Saturday, October 10, 2009

Week Forty-One: Cat-O-Lantern






Black cats and glowing pumpkins--does anything say Halloween any better? As many of you know, I'm partial to black cats--my dear all-black cat Shadow was just a perfect Halloween kitty and I think of him often at this time of year. He used to love greeting the trick-or-treaters at the front door (and then attempting to escape outside, of course). I've had this Calico Crossroads chart (called "Cat-O-Lantern") in my stash for years and I thought it would be the perfect thing to stitch this week. My sons wondered why the pumpkins on the left weren't orange... Perhaps they are pumpkins disguised as ghosts? I'm not sure, but it definitely made for a quicker stitch not having to fill in all of that orange. The design, which I stitched on 32-ct. white Jobelan, called for three strands of DMC to fill in the cat and pumpkin which gave them a really lush, defined appearance. I'm not sure if I'll frame this one or turn it into a wall hanging...but it should be a cute addition to my Halloween decorating.

It just hit me last night that Halloween is in three weeks--time to buy the candy for the trick-or-treaters. I love this time of year because I can actually purchase candy without feeling guilty. Of course, I always buy way too much (we usually get only a dozen trick-or-treaters, but I buy enough for fifty!) and then I squirrel away the extra for myself... Do you have a favorite treat to hand out? I love anything with chocolate and peanut butter or caramel, especially peanut butter M & M's, Reese's peanut butter cups, Rolos... Mmmmm...think I'll head to the store right after work! Have a great weekend everyone...

11 comments:

Myra said...

I absolutely love this! I will have to see if I can find that chart - it looks like something my Ziggy would do. I think that would look really cute framed. Great work Carol!

Shari said...

another simply adorable piece!!! my goodness...each week you amaze me with your beautiful stitching!!! Keep it up!!!
we don't get trick or treaters here, so AFTER Halloween, I usually go & get some goodies to put in the freezer for us!

Viooltje (Violet) said...

Ohhh lóók at those adorable (cat) eyes!
This one is on my wishlist too.
:o)

There are white (gohst) pumpkins, but it's also the way this desinger works.
(of course you knew these facts, LOL)
;o)

When I was little we had "Sint Maarten" instead of Halloween (on November 11th) we ringed at the doorbell, not dressed up, but with a (selfmade) lantern and sang a little song (instaed of trick or treat), I loved all the candy but especially those with wrappers around them *Ü* (much cleaner) and the few coins we got LOL)
Pssst, buy chocolate! ;oD
:o)

Viooltje (Violet) said...

Oh boy did I make a lot of writing errors!
*Ü*
I'll erase that one and post again...
~~~~~~~~~~~>
Oops... I can't? *Ü*
Oh well... I'm Dutch and was in a hurry, hahaha.
Anyone want's a try to write Dutch?!
LOL, you're welcome at my blog.
*Ü*

Ranae said...

I love this. I just ran across the same chart the other day and then thought I better finish the seasonal ones I have started.
We don't get but a few neighbor kids (like 4)I so wish it was more. I give out Reese Cups. I ususally go through the first bag myself, lol.

Daffycat said...

LOL I love it!

Snickers and Reese but we only get a couple of tricksters. Lots left over for us!

Rowyn said...

Cute finish!

We only get a few trick or treaters (as it is not widely celebrated in New Zealand), so they only get whatever is in the house.

Cindy's Stitching said...

What a cute design - I have never seen it before. Yes to candy - who doesn't just love a Reeses peanut butter cup one of my favorites I always buy way more. I have to hide them from my 17 year old son. He could eat a whole bag at a time. I guess the apple doesn't fall to far from the tree after all.

Barb said...

I love this! As mom to 2 black cats, this would be perfect.

I'm a chocolate/caramel lover. We usually buy what we like so hopefully if there are leftovers, we will be enjoying our favorites. But I am not buying early...too much temptation!

Siobhán said...

What an adorable finish!! Great job, Carol!

I've been picking up bags of Halloween candy each time I see it on sale. So far we've only opened one bag to make sure it's edible. ;) We usually buy chocolate type stuff to hand out, anything by Cadburys.

I see on your shelf that you like Asne Seierstad. She's one of my daughter's favorite authors. I have only read one of her books so far but enjoyed it. Clara's War looks good, too.

Mylene said...

That is such a cute finish.

Thanks so much for visiting my blog and leaving me a comment. I really appreciate it.
Hope you are having a good week.