Thursday, September 17, 2020

Coming Home and a Final Gift for Mom

Brrr... fall is definitely in the air here in western Pennsylvania! And I'm not sure I'm ready for it... My summer sped by so quickly that I didn't even have a chance to relax and enjoy it this year. But, on to a new season and crunchy leaves and fall decorating and all those spicy fragrances wafting through my kitchen. Today I'm making Molasses Crinkles (using this recipe) which always remind me of my dear maternal grandmother. Those were one of her signature cookies and she always fretted about whether or not they would "crinkle." She learned from experience that the humidity level was key and so today--a dry, cool morning, is perfect for baking. I wish you could smell the ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, and cloves in the cookies that permeate my house right now!

I've been thinking about grandma a lot since my mom died. Such a special woman in my life--she was so capable and could do just about anything with a needle and thread. One of mom's biggest compliments was when she told me how much I take after Gram B. Her talents went way beyond mine, but I love the fact that mom saw similar traits in us!

We said goodbye to my mother in a simple graveside ceremony in my tiny western New York hometown on Saturday--just us four kids and our spouses, a few grandchildren, one great grandchild, and the minister. It did my heart good to see her interred and resting in peace at last. I know my dad was thrilled to finally have her there beside him... Knowing them, they were up all night talking!

After the memorial service, my siblings brought me the boxes of items that I had given mom through the years and, of course, my cross stitch pieces were among them. Mom was, by far, my biggest supporter when it came to my cross stitching and blogging. She was always so interested in my next project or the way I had finished an ornament--she truly studied them and always said, "I don't know how you do it, Care!" with such an admiring tone in her voice. I can't even begin to tell you how much I miss hearing her comments about my stitching and blog posts...

So, today, I thought I would take a little trip down memory lane and share with you each stitched gift that I gave my mom starting with the oldest and leaving you with one final gift that I gave her after her death. I tend to tear up just looking at these photos as I picture where they were displayed in her home all these years. Now, I'll have to find the perfect spot in my home for each one.

All of my stitched gifts to mom have come home

 

My first gift was one I gave mom way back in 1985 soon after I began cross stitching. It was her Christmas gift that year and is framed with a mirror below it as you can see in the photo above. This sweet piece was from a cross stitch book called "The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady"--a truly beautiful booklet filled with the most charming nature designs. Mom kept it right by her door so she could quickly check her hair or make-up in the mirror before leaving her apartment. My mom--even at age 93--loved her lipstick and was applying a fresh coat each morning up to the final days before she died!

  

The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady cross stitch


This Thanksgiving card, circa 1992, was one of a (very) few I did on perforated paper--it's not my favorite stitching medium, but it held up quite well after 28 years, I'd say! The chart can be found in a very old booklet (1988) called "Greetings Galore" which contained 24 designs for various holidays and special occasions. 

 

Gobble, gobble! Thanksgiving card from 1992

That turkey may have been the last thing I stitched before my "Great Cross Stitch Break" took place for an entire decade. Yes, between from 1992 and 2002, I was just so busy raising my sons, returning to work at the library in 1996, and supervising the remodeling of our entire home, that I gave up stitching altogether. I know... crazy wasn't I? Stitching brings such calm that I can't imagine exactly why I gave it up for ten whole years...

Anyway, let's flash forward to the next piece that I stitched for my mom and dad in 2003. For you long time readers of my blog, this will look familiar. This is the piece that brought me back to cross-stitching and, because of that, I've gotten to "meet" you wonderful stitching friends! I stitched this beautiful heart and flowers design for my parents' 50th wedding anniversary scrapbook album that I put together for them. I actually did an entire post on it in 2013 when they celebrated their 60th anniversary which you can read in this post. Be prepared to cry, though... it is a heartbreaking tale.

A heart filled with flowers stitched for mom and dad's 50th anniversary album

 

Here is a close-up for you... I've covered my parents' names, which are stitched at the top, for privacy. I'm sorry, but I can't remember exactly which old cross stitch magazine this chart was in. Their 50th wedding album has come home to live with me and will always remain one of my biggest treasures.  It is filled with letters and memories from friends and family, wonderful old photos, and so much love. I'm honored to be the caretaker of it for the rest of my life and then I hope my sons will treasure it just as much!

 

Love the sweet pearl heart buttons!

 

My mom even kept this simple little card that I stitched for her 80th birthday in 2007. I think this design was from a library book filled with cross stitch greeting card ideas. Mom displayed it on her bedroom dresser for the past 13 years and it always warmed my heart to see it there...

Mom kept even the simplest of my stitched gifts.
 

Mom's birthday was in mid-May, right around Mother's Day here in the United States, so I often stitched gifts for her. May 2008 brought this lovely Just Nan piece called "Robin's Wreath." As you'll notice, the gifts I stitched for mom often were of flowers and birds--she loved both. This hung on her bedroom wall until her death in late July. There are tiny robin's egg blue colored beads in the wee nest on the lower right--so dear!

Just Nan's "Robin's Wreath" finish

 

2008 was a busy stitching year for me as this one was also given to my parents for Christmas that year. This design is from the 2005 Just Cross Stitch Ornament issue and is called "Outside My Window" by Lynn's Prints. It's always been one of my favorites and it, too, hung on mom's bedroom wall year round.

Love the peacefulness of this finish!

 

Mom framed this little Lizzie Kate card that I made for her for Valentine's Day in 2009 and she displayed it each February. She was always a seasonal decorator like I am and I've come to truly appreciate how she always made her home so warm and welcoming at any time of the year by putting out special decorations like this one. (If you are interested in the fabric and fibers that I used for "Be Mine Valentine," please check out this post).

 

I always stitched a lot of love into each of my pieces for mom!

 

Well, you knew I had to have stitched at least one hummingbird for mom, right? Actually, this one is a mystery as to when I stitched it, but I am going to guess that it was around 2010. Again, the chart was from an old needlework magazine and I have no clue as to which one. I framed it in this pretty pewter frame and she always had it sitting on her bedroom nightstand.

Mom kept this one by her bed for many years.

2011 brought one of the few Blackbird Designs that I've ever stitched. My mom loved violets and I've always associated her mid-May birthday with violets and lily-of-the-valley. So, this was a birthday gift and she loved it--again, it hung on her bedroom wall all those years. I changed the wording a bit on this one which you can read about in this post

 

Violets and mom just seemed to go together
 

Many of you recall mom's 90th birthday post (you can read about it here). What a grand celebration we had that day! To commemorate the occasion, I stitched not one, but, two pieces for her that month. The first was a With Thy Needle and Thread design called "Bluebird Out My Window." As I've said many times, mom represented home for me so this one, with the word HOME spelled out in the grass, will always have a special place in my heart. I do love the frame I chose, too. If you'd like to read more about this finish, please check this post

  

Mom = HOME

 

The second 2017 birthday piece is small, but it was one of mom's favorites as she kept it right by her bed until the day she died. The little freebie from Snowflower Diaries (which can be found here) was personalized to represent mom and her four children along with dad, who died in 2014, represented by the silver heart hanging from the tree branch. I think seeing this one, more than any of the things I've stitched, makes me cry the most. I'm not sure why--I guess it is just the depiction of a mother bird caring so much for her babies just like mom cared for us for so many years. You can read about "You Are So Loved" right here

 

Mom, you always will be so loved...

 

I think most of you will remember this next gift as it was one I shared with you just a few months ago in this post.  This sweet wren was stitched from a chart by Lucie Heaton which was published in the April 2018 issue of Just Cross Stitch Magazine. Although it only lived with mom for a few months, she loved looking at the colors and little bird as it sat on a table in her living room. Her eyesight was so poor by the time she died that I know she had difficulty making out the design, but I know it was special to her just because I made it. 

The last gift that mom saw--her 93rd birthday gift.


One final gift... As I mentioned above, we buried my mom on Saturday, September 12, 2020, a brisk fall day with a bit of sunshine peeking out from behind the clouds. Mom was cremated and there was a small amount of room between her urn and the vault (that you have to place the urn into before it goes into the grave) for some mementos. I thought I would like to add a photo of the two of us playing Scrabble and decided to put it in a little tin that had once housed some mints (it was about the size of a mini Altoid tin). I added a pretty red and white flocked fabric to the bottom (fabric I had once made myself a shirt of when I was in high school) and stitched a border (from the Prairie Schooler February chart) to adorn the top. Some red cording and a bit of ribbon finished it off. 

 

One final gift for my dear mother

Well, I put the little photo in the tin and it looked rather lonely... So, before you knew it, I was adding all sorts of tiny remembrances to it! Would you like to see what I chose?  I added four Scrabble tiles spelling out L-O-V-E and a copy of a Scrabble-themed greeting card that I made mom years ago to represent our mutual love of playing the game. I included a Canadian nickel for our many family trips to Lake Kashagawigamog in Ontario; two tiny seashells for her love of Daytona Beach, Florida; a button from one of her favorite jackets; a bit of periwinkle floss in one of our favorite colors to represent me and my stitching; a piece of cardinal ribbon in honor of my dad; a brass hummingbird charm; a little embroidered pillow she bought for me in Europe in the late '60s with a lone opal earring attached to it that she and Dad gave me on my 16th birthday (the other earring is long gone); a copy of her favorite cookie recipe, Scotch Shortbread, written in my grandmother's hand; and a tiny white cherub to watch over her. On the back of the photo of the two of us, I wrote a personal note to her. Thinking of, and finding, the perfect treasures to add was actually quite healing for me...

Little tokens of love for mom

 

And believe it or not--all of these things fit into that tiny tin! They are now resting for eternity with my dear mother and it gives me some peace knowing that some special things chosen just for her by me are there with her...

A final look
 

Grief is such a strange journey, isn't it? This grief I'm feeling for my mother is much stronger than I felt for my dad. In his case, I know it was because he had dealt with dementia for so many years, and it felt like he had left us long before he actually died. But, my mom was lucid right up until the end. I found this article on grieving which really resonated with me as I've been all over the place since mom died almost eight weeks ago. I've cried more over the past ten days than I ever dreamed possible, but I think that helps in my healing process. Everyone heals differently and at different rates--there is no right or wrong path and, as this article states, grief doesn't just follow five stages as was the popular belief for so many years. I want to share the last paragraph of this article written by Suchandrika Chakrabarti which really struck a chord within me.  

 

"Mourning is so much more than an act of endurance. Really, grieving is the task of taking the love that was once shared between two people, and transforming it to fit inside one broken but still-beating heart. That’s why it takes time; that’s why it hurts."

 

Well, my molasses cookies are done--and they crinkled--Gram B would be proud! I hope your day is filled with happy, little times like crinkling cookies and fleeting memories that bring you smiles. I'm looking forward to my (almost) daily FaceTime call from my sweet grandson who I get to visit in person in just two weeks... That now two-month old baby always makes me smile! I'm not looking forward to going to get my flu shot today, but, with the current COVID crisis, it feels especially important this year. Do you have anything special that you are looking forward to today (or not looking forward to)?

Fresh baked Molasses Crinkles--a perfect cookie for fall!

 

Thank you all for visiting me today--I always love hearing from you in the comment section. As always, if you have a specific question please, please make sure to leave your email address so I can reply. Stay safe out there--there is just so much going on with the wildfires, the hurricanes and flooding, and that darn pandemic looming over us all.  Bye for now...


58 comments:

Ms. Wright said...

Thank you for writing this blog entey about all of the lovely pieces you created for Mom over the years. I always loved the one from the Edwardian Journal... so unique. Of course the one with the cardinals always makes me think of Dad. Your final piece is perfect, reflecting the special relationship you two shared. I’ve been reflecting a lot as well. Recently the musician responded to a question about loss in this way: “The paradoxical effect of losing a loved one is that their sudden absence can become a feverish comment on that which remains. That which remains rises in time from the dark with a burning physicality — a luminous super-presence — as we acquaint ourselves within this new and different world. In loss things - both animate and inanimate - take on an added intensity and meaning.” Teying to acquaint myself with this new and different works without Mom is challenging. I love you, Care.

Robin in Virginia said...

Your cookies look fabulous and I know your Grandmother is looking down and smiling that they crinkled, Carol. Thank you for sharing the pieces you stitched for your Mom and Dad. Wishing you a good day even with getting your flu shot. The author of the grieving article was spot on with that last paragraph. Thinking of you.

Carla Mc said...

Thank you for sharing all of this

Sandra said...

What a wonderful post about your mum. I loved seeing all the beautiful stitching you did for her over the years. I also loved the one you did for your parents' wedding anniversary. That little tin full of treasures prepared with love for your mom is just beautiful and so touching. I'm sure she is so proud to have you as a daughter!

Vickie said...

Oh Carol. This post has filled me with such emotion this morning. My heart is just aching. God bless you Carol. And thank you for this recipe. I have printed it off. :)

Amara said...

Dear Carol,

my heart is really aching for you and i cried a bit, reading your bittersweet post here and on Instagram.
My Grandma died a week before Christmas last year and i thank you so much for the linked article about Grief. There are a few things which i could now understand a bit better.
Your stitched Gifts are so lovely and i'm sure your mother smiled a lovely and proud smile, as she saw from up above the little Box you curated.
And thank you so much for the Cookie Recipe. I never heard from this cookies (i'm from Germany) but i will give it a try <3.

I send you lots of love, hugs and God bless you.

Amara

Arlene G said...

It is good to have that final closure so that you can go on in life and remember the good times. I love the little box you made as a last gift. What a wonderful idea. Blessings on you today Carol as you reflect on two lives well lived.

chitra said...

Hi carol
beautiful stitching for your Mom and the blogpost made me tear eyed.

Kate said...

Lovely post, Carol.

Stasi said...

What a sweet post, Carol! You stitched some many pretty things for your Mom and it sounds like she so appreciated them all. Your final gift is full of so many precious thoughts and memories..what a lovely idea!!!
I am loving the turn in the weather here and wish I could smell those cookies baking....they look delish!
Enjoy your visit to CA....do I even have to say that??? I now you will!!!
Safe travels!!!

Vicki said...

What beautiful gifts you made your mom over the years. And I love that she appreciated and encouraged your talent! My stitching story is similar to yours, Carol. I took a 10-year break from stitching from 1991-2000. We have four kids who were born in less than six years and I just couldn't find time to stitch during those years! I was so happy when I was able to pick it up again. It keeps me sane, hahaha.

Purple Pixie Dust said...

After reading your blog I am speechless so I am sending you the biggest warmest hugs I can give you. Here's some Love to go with it. Lynda Ruth

Darlene said...

Thank you so much for sharing a huge piece of your heart. And, thank you for the passage about grief. it's a very difficult journey! Gentle hugs!

Jackie's Stitches said...

thank you for sharing your precious gifts to your mom and dad as well as. your final gift for your mom. I teared up reading about what each memento means. Sending you a hug as I don't think you ever not miss your mom when she is gone.

celkalee said...

Such a lovely post. How blessed you are to have had such a special and dear Mother. She will always be with you, Mothers are like that.

Barbara said...

The gifts you stitched for your mother over the many years are priceless and so beautiful, as well as skillfully done. I have saved all the pictures in this post to my collection of cross stitch photos for inspiration. You really do amazing work!

I see that in the earlier years of your stitching you used a bigger thread count than you do now. I have not transitioned to the tight linens, although they look so nice. Do you have a favorite thread count? Also, do you use any kind of magnification to see the linens better?

As for grief, it is an odd thing. We buried both of my husband's parents (1971 and 1980) and my father (in 1986). So we learned some things from those experiences in our younger adult years. Of course at the time I felt it very unfair to go through that when people were "too young" to die and I was "too young" to bury them! But as with all hardships, we learn how to cope and can be a better comfort to others who are hurting. The Lord was our constant help during those dark days.

My mother is alive but due to COVID and other factors with her health, communication with her is not what it used to be. I am sorry it has had to come to that.

Thank you for your honesty and openness with us about what you are experiencing. This is good for all of us as we deal with life.

May the Lord comfort and bless you.

DebrafromMD said...

I stitched that Diary piece for my mother-in-law so long ago. It graced her bedroom until she passed, and it now hangs in my bedroom. It is one of the few stitched pieces I have from my early cross stitch efforts. I put aside my cross stitchIng for many years and have now picked up my linen again. So many wonderful changes have occurred in this craft since the 80s. I have long admired your pieces and the wonderful finishing that you do. So very sorry for your loss.

Connie Bechtold said...

Thank you for sharing the wonderful gifts you had stitched for your Mother. Cross Stitch is just full of memories and moments in our life.Love your moments box also. You have a great foundation of love and I’m sure you’ve passed it on to your children. take care, Connie

Dawn P. said...

Such beautiful wonderful memories; losing my parents 14 months apart has been difficult for me (Dad 8/29/2018 from complications from stroke - he lingered 5 months at home hospice, Mom 11/7/2019 from stomach cancer that was stage 4 when found in April 2019 and she did at home hospice as well). You are in my prayers and I understand the 'waves' of sadness that come across at funny, strange times; a smell, a memory, a thought & I cry. So I feel you my dear and you have wonderful memories as well. Always with us, every day.

Sandy said...

I am grateful for power tonight so I can read this beautiful post. Carol, it is so precious. My emotions are all over the place, so that is about all I can write but it just so precious. Thank you for your blog.

April said...

Dear Carol,

What a moving post to honor your dear sweet Mom. The pieces that you stitched for her over the years are beautiful. So much love being stitched into each one. The little stitched tin with special tokens just for her made tears spring from my eyes. How special of a daughter to do that. One can see how close you were to each other.

May God bless you and comfort you during this time.

April

marly said...

Beautiful and touching post Carol. She treasured your stitchery and the love, devotion, and closeness you two shared.

Christine said...

What a beautiful way to remember your mother and everytime you look at those pieces now, they will hold even more memories. Thank you for sharing this blog with us.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Such a touching post, Carol. You brought me to tears. It is so wonderful that you and your mother shared such a strong bond and relationship. What a joy it was to see all of the beautiful stitches that you gifted your mother over the years and your final stitch was amazing as well. Thank you for sharing. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs, Melisa

Kay said...

This is such a beautiful post and was heartwarming to read. Hugs. x

butterfly said...

Such a lovely post of love for your Mother .
Your healing has started Carol knowing your Mom and Dad are now and together for always , and your little tin is just perfect .
Think now of all the wonderful times you had together ,they are safe now.
Bless you Carol, sending all my love .

Gabi said...

What a touching post. Wonderful stitched gifts for your Mom. This little tin is more than perfect. What a lovely idea.
It is so heartwarming to read.
Thank you for sharing.
Hugs, Gabi

Manuela said...

Hallo Carol,
wunderschöne Stickereine hast du in den letzten Jahren deiner Mama geschenkt. Schön, dass du sie zurückbekommen hast und du damit so viele schöne Erinnerungen verbindest.
Die kleine Dose ist eine liebe Geste.
Lass euch die Kekse schmecken und vielen Dank fürs Teilen der lieben Erinnerungen.
Ein schönes Wochenende und liebe Grüße, deine Manuela

Marilyn said...

What great memories you stitched for your Mother.
I'm glad they all came back home to you.
I love the little tin idea.
When our Mom passed, we put a single red rose & a little stuffed black kitty in with her.
She had 2 black cats, & one would sit on her lap all of the time.
Thanks for the recipe, those look delicious!
Take care.
"Grief never ends....bit it changes. It's a passage, not a place to stay. Grief is not a sign of weakness, nor a lack of faith.
It is the price of love."
Marilyn

Mary said...

You are such a love. Thank you for sharing something so very personal to you.

Ele said...

thank you for sharing this post with us Carol, it filled me with emotions. So touching.

Pat said...

Very emotional posting, Carol. Brings back memories when I lost my Mom. Thank you for sharing and showing us all the lovely stitching that your Mom cherished.

PattieDavidson said...

Loved hearing about your Mom. It is so much like my Mom who loved to stitch. I too will get back the pieces I did when my now 96 years old Daddy goes to be with her. We will always Love the memories of our mothers.

Barb said...

This post was such a lovely tribute to your mom! When my step mom passed away I took several of the stitched things I had made for her. I also took several of the wool pieces Laurie had made for her. Whenever I look at them I smile and think of her. I was not stitching when my dear mom lived so there are other memories. Enjoy that baby , he will bring so much joy to your life.

RJ said...

Dear Carol thank you so much for sharing your stitches that you made for your sweet Mom. She was such a wonderful lady who I always enjoyed hearing about. I know how proud she was of you and all your many talents. She was such a blessing to so many.

Grief is individual and it truly takes time to get better. My Mom was only 60 when she died and that was thirty five years ago. And there are still many days I still cry because of how much I miss her. But, there is nothing wrong with that. And, the memories you will always have will help you through this.

I think your visit with your grandson will do wonders for you and the family. He is so adorable and will bring you peace. Take card my friend. RJ

Christine said...

What a beautiful and touching post. Thank you for sharing your stitching and the wonderful memories associated with it

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

This is a beautiful and moving post, Carol.

Penny said...

Your post brought tears to my eyes, Carol. What a blessing to have had two such very special ladies in your life. Your mother clearly treasured each of the lovely stitched pieces that you made for her. I've saved the article on grief - I don't think I can read it just now. So happy that you will be visiting your little grandson soon. Enjoy your time with him. Take care.

An Arizona Stitcher I said...

Carol, a bittersweet moment receiving your stitched gifts to your mom. Grief is a strange thing isn't it? I feel a bit guilty that I don't cry over my mom's death as much as I do my dad's. I think it has to do with the fact that my mom died almost 31 years ago to my dad's of 13 years. Time does truly heal all wounds, well, for the most part. My daughter and I spent some time together today and I enjoy it immensely. Take care Carol. You are in my thoughts and prayers for strength to get through these painful moments.

Jennifer said...

What an amazing collection of stitching you made for your mom and it is clear that she was very proud of your work and really appreciated it. I can’t believe all that you fit into that tiny tin, but oh, how wonderful. I can’t imagine the grief of losing a parent but know I will come to deal with it in the years ahead. I will look to you as a model of how to both find peace and also be open about the process. Thank you for sharing - hope you love snacking on those cookies. I am off to spend a little time in my back yard today to pick up the leaves that are falling and keep things watered for the next few weeks before the garden fades for the winter. Hope you have a lovely Sunday Carol 💗

Christel said...

Magnifique article si touchant... Une nouvelle belle preuve d'amour pour votre Maman. Tous les ouvrages sont fins et délicats, c'est du bonheur pour nos yeux que de les partager sur votre blog...
L'automne arrive déjà hélas.. Je n'ai pas vu passer l'été. Moi qui aime tant la chaleur et le soleil je vais bientôt rentrer dans ma coquille comme les escargots pour attendre que les mauvaises saisons passent... Pourtant j'avoue que j'aime les couleurs automnales.
Amitiés de France,
Christel
http://toilesetfils.blogspot.com

diamondc said...

Carol: I am so sorry for your loss.
All the stitching you did for your Mother is beautiful.
It is wonderful they returned the items you gave her.
Your cookies sound wonderful, thank-you for the link to the recipe.
What a wonderful idea for the tin box and so many wonderful items inside with many memories attached.

Catherine

Anonymous said...

Oh Carol - this is just the sweetest, most precious posting in honor of your Mom. It truly is a blessing to and for your Mom and so expresses your love for her. Thank you so much for sharing such a beautiful tribute to her.
I loved seeing all the wonderful cross stitch projects you made for her over the years. They are so beautiful. You are fortunate to have them returned to you. I’m sure they are so meaningful to you. Maybe you will find a great place in your home to hang one of them and then you could change it out with a different one every month. Your work is always so wonderful. I was really moved by all the special items you included in the tin - very thoughtful.

I truly hope you have a safe and wonderful trip back to California to visit with your new grandson and his mom and dad. A very happy event for you and your family, and it will be here soon,




Barb said...

Oops! I’m not really Anonymous (above) - I’m Barb.

Sheryl said...

A wonderful post you have shared with us today Carol, although my eyes are blurry from tears and I will have to read the post again. Lovely seeing all the beautiful stitched pieces you made for your mum over the years and I love the little tin you filled with special treasures.Love and hugs.

The Knitting Cross Stitcher said...

A beautiful post Carol,full of love for your mom.
I think all that you stitched is delightful,however,your piece for your mom's 93rd birthday is really gorgeous,I thought so then and I still do.
Your pretty little tin of memories is perfect.
My father in law who passed away in 2012 had Lewy Bodies Dementia,a much less well known form of dementia here in the uk but just as cruel. Having her loving family supporting her and your dad at that time shows how good a parents they both were and your love for them.
Thank you for sharing your mom's stitched treasures.

The Knitting Cross Stitcher said...

I forgot to tell you ,it's Lesley x
The Knitting Cross Cross Stitcher

Jutta said...

Oh, dear Carol,
Thank you very much for this wonderful report, which comes from the heart. I’m very touched and greet you very warmly,
Jutta
P. S. : Thanks for your lovely comments on my blog, I was on holiday and didn’t have time to answer.

Claire said...

Carol I love the little treasure box that you made for your mom. So happy that she's got that little bit of you with her. I'm amazed at what you fit in that tiny space! Looking forward to hearing all about your next baby visit. Thinking of you and sending love and courage.

Meg said...

What a beautiful walk down memory lane, Carol. Your mom was indeed your biggest fan, but I am a CLOSE second! ((Hugs)) In contrast, and I’m saying this in hopes of making you laugh, at the end of my last show-and-tell session with my mom, where I showed her all the finished pieces I have waiting to be framed, she said, “Where are you going to hang all of these? You don’t have that much wall space. You could make them into napkins.”

Ahem.... So, someone who appreciates your work is a blessing. (Did I make you laugh?)

Today I’m looking forward to a quiet day, maybe framing “Farmhouse Christmas” by LHN, and I just may have to make those cookies. 😋

Anonymous said...

Hi Carol,
I echo so many of the comments here about your touching post... and the sweet treasure box for your mom. I really think it illustrates the fact that so many things remind us of the people to whom we are close... That is a sign of a close relationship, LOTS of memories, symbols and pieces of life shared together. What a beautiful tribute. And thanks for being so forthcoming with all of us. It's amazing what stitching can do -- including creating this community. Peace to you.. and all the family.

Alhana said...

So many good memories in just one post! I can't find the words to convey what's on my mind and my heart after reading it. From your first gift to the last token in that tin full of love, your cross-stitching journey spreads for many years and shows your skills development as well as your deep feelings for your dear mother. I'm sure you will treasure these works and will feel comfort thinking of her whenever you see them displayed at your home.
Hugs

Katie said...

What a beautifully well written post in honor on your wonderful mother. Thanks very much for sharing. The tin was a beautiful idea. Perfect. I'm glad you found each little memento. I have always disagreed with most ideas of grief having a timeline. I think it does get easier but never goes away.

Irene said...

ho sentito molto questo post, nel cuore, perchè il lutto per mio papà non l'ho mai superato e ora che mia madre è anziana dovrò prepararmi per un altro. É molto difficile sopravvivere. Un abbraccio forte forte forte

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

This was such a lovely post to read. It is so nice to read how much each piece meant to your Mum, all stitched with love.
I inherited two pieces from my Grandparents that I had made for them.
I love the little tin you filled with precious memories. When my Grandad passed away, we popped some things in his coffin with him. Nana was very impressed with this idea and spent some time compiling a list of what she wanted! Something for each family member including the fish knives and forks her siblings gave her for a wedding present. The archeologists of the future would have been most confused if we had gone along with that idea!

Leonore Winterer said...

Oh Carol...your post (and the older one you linked to) really did bring me to tears today! Your relationship to your mum - and your grandma too - was so special and loving, it really warms my heart to read about it.
Grief really is a strange process. We are nearing the one year anniversary of grandpa's death, and I find myself being sad and brought to tears by the smallest things more and more. Today we gave away his car - it was 23 years old and couldn't move on its own anymore - and that was hard on both grandma and me. I think at the time was so relieved he wasn't in pain anymore - those last weeks he was with us were so hard - and then there always was something to do, and grandma to take care of, I think I am only now finding the time to actually deal with my grief myself.
Now when my grandma follows him - and I really hope that's going to be a couple more years - I think that might just break me. She's to me what your mum was to you, my greatest supporter and guide in everything I do, so I can't even begin to imagine live without her.

Leonore Winterer said...

Oh, and I almost forgot - I love your little box of mementos! Amazing how many treasures, and how many memories, fit into that little box.

Mary's Thread said...

Reading this post just makes me feel the strong bond of love between you and your mother. Just beautiful all that you shared with her. What a blessing to have such a dear mother and sweet relationship. It echoes through the generations and spreads through the community! May you find more comfort in your loss every day=even though grief doesn't go away, may you get used to bearing it and may your happy memories help assuage your sorrow.