Wednesday, July 31, 2019

A snowy finish and a new travel adventure begins

Good morning on this very last day of July! Are you ready for August? I am so far behind after being away for a good portion of the month that I still have my patriotic stitching up! Time to bring out the sunflowers and bees and get ready for fall--and after the hot, hot temperatures over the past few weeks, I'm ready... how about you?

I only have one finish to share with you today and that is my ornament for July--hooray, I've caught up on my ornament-a-month challenge and am going to do my best to keep from getting behind for the rest of the year. This Little House Needleworks design is called "Snowy Winter" and is stitched "over one" on 28 ct. black Monaco. I stitched another of the snowflakes and used that as the bottom right corner of the ornament. These ornaments look harder to make than they really are. You begin with four separate sections, sew two sets of  rectangles with two pieces of fabric in each and then sew the two rectangles together to form a square. Then simply finish as a small pillow ornament. Give it a try! (It was a gray day yesterday when I photographed it so I'm sorry it isn't showing up better).

"Snowy Winter" all finished for my tree

I forgot to stitch the rope pull for the sled (as you can see in the photo below) and had to add it after I had finished this into a little pillow--not the easiest thing to do, but, luckily it was just one long, straight stitch. I love the tiny heart imprinted in the snow! A simple, sweet design for my Christmas tree... On to my August ornament!

So tiny and cute!

I've also started a piece of summer stitching, but it is taking much longer than I expected.  For some reason, I have very few summer pieces to display and I'm trying to remedy that! Here's a little snippet for you--can anyone guess what it is?

Can you guess what I'm stitching?

Giveaway winner...  Wow! There were 21 of you who entered for the Frosty Flakes chart. I was so surprised as I assumed most of you owned it already. Anyway, the winner's name drawn from the hat is...

Arlene G!

Arlene--congratulations! Please email me with your mailing address and I'll drop this in the mail to you this week.  I'm sorry I couldn't send each of you a chart, but I will be having future giveaways, so please keep an eye on this space!

Congratulations to Arlene!

A fun idea... My youngest son (the one who is always, always traveling for both work and pleasure) sent me this photo of a framed collage of international currency that he recently made (I guess we now have two crafters in the family)! I thought it was such a creative way to use up any  "extra" money that you find yourself with after traveling abroad. When I asked him how much money was in the frame, he said he thought it was about $300.00! I guess if he goes back to any of these countries, he can always reach in and take that country's currency with him, right?

My youngest son's creative money collage

So, speaking of travel... I so enjoyed reading your guesses as to where we were heading on our latest trip. No one truly pinpointed it, although the few that said Germany got it partially correct! Where did we go? Well, those of you who follow me on Instagram (and if you'd like to please just click here) already know that we went on an anniversary river cruise down the Danube! This was a trip two years in the making as our three sons actually gave us this trip as a 40th wedding anniversary present--and that was two years ago! We just now had the time to plan and go, though, and, trust me--it was well worth the wait!  I want to thank them for this amazing gift and for seeing to our every need from transportation to and from the airport, to answering our many questions about procedures, to simply being the best sons ever!

Prague, Czech Republic

Our anniversary trip began with our flight into the airport in Prague, Czech Republic on July 16th. We were to spend two days there before boarding our river boat and beginning the cruise. Now, I grew up in the Cold War Era and to think that I would be visiting countries that were once behind that so-called "Iron Curtain" both excited me and had me a bit nervous. Driving to our hotel on the bus, you could see a fair amount of the cold-looking, nondescript buildings that were put up in the Soviet era.

After an overnight flight on which I didn't sleep at all (yes, I was up for 36 hours straight!), we arrived at Prague's airport.

Once we arrived in Prague's Old Town Square, however,  it was as if we had entered a storybook complete with beautifully embellished buildings and horse-drawn carriages! A fairy-tale come to life... So come along with me--let's explore Prague (all photos are clickable for a better view).

Your carriage awaits!

Everywhere you looked in Old Town Square was another beautiful building--AND another tourist. Oh, it was so very crowded--obviously July is prime tourist season. If I went again, I would try to go in the fall!
 
Prague's famed astronomical clock was first installed in the year 1410 which makes it the third oldest astronomical clock in the world! At the top of each hour, the little figurines, put on a show with Death (the skeleton on the right) ringing a bell and the others shaking their heads saying "no, it's not our time to go!"

Scenes from Prague's Old Town Square



Streetcars were everywhere--quite loud, but very efficient.
The beautiful late-Gothic and baroque style St. Nicholas Church in Old Town Square, Prague

The elaborate carvings above doorways and windows were simply breathtaking!

The corners of buildings and tops of windows and doors were often beautifully embellished
The sidewalks in Prague were made of small squares of cut stone (granite, I believe) and were so clean! We saw virtually no litter compared to that seen in U.S. cities.

On the morning of the second day, we visited Prague Castle--the largest ancient castle in the world! It was an absolutely huge complex which covers over 750,000 square feet and is now the official residence of the President of the Czech Republic. Parts of it date back to the year 870. We were only able to see a small portion of the castle complex--you could easily have spent an entire day there.

The church spires of the castle loom in early morning sunlight

The Prague Castle courtyard

The exterior of St. Vitus Cathedral--very Gothic! Construction began on the present day cathedral in 1344.

St. Vitus is the largest and most important church in the Czech Republic.

Stunning details adorned the exterior as well as the interior.

Some scenes from the interior of St. Vitus Cathedral, Prague



We also saw some of the lovely buildings in the city's Jewish quarter.

A sobering visit... On the afternoon of the second day, we could choose from different excursions. We debated about going to the  Terezín Concentration Camp as we had been to Dachau in Germany back in 2011 and it was very difficult. But, I'm so glad we went as this was a very different camp and gave us a much fuller picture of the extent that the Nazi's went to "fool the world" as to what really transpired in the camps. This concentration camp was used for propaganda and put forth to the world as a "wonderful cultural experience for Jewish families."

Our first sight at Terezín was the garden remembering both Jewish and Christian victims.

I learned that the stones placed on Jewish graves like the one above is a way to honor the dead by letting them know someone has been visiting them and that their memory continues to live on through us.

Don't let the idyllic setting fool you--the small fortress was a notorious Gestapo prison for five years.

From 1940-1945, the Small Fortress served as a Gestapo-run prison for political prisoners of all faiths.

The other part of Terezín was where the Jewish people were imprisoned. It looks almost like a college campus, doesn't it? That is why this particular concentration camp was used for propaganda when the Red Cross visited. The Nazis would show them nicely painted rooms with not more than three people living in each and have the children put on little musical concerts while, in reality, prisoners were crammed into tiny, filthy living quarters. The Nazis even set up a shaving room with dozens of sinks and mirrors... the only problem--the sinks weren't actually hooked up to water! It was all for show when the Red Cross visited (and was thoroughly deceived). Over 35,000 people died in Terezín. An additional 88,000 died after being transferred from Terezín to extermination camps such as Auschwitz. At the end of WWII, there were only 17,247 survivors of the 155,000+ souls who had passed through Terezín.

The remains of a secret Jewish meeting room at Terezín

In the museum there were many haunting displays and drawings

Thousands of children were transported to live in barracks at Terezín. Some of the artwork they did is showcased at the top of a stairway in the museum.

The names and birth dates of the children of Terezín

In 1968, when I was 13 years old, my parents traveled to Europe and brought back booklets on some of the concentration camps they had visited. These left a lasting impression on me... I remember pouring over them trying to make any sense at all of how such things could have existed a mere 25 years before. I remember writing term papers and essays on the Holocaust and concentration camps. To this day, I'm still reading about that horrific time in history and am still as saddened and shocked as I was as a 13-year-old. We must never allow ourselves to forget...

Final impressions of Prague...  ***We thought the people we met were very open and friendly. That being said--you do need to be careful as there are a lot of pickpockets (and we were almost a victim as we stupidly stood on a crowded street corner looking at a map!) in the touristy areas. ***I loved the sound of the Czech language--there are so many soft "shhh" sounds and it is very soothing. ***In a way, the Czech Republic is just coming into its own after all those years of Nazi and Soviet domination. It was so interesting to hear from the guides about the "Velvet Revolution" in 1989 when 41 years of one-party rule finally ended for the Czech people. To hear them talk about their lack of freedom and the poor quality of living under Soviet rule, makes me so very grateful to have grown up in a free country.

I doubt if many of you are still with me at this point--that was a long one! But, I like to document my travels as well as my stitching here because I know I won't remember the highlights when I'm old(er) and gray(er)! Thank you all for your sweet comments on my previous post--I was really happy to hear from so many new readers last time... Welcome to each one of you! I'll be back in a couple weeks with (hopefully) my finished summer piece and the next installment of my river cruise adventure... Any ideas of where the next destination will be? Take care everyone--and Happy August! Bye for now...

55 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

Your Snowy ornament is precious, Carol. I totally enjoyed your pictures from your Prague portion before your cruise. It sounded and looked like you had a wonderful time there. Thank you for sharing it with us!

Sandy said...

I am still with you. I love traveling vicariously with others. It gives me ideas for one day. We moved to Germany in 1961. I was just a baby so of course I don't remember, but I know my parents were worried about moving there while so much was going on with Berlin. I still have my globe that was purchased with S&H green stamps and it has East and West Germany on it.
Now, that ornament is just adorable and that little snowflake makes it. I am definitely going to have to remember that for one. You are so creative. I need to make a collage of all my concert and football game tickets that I have since the 70s.

Stasi said...

Your trip looks like it started off great, though I know the visit to Terezin was very sobering....and yes, we must never forget! My great grandparents were both from Czeckoslovakia, though I don't know much about them.
Your sons collage is very creative...foreign money is so much more interesting/colorful than ours.

Sandra said...

Beautiful embroidery work, Carol. I love the way you finish them off!
So lovely for you to travel to Europe. Beautiful architecture and I was really touched by the tradition of leaving stones on Jewish graves. such a beautiful thought behind that.

Arlene G said...

Thanks so much for your generous give away Carol. I emailed my address to you! Your trip looks amazing. I enjoy arm chair travel so I loved seeing all the pictures and reading about the places. Your ornament is too cute. I love the way you added the little snowflake in the corner.

Vickie said...

Snowy Winter is darling Carol. Your youngest son's money collage is clever. I loved traveling to Prague with you! I have read several books about Terezin. What a powerful experience you two had there.

LaRue said...

So enjoyed all the pictures and happenings of your trip. You have an amazing blog and beautiful stitching.

Terri said...

Love your stitching! Beautiful as always. And I love your son's project. A great idea!

What a great anniversary present from your children!! Looking forward to the next installment :-)

Vicki said...

What an awesome trip! Thank you for "taking us along" with you.
Snowy Winter is lovely.

Tricia B said...

Love your photos, Carol! youve done a beautiful job travelogueing your trip and sharing it with us! i especially liked the Terezin (spelling?) part as we did not see that. Very sobering and yes, should never be forgotten. Love your son’s craft! Very creative! Someone got your crafty genes! Thank you for sharing! Looking forward to more photos! xo Tricia

butterfly said...


Lovely new Christmas stitch Carol very pretty, and your summer one looks very nice.
Hope you enjoyed your trip what great photos .
It always takes me a couple of weeks to get over a trip.
Lots of hugs .

Linda said...

Congrats are the adorable finish Carol. Loved reading about your trip and seeing the great pictures.

Linda

Meari said...

Another great finish. Your trip sounds so interesting. Coincidentally, I ordered a set of watercolor paints from Prague a few weeks back.

Barb said...

Oh Carol - what a wonderful surprise to find your new post today! Your stitched piece from LHN “Snowy Winter” is so beautiful. Your finishes are always so charming, clever and imaginative - beautiful work!! I have to also comment on your son’s truly clever idea with what he did with all of that money from his travels. It’s so colorful and really a wonderful reminder of all of his trips & work - really a treasure.

Thank you, too, for sharing the start of your trip to cruise the Danube. I really enjoyed all the pictures you shared of Prague - what a wonderful experience for you & your husband. I found those to be really beautiful and the Nazi “camps” very interesting - a reminder of how truly horrible that part of history was for so many.

I am looking forward to reading more and enjoying all the photos you can share with us. What a wonderful gift your sons gave their parents - truly memorable and very, very special.

Ms. Wright said...

You didn’t lose me, Care! I love all the details and images that you included about your trip! I would have been so frustrated if I discovered the rope was missing on the pillow. Honestly, I probably would have just glued some thread on. 🙃 Love the images of the clock in Prague! So intricate. I remember perusing mom and dad’s materials from their trip as well. I didn’t really understand the significance of the camps until later. Glad you were able to ward off pickpockets! So tricky!

The Crafty Creek said...

Prague looks beautiful, it's on my list of places to go and having read your blog I think it needs to move up a few places on my list!

ndavis said...

Thank you so much for taking me along on your vacations this year and sharing your stitching. I look forward to our next vacation and your next stitching work of art!
Nan in Central PA

Maggie said...

Well I was still with you Carol, I really enjoyed seeing your photos of Prague, it bought back wonderful memories, we have been twice, once as a whole family towards Christmas time and we got to experience the wonderful Christmas markets and the first time we went was around February time. I would definitely go back again :-) Prague was Hitlers favourite city and he would not allow it to be bombed, at least we can see why he liked it so much, as for the Holocaust well of course we should never ever forget what happened, like you I am still shocked and horrified that something like that could have ever happened and we must still talk about it and teach younger generations about it so that it never happens again.
You have wonderful sons, that was truly a great gift.
Your stitching and finishing is as lovely as ever and what a great idea your son had to display all his unused notes, clearly he has inherited your crafting gene :-)

sandi s said...

I read to the end and I’m so glad I did. I love seeing your pictures ,they are wonderful. I’ve been to Dachau and it was such a sad place. It breaks my heart that all that went on and no one helped in a big way. The people who did help were so brave. Enjoy your trip. Hugs,

Katie said...

I love your new ornament. What a beautiful finishing idea. Never thought of that. Thanks for explaining. I had to read it out loud a few times and went Oh Duh haha. I don't know what design you are doing that has that adorable seagull but I love it of course haha. Congrats Arlene! I love the money framed. How neat to see it all in one place. Pretty expensive though haha. Thanks for sharing your photos of another place I won't be traveling to. It's so much fun to see it through your post. Gorgeous photos!! Wherever you go next I will enjoy reading about I'm sure.

Shelly said...

Snowy Winter is really pretty. I like the extra touch of the snowflake in the corner. I'm pretty much over the hot temps but also the humidity! Along with our monsoons is the humidity. I've been looking like Janis Joplin lately! This Arizona-born stitcher is not used to humidity but the land is starting to green up. Love your pictures and words about your trip. I may never ever go to the Czech Republic. Any place that is much older than the U.S. fascinates me. Thanks Carol, I hope you have caught up on some sleep!

Donna said...

What a wonderful trip! I absolutely loved all your pictures. Your ornament turned out so pretty. Thanks for the great blog and have a nice August.

MartinaM said...

The new pattern looks great again, great finish, and as a highlight the little snowflake. I'm excited.
It must have been a wonderful trip, thanks for the beautiful pictures.
We visited the camp Bergen Belsen 4 years ago on a holiday, it moved me very much back then, all the stories of the murdered people. Good that you can visit such camps today to remember that such a thing should not happen anymore.
Have a good time.
Hugs, Martina

Gabi said...

Your new ornament is precious. Wonderful finish as ususal.
The report about Prague is very interesting. I still remember the stories my PiL told us. The lived northern of Prague and my husband was born there. They were kicked off the country in 1946 with only a suitcase. They only returned for a short visit.
I do hope that such a bad time will never happen again.
Thanks for sharing your impressions.
Have a wonderful day.
Hugs, Gabi

Christine said...

What a gorgeous ornament.
I've been to Prague in the Winter - it's actually still pretty crowded then, but I imagine not quite as much as in the height of summer

Marilyn said...

A very cute finish.
Your trip looks like a fantastic time with a lot of history.
The architecture is beautiful!
Marilyn

LaNelle said...

Carol, Fabulous blog post!! Love seeing your travel post & reading they have so much wonderful information 😘
Stitching & finishing is gorgeous...many blessings!

Pat said...

I love reading about your travels. The pictures are wonderful as a glimpse of another country from someone who was there and taken those pictures. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Your ornament finish is so very cute. Will be watching for your August ornament.

Christel said...

Le coussinet de Noël est magnifique, comme d'habitude. Le patit oiseau sur la broderie commençée est tout mignon.
Merci de nous permettre de visiter Prague à travers tes photos. C'est un voyage magnifique... Les camps de concentration, que de gens ont terriblement soufferts. Mon arrière grand-mère a connu la déportation elle n'a jamais voulu nous en parler. Je pense que cela faisait remonter trop de choses terribles qu'elle avait vécu là bas.
Amitiés de France,
Christel
http://toilesetfils.blogspot.com

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

That was a fascinating post. Starting with the pleasantness of that lovely pillow finish! I really like the darker fabrics.
Your anniversary trip to Prague sounds incredible, so much history, some beautiful and some sad. The saddest thing is that it is being repeated in this century. People need to stand up and say "No, not in my name".

Which other parts of Europe do you plan to visit next? You have your 45th Anniversary to plan for now!

Sherri said...

This might be your cutest ornament yet! So cute, but I always like all of them. Enjoyed the picture walk of your trip. Thanks for sharing.

Faith... said...

What a great ornament and finish on it! Your summer piece looks like it maybe at a beach or a dock that is chained off.

Congratulations Arlene!!

Prague is so beautiful that it is almost easy to forget the horror that happened there. Truly a terrible thing and it is so hard to comprehend how people can be that cruel to one another. I pray that we never see anything like that again; anywhere!

Faith... said...

Forgot to say I love the currency collage! I guess he will never be broke again!

Manuela said...

Hello Carol,
a wonderful new Christmas finish. It is adorable.
Vielen Dank fürs mitnehmen auf eure Rundtour durch Prag. Ich war vor vielen Jahren einen Tag mal in Prag und auf dem Marktplatz waren wir auch. Manches habe ich wiedererkannt.
Freue mich schon auf den nächsten Reisebericht.
Big Hugs, Manuela

Mary said...

Carol!! What a wonderful trip!!! I just love seeing the photos of the different and exquisite architecture. Amazing to see a Cathedral that was started in 1344!!! And those clocks!!! Did you take a carriage ride? What a fantastic trip your sons gifted you with. I wish I knew you were going to Czech Republic.. did you buy chance have a sausage called (phonetic spelling) eat-a-nitz-a?? I have been on the search for years to find them. They are the best sausage ever...


How emotionally draining it must have been to visit Terezin. I think I would be in tears the entire time I was there. It's good to know the history and god forbid it's never repeated.

Thanksgiving week is a great time to travel as it's a low travel time for Americans and prices are way down. I prefer to travel in off seasons to avoid crowds.

I just love your finish on your stitch!!! It's adorable and does look more complicated than it is...I think I could even manage it!! Have a great weekend. Mary

Julie said...

A very sweet Christmas ornament and finished so beautifully as always. The little snowflake at the corner is a super addition.
A truly fabulous gift from your boys, what a special treat, filled with wonderful sights even though tinged with sadness as some of the sights you saw.
xx

Susan Lankford said...

Hi Carol...I'm surprised you have time to cross stitch anything with your travels...so enjoyed the pictures and travelogue!

Love your finish on Snowy Winter and for info on Terezin...I had never heard of it!

Susan

Ele said...

Such a lovely finish Carol. Thank you for sharing your photos and impressions of Prague. It's a wonderful town, I remember how magic the old town can seem in the evenings. Glad you had a good time.
Hugs

Jutta said...

Dear June,
finally it is much cooler again here in Germany, I enjoy August on the terrace and write e-mails and comments ;-)
Your winter embroidery is wonderful, especially on the black fabric the pattern looks great.
And your little summer embroidery will definitely be a part of the beach, isn't it?
Thanks for the great photos from Prague, I love the city and should visit it again.
Have a nice Sunday, Jutta

Jutta said...

Sorry, Carol, before I had visited the blog of June ;-)

RJ said...

Carol, I love your snowy stitched piece. The finish is precious. I love how you added the snowflake in the right lower corner...it made your ornament so special. And, I always love when you stitch on black...it really makes the stitch pop!

Your trip look AMAZING! I'm so anxious to hear all about the whole trip as my husband and I would love to do something like this one day. What a beautiful gift from your loving sons. The memories will last a lifetime.

My internet has been down (guys working in our neighborhood all week) so I'm just catching up with everyone. Hope you have a great week. RJ@stitchingfriendsforever

Leonore Winterer said...

Oh, Prague! How nice. I went there maybe seven years ago on a business trip - we didn't have much time for sight seeing, but we did see the clock and the castle. Did you see that famous bridge with all the street musicians at night? I seem to have forgotten the name...

I only went to a concentration camp once on a school trip, but it was truly devastating. I can't understand how people can go there and post selfies about it now...

I'm looking forward for the next installment of your cruise very much. I love the idea of river cruises, but never went on one. I have no idea where you might have gone next, but I suspect you eventually made it to Vienna, another city I love.

Andrea said...

Love your sweet ornament.

Oh the first part of your trip looks wonderful (apart from the concentration camp). I think we need to know what happened and learn from it but still today it looks a bleak place with many unhappy memories. I'm looking forward to the next instalment.

Have a good week.

Cathy H. said...

Love the snowy ornament and your finishing. Clever idea to add the extra snowflake! Congratulations on finally getting to take your trip! The buildings are beautiful fascinating. As I read about the concentration camp, I thought of how we as Americans take our freedom so lightly! Looking forward to the rest of your journey!9

Jennifer said...

I am so glad I follow you on Instagram because I am so far behind on blog reading! What great pictures of Prague - I haven’t been there yet, but hear that it is really a wonderful city - so glad you had a good visit there. Thanks for sharing the concentration camp pictures and stories too. I have visited a few in Germany and they are so sad and sobering, but I think important places to see. I just finished reading The Nightingale, it was such a moving story about life during the war...you’ve probably read it already as it has been out a few years, but if not, I recommend it. Nice to see your little seagull - I don’t know the pattern, but I am guessing it is LHN? Look forward to seeing it finished soon!

Daniela Bencúrová said...

Dear Carol, you were in Prague! That's where my 3 children live. By air line less than 230 miles to my home :-)
Hugs!

Halland House Gifts said...

Prague is stunningly beautiful, Carol. What a contrast to the concentration camp. Thank you for allowing us to live vicariously through your vacation. I really enjoyed it. Judy

Margaret said...

I'm way behind in commenting! It's wonderful to see so many pictures and to hear of your experiences on the start of your travels! I would have felt the same way -- iron curtain and all that. Looking forward to more!

Wanda McColl said...

Hi Carol!

What an amazing trip you had! So many incredible things to see. I remember when your sons gave you this for your 40th anniversary and am so happy you and your husband were able to go.

Your ornament is as cute as can be! I love the added snowflake in the corner and your finish is just perfection. I have been trying to guess your stitching project but cannot figure it out but I really like what I see so far!

I hope you are having a wonderful August and are getting lots of stitching time.
hugs, Wanda

kcsguys said...

Hi Carol,
Finally found a moment to read your latest blog and was entertained and touch by your very descriptive recollections. I felt as though I had experienced it too,which is great since I've never been out of the US except for Canada. The accounts of the prison camp were riveting, and so sad. You are so right that we must Never forget.
I love your snowman and would love to create that look with the different fabrics, but I'd need a diagram... visual learner here! 😣
Enjoy the rest of your Summer....oh, and I'm thinking that bird might be a seagull??
Hugs,
Kathy

Unknown said...

What a wonderful blog post Care! What an adventure you had. I recently was reading a book that had Terezin mentioned in it, so that was especially interesting to me. I'd never heard that about the stones and found that really touching. The trip sounds wonderful and so proud that you two managed all on your own! Love that Steve is still being creative ...still have some of his early drawings for me!!
Love you,
Sue

marly said...

There ya go! I found the post. What a lovely gift from your sons. Looks like you had a wonderful vacation! My cousin visited Dachau and Auschwitz. It took her a very long time to recover from what she experienced on that trip. The sight of the shoes was never far from her thoughts. And yet we have teachers and young people denying the atrocities. Growing up, a neighbor who survived and was tattooed as a child, would not speak of it or loss of family. I did not know all the details of Terezin.

Meg said...

I have gotten so far behind on blog reading, but I am catching up! Loved this post. Wow... your July ornament is a beauty. I took a picture of the screen so I can save it in my "cross stitch inspiration" folder. :-) I absolutely love everything about the finish, especially how you wove baker's twine through the lace.

Your photos of Prague are stunning. Did you run into many people who spoke English? That is usually the first thing I think of when planning a faraway vacation, or when my mom chooses to travel somewhere (she is in Japan right now).

Isn't it a shock to come home? It's hard to let go of the beautiful architecture and return to a Walmart or Walgreens on every other block.

Heartbreaking photos/stories of the concentration camps. I'm so glad you shared them, though. I had never heard about Terezin. I don't want to venture into politics because it's so easy to offend people these days, but I fear history repeating itself. We cannot forget!

Claire said...

A beautiful and sobering post, Carol. Thanks so much for all the work you put into your blog. I love visiting. One of my best friends left today for Prague. The city looks beautiful. Freedom and quality of life is such a blessing. How wonderful it would be if everyone could experience it. Perhaps the people of Prague are now a bit closer to doing just that. I just loved seeing the buildings. Thank you.
Claire

marie said...

i visited Prague too in 2018 with my daughter ! we enjoyed it a lot, even if it was SO cold there !
marie