Thursday, July 23, 2026

Summertime stitching and a quick visit to Rome

Thank you! Thank you! I was so touched by the kind comments on my previous post about my youngest son's wedding. I never, ever want to come off as though I'm bragging--I'm just not that type of person... So, I hesitated to even post my photos and descriptions of that magical day. On the other hand, this blog is like my (not too personal) diary so I just had to include memories from that special family occasion. I appreciate each of your thoughts--stitchers are absolutely the nicest people! Thank you again!

So, July is nearing its end and what a summer it's been so far: extreme temperatures worldwide, tornado activity in spots where it's not common, and tropical storms. And let's not forget the horrible air quality (our Air Quality Index was at 368--in the hazardous category--last week) we've experienced due to the wildfire smoke drifting both down from Canada and up to Canada due to our wildfires here in the U.S.  It's so different than the summers I remember while growing up in the 50s and 60s in upstate New York. Yes, there were occasional uncomfortably hot days, but my summer was filled with playing outdoors with all the neighborhood kids from dawn to dusk: pick-up baseball games in the nearby park, roller skating and riding our bikes up and down the street, lazily reading book after book on my shady front porch, and playing kick-the-can until the street lights flickered on and it was time to head home. I wonder how many kids are able to enjoy these things on a daily basis with the climate changing the way it is? 

Summer stitching has been calling my name as I have very few purely summer related pieces to put out once I take my patriotic decor down. Oh, I have my bee and sunflower stitching, but I want more things that are pure summer. After many, many years, I finally finished the fourth and final chart from Prairie Schooler's "Country Seasons" (book no. 123): Summer. I had stitched the other three back in 2006 (Winter), 2007 (Spring), and 2008 (Fall) even before I began blogging in 2009! For some reason, the summer design just didn't catch my interest the way the other three had, so I kept putting off stitching it. But, it ended up being pretty cute, don't you think?

The fourth season, Summer, is finally stitched!

This one turned out smaller than the previous three because I stitched it on 40 ct. platinum Newcastle. I believe the others were stitched on 16 ct. aida and 32 ct. jobelan, but I'm not positive since I wasn't recording my finishes way back then. I've used the same frame to display each of the other three when I change them out for the season, but I'm afraid this frame is just too large for the smaller Summer finish. I'll have to figure something else out. Below I'm sharing all of the seasons--which one is your favorite? I especially love Autumn because the colors are so bright and vibrant!

All the seasons from PS. Book No. 123: "Country Seasons"

You may remember this charming Madame Chantilly piece called "Celebrate Summer" which I shared three years ago in this post. Well, I finally got around to framing it with a rustic, weathered looking frame which I purchased online from Franken Frames. Why, oh why do I procrastinate so long when it comes to framing? This was a particularly easy piece to frame as there were no straight borders to deal with on the stitching itself. As always, I use the framing method in this tutorial by Brenda Gervais. If you are on the fence about attempting to frame things yourself, give this method a try--it really isn't difficult!

My largest summer finish--finally framed!
 

It will be so nice to have this larger summer piece framed and on display for the next couple of months. That grinning whale and little girl in her vintage bathing costume always make me smile. 

I think I'll be stitching the "Celebrate Fall" chart from this series next and I plan on using the same frame.

Even though the Fourth of July has passed, I want to share my red, white, and blue stitching and decorating with you! Also, having photos to refer to, makes it extremely easy for me to decorate from one year to the next :) 

The sideboard in my kitchen all done up in red/white/and blue for July

How about some close-ups? If you have questions on any of these, just email me and I'll try to help!


 


 

This little patriotic display is the centerpiece on our kitchen table for the month.

 

And, last, but not least--the kitchen corner cupboard all dressed up for the Fourth, too.

Garden update... In spite of the sweltering heat and lack of rain, our garden has fared quite well due to the irrigation system my husband installed a few years ago...

We're growing corn this year for the first time, although these may turn out to be the smallest ears on record :) 

 

We picked a good amount of blueberries in spite of a nasty raccoon breaking into our fenced-in garden (he crawled right over!) and eating at least half of the berries.

 

Our blueberry haul so far--there are more to be picked!

 


I love looking out the kitchen window and seeing these happy sunflowers nodding in the breeze in our garden.


Books... I seem to be listening to more and more books rather than reading them. I love hearing the different voices and the way I can picture the characters in my mind so much clearer than when I read the words on a page. Two exceptional, although very different, books that I've enjoyed this month are "The Calamity Club" by Kathryn Stockett (the author of that wonderful book from 2009 "The Help") and "I See You've Called in Dead" by John Kenney. "The Calamity Club" is a b-i-g book at almost 29 listening hours/and over 600 pages! I hesitated to begin it for that very reason, but, honestly--I could barely stop listening it was so well done. I'm sure it's wonderful to read, too, but do yourself a favor and listen to it! "I See You've Called in Dead" was not a title that called to me, but I read the excellent reviews and I'm so glad I took a chance on it. It's a much shorter book (at just 7.5 listening hours/300 pages) and I listened to it over the course of two days while stitching, cooking, and cleaning. To read a bit more about each book, just click here for "The Calamity Club" and here for "I See You've Called in Dead."  Who else loves listening to books?

Two of my favorite audiobooks of all-time! Give them a listen! 

Travels...  As I promised in my post about the wedding, I'll be sharing some photos from our travels while we were in Italy. This first batch is from Rome where we spent just one full day before we drove up to the wedding venue which was almost three hours northeast. We rented an apartment for two nights to get an authentic Rome feel and to be able to walk to the main historical section. Rome itself did not appeal to me--let's say I'm so not a city girl! I found it hot, crowded, noisy, filled with graffiti, and cigarette smoke. The traffic was insane and I'm so glad my husband had hired a car to take us from the Rome airport (which was just rated the third-highest anxiety inducing airport in the world--you can read about the top ten here) to our rental apartment. That being said, I truly enjoyed a brief walk around the historic part of the city to witness those iconic sites in person. The sheer age of the remains of the ancient Roman empire just makes my head spin...

This was the view from our apartment rental in Rome's Ludovisi neighborhood. Simply lovely!

 

Since we arrived very late in the afternoon, the only "touristy" thing we did that evening after dinner (pizza, of course, and, oh, was it tasty!) was walk to the Trevi Fountain. Although beautiful, it was absolutely mobbed with visitors. Rome has now instituted a two euro ticket for any non-resident wishing to go down to the water to toss their three coins. They are hoping this approach will help with crowd management. It's estimated the paid tickets will also bring in €6,000,000 a year in revenue. 

The following day, even though jet-lag was hitting hard, we wanted to do a quick walk past some of the ancient sites. They didn't disappoint!

What's a trip to Rome without at least a glimpse of The Colosseum--the largest ancient amphitheatre ever built. It could hold from 50,000-80,000 spectators depending on the time in history. We would have loved to do a proper tour, but there was simply no time.

 

The Temple of Venus and Roma is thought to be the largest temple constructed in ancient Rome beginning in 121 AD.



Remains of the ancient Roman Forum which, for centuries, was the center of daily life. Elections, triumphal processions, trials, speeches, and gladiator matches all occurred here. Just imagine all the history this site has witnessed over the years.

 

The Forum of Caesar was built around 54 BC to extend the historic Roman Forum and create more room for public meetings, processions, etc. 

The remains of the Temple of Venus Genetrix in the Forum of Caesar date back to 46BC.



The massive Victor Emmanuel II National Monument (also known as the Vittoriano) was built in the 19th century to honor Victor Emmanuel II, the first king of a unified Italy. 

After seeing a tiny portion of the ancient sites, we headed back to our apartment to cool off a bit. A beautiful park was located nearby so, after we rested a bit, we headed over and thoroughly enjoyed walking the paths of Villa Borghese. With almost 200 acres, the tree-filled park filled meandering paths felt a world away from the hustle and bustle of Rome's city center. 

So, there you have it--an extremely brief visit to one of the world's most historic cities. Would I go back? No... Rome was simply not my cup of tea, so to speak. I hated having to constantly worry about pickpockets and being harassed by people trying to sell me trinkets and such. But, I'm sure some of you have visited at less crowded times and loved it. In future posts, I'll be sharing more of Tuscany--a region that I definitely would go back to if given the chance! 

Today marks a very special moment in my life--on July 23, 1977 my husband and I walked down the aisle at the small Presbyterian church in my hometown and said our "I dos." Yes--49 years ago... We were two newly graduated 22 years olds--very young by today's standards, but completely normal back then. We have no regrets about getting married so young and are truly looking forward to celebrating our big 50th next year with a family trip.  Happy 49th to my dear husband--here's to many more years of love and laughter, fun family times, and further adventures!

Thank you all for stopping in today--it's always fun to read your comments and emails and I appreciate each and every one. I'll try to get back to posting twice a month in August. July just kind of got away from me! Take care now--and happy stitching! Bye for now...  

No comments: