Birthday Carol!
I enjoyed seeing all of your finishes.
Have a good year.

Sandy said...

What a sweet picture of you and your mom. 2020 was indeed hard, but I am with you on being hopeful. We have to be. There were so many lucky people at Christmas. I know I treasured my gift from you and think of you each fall. I hope you have a wonderful birthday and have some chocolate for sure. I still love seeing your blog. I think we have all gone through those same feelings about blogging. It is one reason for my long pause, but we will see. I want everyone else to continue!!!

Janny said...

Have a lovely birthday Carol, even if it will be bittersweet this year. I hope you do keep writing your blog as it is a joy to read, as is your stitching to see.

grandma sandy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Robin in Virginia said...

Wishing you a happy birthday, Carol! I love the picture of you and your Mom from your brother's 60th celebration. What a beautiful assortment of stitches you sent out in 2020 and I want to thank you again for the precious blue heart you sent me. Well done on the stitching and finishing of the Hope piece. Thinking of you.

butterfly said...

Oh gosh Carol where do I start , what a beautiful post .
You had me crying again .
You made some beautiful gifts for friends , and I loved my bunnies .
You made some beautiful cards too.
Please don't stop blogging yet you are only young still .
I find the stitching helps my eyes if I stopped I think my eye sight would go.
Such a lovely write up about family .
And things will get better soon I am sure of this and I truly think it will make people more grateful in the future for what we have now in family and friends ,and our beautiful world .
Hope you had a wonderful Birthday BIG HUGS,

Purple Pixie Dust said...

Happy Birthday Carol. Love the photo of you when little. What a wonderful photo of you and your MOM. I love all your stitching to friends. I send you big, big hugs and love. Lynda Ruth

diamondc said...

Carol: Such a lovely post, your Mother is adorable looking.
I still have dreams of my Mother who has been gone three years now, what an amazing dream, my husband says dreams are a free trip to the movie house.
You made such lovely gifts with amazing finishing touch's.
I prefer blogging over facebook and other forms of communicating my stitching.
I pray and hope 2021 will get us back to normal, it has been a trying year.

Catherine

Arlene G said...


What a precious dream....I know it filled your heart with joy. And all those ornaments. That would take me all year, Carol. They are lovely and now I am tempted to try that hexie tree ornament. I have so many pretty Christmas prints from fabrics I have purchased for finishing. You always inspire me with your posts. Here is to 2021. I join you at 66 in May! I am just happy to be here. Hoping for my vaccine soon. Take care! Hugs to you today as you are missing your sweet mama.

Vicki said...

Happy Birthday, Carol!
What pretty gifts you stitched last year. I know each recipient felt honored to receive one. So glad you're continuing to blog. I enjoy reading your posts!

Diana said...

Those were lucky people that got your lovely finished gifts!

Donna said...

Love your blog Carol. Your finishes always inspire me!

Meg said...

Happy Birthday, Carol! 🥳 🎉 I didn’t have it in my calendar before, but it’s there now! I hope you have a fantastic day. What are your birthday plans? What is your favorite birthday meal now? And cake? Do what I do and celebrate all month!

Lovely stitched gifts for your dear friends. I’m so lucky to count myself one of them. I think this year my stitching is going to be mostly Christmas ornaments for others. I have plenty of things for myself, and when Christmas comes around I always (without fail) wish I had done more ornament stitching for friends and family.

2021 has to be about hope. If our nation’s deep divides are ever going to heal, it starts with us, strengthening our families and our communities, doing things for one another to show that love conquers hate. One of the Congressmen (Ben Sasse?) said something I really like: “It’s hard to hate your neighbor when they’re shoveling your driveway.” Since I’m not physically able to get out and do much, some friends and I are going to start writing letters and cards to people in nursing homes who, because of Covid or other factors, are alone. It’s a small start.

I love the dream you had about your mom. I think it was a message. ❤️

Take care, and I’m sending a big birthday hug!

Debbye said...

Carol, I always enjoy your blog posts. It will be sad to lose you someday but hopefully that's quite a ways off! With all the tech giants throwing so many of us off of social media for their own bizarre reasons this month, I find myself relying on blogs more than ever. Your blog is like an oasis in the desert. It's so refreshing and beautiful. Happy Birthday!

Kim said...

Happy Birthday, Carol! Your ornaments are gorgeous as always. Stay well.

Vickie said...

Happy Birthday my dear, sweet friend! I teared up with this post, I admit. You have a wonderful way with words. A true gift. I will admit, I also am pondering the end of my blog. I do not know when it will be, but I feel it. I am so touched that a piece of your Mother's slacks are in my tree. That is truly special. Thank you Carol. What a special picture your sister sent you! It is wonderful. :) I hope you have a wonderful birthday weekend Carol. HUGS to you!

Carol in Texas said...

Happy Birthday from one Carol to another! Please, please do not stop blogging. I look forward to every post. I have returned to crossstitch after many years, and I love seeing what you make and learning about the materials and designs you use. Your stitching and finishing are just beautiful. I hope you are having a blessed day and that your year is full of happy moments.

ndavis said...

Happy Birthday Carol. I have always loved seeing pictures of your stitching. I have said before, you inspire me. Funny, we have a lot in common....I too live in PA - South Central area, just south of Harrisburg & my birthday is this month as well, the 22nd & we were born in the same year.

I so enjoy your blog. I hope you continue with it for a very long time.

Unknown said...

Lovely post Carol with all your beautiful ornaments and cards. Your finishing is so perfect! I sent your blog to a friend who is a semi-retired finisher (now she just finishes for 5 of us) and she has enjoyed seeing your finishing. I think you have picked a perfect word for this year and all years really. Hope brings such encouragement at any time. When you have some time take a concordance and look up hope and you will find all the biblical references. This is where our hope comes from, both for now and for eternity. That gives me great PEACE, another good word for the year this year.
I look forward to your post and am always inspired!

Christine

AC said...

Hi Carol,
I wish you the best for 2021, as we are about to conquer the Corona and get back to normal again.
I selldom leave comments on blogs, but enjoy reading and watching cross stitch all over the world!
I never miss a post from you, and I look forward to see your stitching and finishing
tremendously much!
You have got such a talent and good eye for colours and finishing ideas, and you inspire a lot of us fellow stitchers.
Please don't stop writing and posting!
You must continue forever!
Best of greetings from Sweden,
Anna

Georgia said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Carol...I loved reading your blog today. 2020 was a rough one that's for sure. Hope...is perfect for 2021. I loved the dream about your mom...now I have to ask what kind of flowers would she have purchased? You need to get some for yourself:) I loved reading about all of the beautiful stitches you sent out during Christmas. Where did you get the cards, to put your stitches in? And, I am ever so grateful to be a recipient of one of those beautiful ornaments. I am so humbled. Many Blessings, to you my friend, on your birthday, and thru 2021:)

Martha said...

A very happy birthday to you! I just recently discovered your blog and am enjoying all of your beautiful work and your heart-warming stories of friends and family. All the best to you in 2021.

Amara said...

Hi Carol,

wishing you a happy, healthy Birthday, lots of peaceful comforting Stitching Time and lots of heartfilling time with your loved ones.
The picture of you and your Mom is beautiful and the dream you had is so heartwarming and i‘m happy that it brought you a peaceful feeling and HOPE!
And I’m happy that you don’t stop blogging. I‘m always happy, when i see a new post from you and enjoy it so much.
Again, Happy Birthday, Carol and many blessings.
A big hug from Germany
Amara

Jennie in GA said...

What a beautiful and meaningful post. You have your mom’s pretty smile. All of your finishes are so meticulously stitched and beautifully finished. I feel sure that you brought joy to many friends. Good for you...so unselfish!!!! Happy NY...wishing you hope for a better year.

marly said...

Happy birthday dear Carol. I'm in tears at your dream. And craving the birthday cake.

My goodness you stitched so many lovely gifts! Your 2020 was the year of over one! Glory to God looks to be the most difficult but none would be easy.

We all have hope for the new year, but I think if it's not one thing it will be another! Seems to be the trend when trying to move forward.

Aussie Carrie said...

Hi Carol,

Happy Birthday from Australia, although it is the 17th here. You will always go on missing your mum. However, she will always be near and that dream was a wonderful reminder of that fact.

Despite the past year we do have reason to hope and look forward to the future. Just enjoy each day as it comes and appreciate the companionship of your dear husband.

Best wishes for a safe, happy and healthy 2021.

C Reeder PhxAz said...

Happy Birthday! We are both January birthday girls. Please oh please do not stop blogging. You are so gifted in both writing and stitching. Your finish and color choices of Hope by Liz are my favorite and that frame!

Yayabon said...

Happy Birthday and Happy New Tear to you! I’m so glad you will continue your blog! I enjoy it so much. I turned 65 on the 6th. January birthdays are mostly a mention for most of us! The holidays are usually so hectic and everyone is partied out and spent out! LOL! But I say January babies are the strongest and most resilient because of it! What’s not love about a new year of living in the brand new year?! Things will get better over time, dear. I still miss my mom and my dad and it’s been 8 and 10 years since their passings. But I just focus on how healed and happy they are now, much like the dream you had. Beautiful stitching, as always, Carol. Thank you for this blog. I know it’s a lot of work and effort but I pray you will continue with it! Blessings! Bonnie

MartinaM said...

Oh yes it was a difficult year and I have a feeling it will continue as well. Bad news again and C-19 is still with us. But you have to hope and believe, even if it takes longer, we will make it, just as we have managed many difficult times.
Your presents are beautiful and I am happy to have one of them in my treasure.
Oh no, you haven't changed much from then. How nice that you still have pictures.
How touching, I also get a few tears when I read about your dream, how nice that it helps you. And what a beautiful picture.
I am grateful that you want to continue blogging, I enjoy your reports and your diary very much, whether with funny or sad stories, that shows me that we are the same, no matter where we live.
Happy birthday my friend and big hug
Martina

Sandra said...

Happy Birthday Carol, sorry it's a bit late, I'm writing from the UK. So many lovely gifts, it's a wonder you have had time to stitch anything for yourself. What a lovely dream about your Mum, I'm glad it gave you some peace. I would like to ask you a couple of questions about your PS Santas so I'll see if I can find an email address for you later. Have a lovely day.

Clare-Aimetu said...

Happy Birthday Carol, a lovely picture of you and your Mum. A great collection of finishes too.

Didi-beadwork said...

what a wonderful dream. i am just restartingmy blog as needing an outlet for writing again after some many changes last year. love all your work and its true sending hand made cards is a great way to share your expertise.

Manuela said...

Hello Carol,
Happy Birhtday and all the best for the next 12 month.
You are very busy and made so many wonderful gifts and cards. I love my card it is a big treasure for me.
Your first finish is so beautiful.
I wish you a happy Day and a big Hugs,
your blogfriend Manuela

Kay said...

Happy birthday, Carol. Wishing you a year of peace and happiness with a never-ending supply of cross stitching materials. Your stitched gifts and cards are all exquisite, I am sure that anything you make would be treasured. x

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

Happy belated birthday, Carol; I hope your day was full of love and kindness. I often think that when God calls a loved one home, that doesn't mean they are shut off from what we are doing here on earth. I cannot think that a God so loving wouldn't allow our loved ones to see us or to know how we are doing. I truly believe your mom shared your birthday with you and probably longs to hug you as well.

Mary said...

Happy Birthday Carol!! I think the dream was a lovely birthday gift! The picture of you and you Mom is so special. I'm sure this was a bittersweet birthday without your Mom, the first of everything is. All of your gifts are so lovely and I'm sure the recipients were thrilled to receive them. The frame your son worked perfectly for the pretty Hope stitch, I certainly hope this year is better than last in so many way. WE can always be hopeful.

Christel said...

Ce début 2021 est la suite de cette terrible année 2020. Elle ne démarre pas aussi bien que l'on pouvait l'espérer mais nous allons forcément vers le meilleur. Il faut rester optimiste, sourire à la vie, chaque jour a son lot de bonheurs petits ou grands, il faut espérer oui car en France nous disons toujours que l'espoir fait vivre et moi je dis toujours qu'il faut garder le sourire même si on ne se sent pas trop bien car les sourires attirent les bonheurs. Ce n'est que mon opinion...
Bravo pour tous ces petits cadeaux brodés et finis avec le plus grand soin. Tous les destinataires ont forcément appréciés ces présents venus du coeur.
Je vous souhaite un Joyeux Anniversaire avec une journée de retard. Notre plus jeune fils est né le même jour que vous !! Nous avons donc fêté hier ses 25 ans.
Il est certain que votre mère veille sur vous par delà les étoiles. Votre rêve vous en a apporté la preuve....
J'ai pensé également a arrêter mon blog, peu de lecteurs, peu de commentaires, comme si ça n'intéressait plus personne y compris les brodeuses.. Beaucoup se sont tournées vers instagram que je n'aime pas du tout et où je me perds.. Le jour où j'aurai vraiment l'impression que j'écris dans le vide ou presque je cesserai de l'alimenter...
Amitiés de France,
Christel
http://toilesetfils.blogspot.com

Marybeth said...

I just discovered your blog and loved reading it and seeing all the wonderful projects you finished. I hope you find the desire to keep posting! Oh, and Happy Birthday...you are but a youngster to me (LOL).
You will get to the point that memories of your Mom bring you joy and no tears, trust me.

Janice Boucher said...

Happy Birthday Carol! I so enjoy reading your blogs. I hope you will continue writing for a long time to come. The picture of you and your Mom is priceless. Definitely frame it. As for your stitching finishes..Oh my.. they are the epitome of sweetness. The recipients of your gifts are such lucky ladies for sure! I hope 2021 brings you good health and much happiness!
Janice

Pat said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CAROL!! My birthday is next week and I'll be 75. I so enjoy reading your posts and being part of your on line life. You're beautiful finishes always thrill me and I just wish I had that talent. Your gifts, I'm sure, are treasured by every recipient. If you e-mail me a mailing address, I'll send you an ornie for next Christmas.

Happy New Year!!

Darlene said...

Oh no! I missed your birthday but I'm here now to wish you a happy birthday and the very best of everything! So many beautiful ornaments but there's one ornament that brought a huge smile to my face and one I may have to stitch very soon.
The yellow house from Prairie Schooler is delightful and I love it. I hope you don't mind that I'm going to share why I love it so much. My sweet husband passed away suddenly in June 2018 and within weeks I sold our home. Fast forward to October 2019 when I bought a 'new to me' home and I had it painted yellow. This little house is my sanctuary and where I've had to learn so many things about me and life. I can't begin to express and describe how I felt when I saw that ornament. You've filled my heart with joy today, Carol. I will stitch it sometime in 2021. Gentle birthday hugs!!!

Barb R. said...

Hi Carol — Happy Day After Your Birthday! I do hope you had a wonderful birthday 🎂 and thank you for sharing this great post of all the beautiful stitched gifts you have so generously given to so many truly lucky friends. (I know I speak from the heart of all of us - we are truly blessed!). I loved reading about the dream you had about your mom - I really think she wanted you to know that she is doing well and is happy and wants the very same for you. I love the picture of you and your mom celebrating your brother’s birthday - it is such a happy picture!
I hope you continue with your blog - it is so very special. I can imagine that it is quite a bit of work but I believe we all truly love everything about it - your stitching and creative and imaginative finishing is such a treasure and a joy to see. You are truly an inspiration to so many of us. Thank you so much for everything!!

Sandra said...

Happy Birthday, Carol! What a lovely photo of you and your mum. So lovely to receive this from your sister! I do love the snow bunnies stitching and it's making its way to my home country!
Hope is a good word for this new year. I feel that things can only get better. I already have the date for my vaccination!

Laurie in Az said...

Happy Birthday Carol! I hope you were a able to enjoy your day!
I am glad you are continuing with your blog as I enjoy reading it and seeing all your gorgeous stitching! You always have so much to share and from all the comments you get, you and your blog are loved by many!
I wonder when I read that you grew up in New York, what town you were in as I was born in Buffalo and lived outside of Binghamton. It has been a long time since I’ve been back there.
I hope you are comforted by the happy memories with your mom and 2021 will be a better year.

Jennifer said...

Sending you birthday wishes Carol - I am sure it was a hard day, but hope you found moments of happiness as I am sure your mom would want. Your stitched pieces are just great - do you make the cards or purchase them like that? What a great way to share stitching simply! I love the story of the dream about your mom - I do believe that the deceased can send us messages and I think they often come through dreams. Wishing you lots of hope this year - I am more hopeful today now that my dad has had his first vaccine shot and my mom is scheduled for next week - I will certainly breathe easier when they are both fully vaccinated!

sunny said...

Happy Birthday! Your little stitcheries are all so cute, but I'm terribly in love with Snow Bunnies. I'll have to track down that chart. What a wonderful picture of you and your mom.

Marilyn said...

Happy belated Birthday Carol!
All of the ornaments you sent are so very pretty & perfectly finished.
I love the 1st one with the Bunnies, I will have to get that issue out & stitch it.
My favorite cake when I was little was always the speckled angel food cake. I think Mom made it for all of our Birthdays.
That sounds like a fabulous dream & a very nice pic of you & your Mom.
Nice finish on HOPE.
Have a great week!
Marilyn

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

A belated Happy Birthday to you Carol.
I loved seeing all the stitching gifts that you sent for Christmas. As you say, postage has got so expensive but a handmade card is the next best thing to an ornament.
Reading about your dream with your mother brought a tear to my eye as I thought of my father who died a few years ago.
I hope you continue to blog for quite a few years as I enjoy your posts. Even though I follow you on Instagram it's not the same. It is here that I feel that I get to 'know' you.
Have a good week.

Barbara said...

Happy (belated) birthday to you, Carol. You have your mother's sweet smile.

Your stitching is so beautiful. You choose such lovely, wholesome designs to stitch. It's always a treat to see what your needle and floss have been up to

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Happy Belated Birthday! I love the ornies you sent out, and thanks for detailing where they came from. I appreciate that about most bloggers, they cite their sources!
That was a lovely dream you had about your Mum. I quite often dream about people I haven't seen for ages and wake up thinking how lovely it was to "see" them again, it feels so real. I am sure she is very happy in her new home.
I hope this year is a better one for you, you certainly have Hope coming, if your new President can get on top of the vaccination program it will be an excellent start!

Gail said...

Happy birthday!!! Please don’t stop blogging you have so many followers who enjoy your posts, your finishes, and all your travels. And we need to hear about that beautiful grandson !

Christine B said...

J'ai découvert votre Instagram tout récemment via Verob_75 et votre petit (gros) défi 1 ornement par mois pour 2021. J'ai adoré ! J'aime beaucoup instagram pour les photos et la rapidité de naviguer qu'il nous présente mais j'arrive ici pour vous lire et je vais rester, j'aimme tellement votre façon de raconter, de partager, j'aime beaucoup votre univers. Vous êtes une femme formidable !
Je vais essayer de faire au moins un ornement ! et je vais continuer de faire des petites créations pour les thèmes que j'affectionne, Pâques, 1er mai, notre anniversaire de mariage... et je sens que je vais trouver beaucoup d'inspiration ici.
Merci et au plaisir de vous lire.
Avec toute mon amitié de brodeuse

Katie said...

Ohhh I just love your dream. So perfect. She has a new home and feels so much better now. It's so hard to miss them but we have to remember they can't stay just for us. I love my blog too. I can't imagine life without my blogging friends and you are definitely one of them. I will read every post you post. Lovingly. Beautiful stitching. Fantastic gifts.

Jutta said...

Beautiful little presents you have made, dear Carol, every ornament looks so nic and have certainly made a lot of joy.
I was born in 1955, too ;-), congratulations!!! Time goes by so fast, a cute photo from your 1st. Birthday.
Your post gave me hope, thank you for that,
all the best to you and your family, Jutta

Faith... said...

You sent some beautiful gifts out to your friends Carol. I am sure they appreciated receiving them. The hexie piece is quite interesting! Happy Birthday. I am sorry you are having to celebrate it without your Mom. I know it is hard. I think my first year with out my Mom was my hardest. Moms are supposed to be here with us to celebrate and when they aren't it is sad. We just always have to remember that they are in their new home and they will be there to welcome us when we arrive. I hope you continue to blog so we can see your beautiful stitching!!

Irene said...

Buon compleanno anche se in ritardo! Adoro il modo in cui hai sparso amore, speranza e i tuoi ricami nel mondo, sono piccole cose che danno tanta gioia. Un abbraccio forte forte!

Mary's Thread said...

Beautiful, Beautiful! Beautiful gifts! Beautiful dream! Beautiful Hope! Have a wonderful rest of January, Carol!

Leonore Winterer said...

You sure stitched a lot of lovely gifts and cards and I am convinced spread a lot of joy into the world with them! Great job.
And happy belated birthday, of course - I understand you tackled that day with mixed feelings this year, but hope with time happy memories will replace the current sadnes.
It makes me glad to hear you'll continue to blog for now...I know it's getting more quiet now in this blogosphere of ours, but I do still enjoy it here!

Stasi said...

Carol, I am just catching up on blogs....so sorry to have missed your birthday....Happy, happy belated birthday!

Cindy DeRosa said...

Oh Carol. This post made me smile. Over the years we both have given away so many ornaments and I think that is what this hobby is about. Touching others. The english paper pieced tree is so cute. I have been working on those in between moving. The dream of your mom, its her way of letting you know she is fine and whole again. I will be making and giving away an ornament each month this year. Happy Birthday. You are one of the sweetest people i know. Huggs.

Ms. Wright said...

Hope is a great word and desire for this year, Care. I definitely remember that tunnel of fudge cake---yum! I always asked for hot dogs and baked beans for my birthday meal and "freezer" cake. I love your dream--imagining Mom spritely and whole. It's so wonderful! The gifts you created surely brought a smile to the recipients. So thoughtful!

LoriU said...

Happy Belated Birthday Carol!! Hope it was a good one.
Love all the little gift finishes you showed. So cute.
What a fabulous dream to have of your Mom! I usually don't feel those are dreams, but rather are visits!!

Misty said...

Happy belated birthday, Carol! Your stitched gifts are lovely! What a wonderful and comforting dream about your mom. ❤️ Hugs to you and wishes for a better year!

Maggie said...

Well, I thought I'd commented on your post but looking through I can't see that I did now. A very belated Happy Birthday, what an amazing cake :-)
Such a lot of beautiful stitching and gifts, and I'm so glad you choose to carry on blogging, I for one would miss your posts and seeing your wonderful stitching and finishing. My mum had a similar dream about my dad after he died, he had really bad arthritis in his hip and walking was very difficult, she dreamt that he was walking upright and without a stick and didn't look in pain. She said after that she felt better, that she knew now he was ok.
Congratulations on getting your Covid jab! We won't be offered it until around May time, I must admit that I was a bit dubious about it, but after talking to my friend who's brother is a scientist I feel a bit better about having it.