Sunday, October 4, 2009

Week Forty: Halloween Sampler



It's October and you know what that means--time for some Halloween stitching! This little sampler (appropriately called "Halloween Sampler") is from a book that I checked out of my library. From the book The New Cross Stitch Sampler Book by Helen Philipps, I stitched this fun piece on 32-ct. sage Jobelan with DMC threads. It came together pretty quickly, but I'll tell you I won't be stitching any more checkerboard borders anytime soon--ugh! Anyway, check your local library; they just might have a copy for you...

I don't decorate my home for Halloween as much as I used to when my sons were little--just set out a few pieces of my cross stitching, some ceramic pumpkins and ghosts, fall leaves, etc. Just enough to get in the spirit...So, who else is stitching for Halloween this month? I'm curious to know if my international stitching friends celebrate Halloween, too? Do you have any special customs? I hope to finish a couple more Halloween patterns before the month is over so check back again next week!

And again...thank you for all of your supportive comments. I love reading them and feeling encouraged by each one!

11 comments:

Cindy's Stitching said...

I really like the Halloween design. I look forward to reading what you have completed each week. Like yourself I only put out a couple of things, I was never really a big Halloween fan. Christmas is my favorite holiday. I am in the HOE exchange for Halloween and did a couple of cute things for my mystery stitching friend. It is the only Halloween one I ever done. I am looking for to receiving my exchange, it is my first exchange.

Myra said...

Such a cute sampler Carol. I love all the Halloween designs. I would really like to have a Halloween tree...maybe next year.

Lee said...

We have never really celebrated halloween, when my children were young ( they are now both over 40) the idea of halloween had not really caught on in New Zealand.
Like Myra's suggestion of a Halloween tree that could be fun. will see what my youngest grand daughter can come up with with me and report back.
keep up the stitching Carol I look forward to seeing what you have completed each week.

Shari said...

too cute! You amaze me!!! I am not a big Halloween fan myself, but some of the designs are cute!!! My scarecrow is coming along nicely!

Sweet Sue said...

Hi Carol:) Halloween isn't something we do in our home as we don't have little ones. But I do enjoy seeing the finishes of others and yours is great.

As for decorating, yesterday I tossed some gourds into a basket and flung a few Indian corn cobs on the blanket chest, whew ~ that was mighty strenuous ~ LOL!

Sweet Stitchin...

Viooltje (Violet) said...

I ♥ it! Your sampler has my favourite Halloween poem too.
:o)
The Pumpkins, the spiders, black cats, ghosts, bats, webs, witches, brooms, etc. etc.
(...watch my blog this month too...)
And yours has an owl!!! How cute is thát!?
:oD

I'm going to Google that book now ~~~~~~~~~>
:o)

Rachel S-H said...

That is very pretty!

I don't decorate much because all my Halloween stuff is at my mom's. But I do try to stitch for the holiday.

Michelle said...

That is so cute!

We don't have Halloween in South Africa, but that didn't stop me from stitching something this year :)

Siobhán said...

Lovely finish! That is so pretty. I need to do more grown up Halloween stuff now that my kids are older (15 & 19). I have older things that are more cutesie. Halloween, would you believe, actually originated in Ireland and the rest of the Celtic world with the festival of Samhain. We moved here in 2003 & there were only a few kids going out. Now in 2009, it's gotten much bigger and most kids go out Trick or Treating. There definitely 75% of the merchandise that the US has, though--it's not as commercialized.

JOLENE said...

Don't you just love Halloween?! I guess I will always be a kid at heart....thanks for stopping by my blog and entering my giveaway. I have been persusing your blog and you have stitched some really nice patterns, keep ut the good work!

Ms. Wright said...

I love all of these, Care. They remind me of Halloween on Maple Ave! I love how you gear your work towards the various seasons--reminds me of why I love living in the Northeast.