Sunday, November 28, 2010

Farewell to autumn...












Hello everyone! Well, I got through Thanksgiving, but, oh, was I wiped out by the end of the day. Having 23 people at my table was more like feeding a small army than a family...All went well, except Mr. Tom Turkey decided to be "fashionably late" to our feast--actually an hour and a half late! That big old 22-pound bird would just not get done! I don't think anyone noticed the late dinner hour (around 7:45 PM) except my husband and me who kept frantically checking every 10 minutes to see whether or not we could safely serve the turkey without sending everyone to the hospital with food poisoning! When we finally sat down, I was able to seat 20 of us at two long tables pushed together that I had set up in my sunroom (as you can see in the photo) and my darling six-year old triplet great-nieces sat at the kitchen counter. All in all, it seemed to be a big success, but I'll be relieved to have a break next year...

One of the highlights of my Thanksgiving was when one of my triplet great-nieces sweetly asked, "Aunt Carol, did you make that?" as she pointed to a very old (2004) Sue Hillis autumn stitching. I told her that I did and she said, "Ohhhh"--quite admiringly so I asked her if she would like to see my other autumn pieces (it's never too early to get a future stitcher addicted, is it?!). I then gave her a little tour of my autumn pieces and thought I might as well show them to my blogging friends as well...



This Bent Creek piece called "Leaf" was one of the first times I used over-dyed threads when I stitched it back in 2005. You see, I had a period of about 10 years when I gave up stitching altogether and didn't take it up again until 2003. I was just too busy with remodeling our house, raising the kids, work, etc. So when I returned, the world of over-dyed threads, hand-dyed fabrics, and such amazingly intricate patterns was brand new to me. I was like a kid in a candy store! Stitching had come a long, long way from the teddy bears, country geese, and quilts that I remembered from the early 90s...



Next up on my autumn stitching "tour" is, of course, a Prairie Schooler seasonal sampler. This one was stitched in 2008 and is from Book No. 123: "Country Seasons." It is one of my all-time favorites--I just love the face on the moon, the turkey running through the pumpkin patch, and the strange looking little squirrel gnawing on an acorn in the tree branch. I think this color pallet (that is seen so frequently in PS designs) is one reason I love their creations so much.



Next, I have yet another Prairie Schooler piece from Book No. 50: "Prairie Seasons." I really never meant to keep it in this frame--I just stuck it in there when I finished it back in 2007 and there it's stayed. Still looking for the perfect frame... Don't you love the checkerboard tail on the squirrel? I'll have to say the pumpkin-head scarecrow doesn't seem to be doing a very good job of scaring away those crows, does he?










The final fall piece that I showed to my great-niece on her tour was the November turkey from Prairie Schooler Book No. 90: "Spring & Fall." I think she loved this turkey almost as much as I do. I finished him up in 2009 as one of my "Ornament a Week" pieces and have used him in my November blog header this month. It was such fun sharing all my autumn stitches with my little niece and I do hope she develops a love of stitching as she gets older...







Just look at what I got from my niece (the mother of the triplets) and her mom, my dear sister-in-law, as a hostess gift on Thanksgiving: a wonderfully monogrammed stitching tote! Don't you love it? I told them they couldn't have given me a more perfect gift and they can be assured that it will be put to very good use in the future... There are two little mesh pockets on both ends to hold floss, needles, and small charts and lots of room inside for my fabric, scissors, and larger charts--perfect!



A special thank you goes out to Veronica at Veronica's Stitching Vault for this lovely scissor fob which I won in her recent giveaway. The purple beads are so beautiful and the tiny seahorse charm at the end makes it even more special. I loved what Veronica wrote to me about this fob...She said that when she first started designing it, it began with one focal bead which she thought was rather ugly, and yet the finished fob ended up being one her favorites. She went on to say how this taught her to open her mind to possibilities. What a great attitude and one that I'm going to try to keep in mind... So thank you, Veronica--I truly love your gift. And it looks just great on this new pair of Gingher scissors that I recently treated myself to!

I'm going to leave you with the photo of my cookie tray from Thanksgiving dessert. This year, my oldest son, baked some of his scrumptious chocolate chip cookies as well... I do love to bake and always look forward to this time of year when I can bake to my heart's content! My family is always very appreciative of the cookies, the pecan, cherry, apple, and pumpkin pies, and the pumpkin-cranberry bread that I make each Thanksgiving. I think if, for some reason, they weren't on our menu each year, there would be a major revolt! It was wonderful to see so many family members, but my very favorite part of the holiday weekend was waking up each morning knowing my visiting sons were all safe and sound asleep in their childhood bedrooms. There was just something so comforting in that thought...

Well, that's about it for my autumn stroll down stitching memory lane. I've carefully packed them up and stored them away until next fall when I will delightedly "rediscover" them! I know that winter doesn't officially start until December 21st, but, for me, the first of the month always seems like the beginning of winter. I'm looking forward to decorating for Christmas and envy those of you who have already started (or finished!)... Hopefully, I can do a bit each week and now that Thanksgiving is over I will finally have some stitching time again. Oh, how I've missed it over the past week or so...

Wishing you a delightful start to December--thank you all for dropping in, saying "hi," and continuing to inspire me with your creativity and stitching. Bye now...

59 comments:

Annie said...

I guess it was a ton of work, but sounds like a wonderful family gathering. Your autumn stitching collection is fabulous and I like your 'journaling' with the story of each piece.

I thought I was still full from Thanksgiving, but those cookies have me drooling!

Cindy's Stitching said...

I was missing your posts Carol. It is your story telling I enjoy along with all of your pictures. I was looking each day to see where you were. I knew you had a huge crowd over. I cannot imagine cooking for that many people. What a giving person you are. The stroll down your lane was wonderful. It is your gift to tell stories like you do. It is sad to say I don't have any Fall stitching pieces to display this time of year. I will have to work on that. Christmas is my favorite holiday I have a bunch of those. I just finished putting up my second tree and all the trimmings. It is the first time in my life I have ever been done this early. Being out of work to Dec. 18 means I have a lot of time on my hands. COOKIES, I am the cookie monster in my house. Yours always look so yummy.

Margaret said...

Wow, I'm so impressed with you -- 23 people?! Wow! And a 22 pound turkey -- no wonder it didn't want to be done. lol! Love all your fall stitching. So beautiful! I love PS too -- it always has a special place in my heart. Love the stitching tote and the fob too! And all those cookies! You are quite the baker!

Jan said...

Wow, such alot of work, your table is gorgeous though, as is that platter of assorted yummy cookies!!

Your autumn stitching pieces all framed, are timeless ones...don't you just love displaying these each year? If it weren't for Christmas so close on the heels of Thanksgiving each year, I would not want to be taking down my autumn decor!

Thanks for sharing, everything is just so lovely!

Jessica said...

I loved the tour of your Autumn pieces. It is my favorite season and feels like it goes too fast.

The cookie tray looks fabulous!

Lisa V said...

All your Autumn pieces are just wonderful.
You have such a lovely collection to display.
LISA V

Sweet Sue said...

Lovely pics, scrummy cookies and great tote (other side say *Dreams*?) You deserve a very looooong rest... or should we say induced coma:) xoxo

Anonymous said...

What a great festivity celebration. Your stitching pieces are beautiful. Love the prairie schooler pieces, this is one of my favorite designers. I need to get more of my pieces done. You are great inspiration.
The cookies look delicious even by the web. I have been wanting to get my new spritz gun out and broken in. Now I know I will. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Myra said...

Carol, your table in the sunroom is gorgeous and I bet no one cared that dinner was late. I know you enjoyed having the guys home. How cute that your niece was interested in your stitching. I know I enjoyed seeing all of your autumn pieces.

Lynn said...

I loved this post Carol! It gave me such a homey feeling. Your stitched pieces are wonderful and seeing all those yummy cookies has got me in the mood to bake. I get that same feeling you do when all my boys are home and under the same roof again. It's so wonderful having them all there together again!

Katrina said...

Wow, what a pretty table!!! Love it and all the stitched pieces are so pretty.

Jackie's Stitches said...

You have a wonderful sunroom, your table is beautiful as is the autumnal stitching. I love that your nieces are interested in what you made - that is priceless!

Your cookie tray looks virtually the same as my Christmas baking. I don't do brownies or the iced cookies and my raspberry cookies are a bit different but otherwise we're on the same page with our holiday baking!

Angela said...

OK, first of all my mind is still stuck on that cookie tray but I do want to say how much I love the PS Autumn pieces you have stitched too :) A cookie would go good with my tea right now though! LOL. Glad to hear you had a lovely Thanksgiving and I'm exhausted just hearing how many you served, wow!

Deborah said...

Great post! Love all the fall stitches. PS is one of my favorites. I wish I had that tray of cookies at my home.

Anonymous said...

ah man I want one of those bags!!

Nima said...

It was so nice to read your thanksgiving post...glad that you had a lovely time..so nice to see your gorgeous autumn finishes

Rowyn said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving, and how nice that someone showed an interest in your stitching. Here's hoping you have a future stitcher waiting in the wings.

All of your autumn pieces are lovely, as is your new stitching bag and scissor fob.

Your cookie tray looks verrrrry tempting. :-)

Have a great week.

Edit said...

It sounds like lots of work for the Thanksgiving dinner, but sure it was wonderful to have your family together. Next time you have to serve dinner around that hour you can tell your guests that you are eating according to Spanish timetable. Here dinner never starts before 8 pm, but if eating out in a restaurant then even later. This was one of the hardest things for me to get used to...

Your autumn pieces look all beautiful I love the PS ones the most, I am simply in love with the colors they are using, the designs...

I started stitching when I was a child, then stopped for about 10 years and took it up again during university (when trying to relax a bit between two exams during our 7 week exam periods). For a while I was stitching from books and magazines we had already but one day we discovered the world of stitching blogs and with it designers like PS, Bent Creek, Lizzie Kate, LHN, CCN... and a whole new world opened for me. Since then I just can't stop stitching :)

Have a nice week and enjoy decorating your home for Christmas,

Edit

Lesleyanne said...

I loved your Autumn tour - all your pieces are gorgeous. Love the cookie tray, scissor fob and tote bag too.

Michelle said...

You had a busy thanksgiving but it sounds like a wonderful time was shared by all. I loved all your autumn pieces especially the Bent Creek one - well done. Oh my goodness your stitching bag looks wonderful what a thoughtful gift and those cookies looks just lovely. I do understand what you mean about your 'boys' sleeping safe and sound in their beds. It is a comforting thought.

Cheryl said...

Oh wow, i really want to eat a lot/all of those cookies! Amazing!
Love all your autumn stitching pics

Denise said...

Ok, I especially love the first autumn piece. Then I scrolled down and fell in love with every dang-gum one of them!

Your table looks amazing - 23 people. Can't even imagine! I had 9 and was exhausted.

And the tote and scissor fob. Where did they get the tote? It's perfect! And the fob - love it too!

Smiles - Denise

Christina said...

Wow, 23 people?! My oven wouldn't fit a turkey big enough to feed 23! I bet you had an amazing day though with such a crowd.

Your Autumnal pieces are just gorgeous.

The scissor fob that you won is beautiful, purple is my favourite colour and the seahorse at the end is so cute!

Heidi said...

Hi Carol! Thanks for my welcome back to blogland. I am looking forward to things becoming normal again. It will now be time for me to start my Christmas decorating soon. That while not even being done with decorating the new house period. :-)

What a large family gathering! The table looks beautiful and I love how your little grand niece asked about your stitching. What lovely things you have stitched for autumn over the years.

Hugs from Holland ~
Heidi

riona said...

Loved the tour ... and I find it amazing that so many of the pieces are ones I have stitched as well. Prarie Schooler has a large following ... and with good reason!

Shari said...

wonderful blog post.....as always...you have a way with words....so beautifully put.
I loved the journey thru your fall pieces....with the triplets!!!!! Wonder if our triplet boys will show that interest some day?!!?
Relax & breath now......

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Oh Carol, your home is beautifully done, gorgeous! And all your wonderful Autumn stitched things...GREAT!

Tricia T said...

What a fun post, Carol! I love your gorgeous table all ready for your guests, and your amazing cookie tray, and the fantastic hostess gift.

I hope your niece becomes a stitcher! After seeing all those lovely pieces that you've done, how could she resist??? :=)

Catherine said...

Carol,

What a beautiful post! What I remember most is your comment about having your sons sleeping in their beds! Your table and decorations all looked so lovely! And if anyone was upset about the turkey being late - it was probably just because they wanted to get at that plate of cookies!!

Hope you have a wonderful week and find some time to stitch!

Mavi. said...

A beautiful table for a party with family dear.
Beautiful autumn your work.
And very tasty your precious cookies.
Greetings.

Rachel S-H said...

What a lovely post. The cookies look scrumptious! And your stitching is lovely! Happy Holidays!

BrendaS said...

Carol --
What a beautiful table for all your family and guest! I can see why you are wiped out.

Love the "tour" of your autumn designs. I LOVE all of them.

Great gift from your niece too. Just perfect for all your stitching:)

The cookies look very good too:)))

Have a great week.

Kay said...

Your table looked so beautiful, those desserts look too yummy! Your stitching is so beautiful.

Meari said...

Loved your "Autumn Tour"! Your Thanksgiving table looked gorgeous, as did the cookies :)

Congrats on winning Veronica's giveaway.

Hazel said...

Wow you must have a humungous sized house to fit in all those people!!! Looks fantastic as does the yummy cookies. Love the autumn finishes too. Perfect. Have a peaceful advent. x

Lois said...

I so enjoyed reading this post Carol. I'm glad everything well over Thanksgiving even if you had your moments with an stubborn turkey who wouldn't cook! I enjoyed seeing your autumn pieces. Today, I put the little bits and pieces I have had out away. While I'm not yet ready for Christmas decorations and a tree I am ready to move into winter decorating. Love the stitching tote bag - what a perfect gift! Lovely giveaway win too.

Teresa S. said...

I love the PS Turkey and your cookie tray looks delightful! I hope it was a wonderful weekend!

Olga said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Thank you for the interesting autumn stitching "tour". Your autumn pieces are just gorgeous!

Mary said...

Thank you so much for sharing your Thanksgiving photos. Your table looked magnificent and I longed to be invited. Australians generally don't "do" Thanksgiving, but Christmas is fast approaching and I just love the traditions of the festive season, although I don't think a 22 lb turkey would fit in my oven !!
Your stitching, as always, is beautiful.
I guess Mothers never lose that amazing emotion when all their children are safely together under one roof.
Thanks again Carol for sharing.
Mary

Annette said...

Love to go on stitching tour with you and your niece. You stitched so many beautifull pieces. I hope in a few years also to have so many lovely stitching finishes..
You had a fun dinner I read... 23 people, who and you cooked it all alone (with DH) bravo!!!
I love the bag you got, beautifull colors, and so easy to use, have fun with it.
Beautifull sciossor fob, anjoy using it.

And Ow what a jummy cookies!!!

valerie said...

What an inviting dinner table. It's a beautiful setup but I am sure that feeding that many people is a lot of work! I have a hard enough time feeding myself!

Love all your autumn stitching and that platter of cookies...oh my! If I lived closer, you'd find me on your doorstep all ready with my cup of tea. It all looks wonderful!

I'm glad your grand-niece is all interested in your stitching. You may convert her yet!

Melanie said...

I love seeing all your pictures. Everything looks so wonderful and I'm totally envious over that bag! Oh my goodness, THAT BAG! It is divine. What a GREAT gift.

Beth said...

Love love love the frame you used for November Turkey - beautiful and rich!

Dani - tkdchick said...

Wow you set such a beautiful table and it would of been so cool to sit there with a room of family and clebrate thanks for everyone and everything.

What gorgeous fall pieces you have!

That tote is wonderful and fob magnificent!

Mmm that cookie tray has me drooling! When I lost my weight I stopped baking. I used to make a mean cookie myself!

Veronica said...

Your framed autumn pieces are all so gorgeous!

Dang! That's quite a feat, hosting for 23 people. Love your huge tray of cookies. My mouth is watering from just looking at it :)

That's a cool stitching bag. Love the cute Stitching word on it.

You're very welcome on the fob. The Gingher scissors that you put it on is pretty.

Brigitte said...

Oh Carol, no wonder that you felt like wiped out a bit after the festivities. I've never had so many guests to cook for. That's truely heroic, lol. Those cookies make my mouth water, I'd like to put my hand through the monitor and just grab some, one of each kind. Ot maybe two, lol.
Your autumn pieces are such a dream, and oh there are three PS pieces among them. I do love them all.

Bekca said...

I hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving, even if it was a lot of hardwork. All of your Autumn pieces are stunning and I hope your great-niece does catch on to the hobby. Your cookie tray is making my mouth water! Happy stitching to you.

Anonymous said...

Carol,
I absolutely love all your autumn stitching! I just love the colors of fall, don't you?
Your cookies are making my mouth water, I want one ;)
Donna in WV
catsandbeetles@hughes.net

Daisy said...

CArol, I enjoyed the ride for your blog, your wonderful work I loved, cookies are super rich. I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving Day. bag and scissors fob are spectacular.

A big hug
Merry Christmas

Mary said...

Hi Carol,
What a welcoming Thanksgiving home! Everything looks great. No one could miss having a good time.

Your little great niece just may have stitching talent if your stitched treasures appealed to her as they did.
I LOVED seeing them, too!
Your new stitching bag is wonderful. Such a thoughtful gift!

Good thing you took a pic of the cookie tray...I'll bet nothing was left? How delicious!

Happy December. I hope you will have a few relaxing stitching hours in between your decorating :)

*HUGS*

Martine said...

Oh ! Carol ! I love all your autumn stitching !!!!!
What a beautiful table for Thanksgiving !!!! I hope that you had a lovely day with all your family !!!!!
Miam !!!! Your cookies look very good !!!
Happy December Carol !
Hugs

Kathy A. said...

What a lovely Thanksgiving Day post. I feel like a shared the day with you and the walk amongst your beautiful stitching. You have some wonderful treasures there.

Mylene said...

WOW! What beautiful Autumn collection, Carol. Thanks for sharing!

Siobhán said...

I loved seeing all of your autumn stitching, Carol! What a treat that must have been for your niece. I aspire to be able to do that with my stitching... hopefully will work towards it this coming year. For so long, I've had the mindset of "I don't want to spend money on framing something I'll only put out once a year", and now I am regretting that. I'll have to bookmark this blog entry for inspiration! ;)

I'm glad you had such a good Thanksgiving!

Natalia said...

Hello Carol, I've just found your blog through another one I follow (Of Needles, Pins & Stitching Things) and I love it !! Thanks for showing us your Autumn collection. I am just starting mine and yours is an inspiration. You must have had a lovely Thanksgiving in spite of all the work. You are blessed to have your family with you. Mine is far away and I missed them during that time, well... all the time !!. Cookies look yummy too and like you, I do love baking some of them and giving them away as gifts. Thanks for sharing... I'll be back.

Daffycat said...

Dinner for 23? You are. One. Impressive. Woman.

I love all your Autumn pieces. My favorite time of year. I've never seen the Bent Creek one before, it is really sweet. I'm thinking I must find this one and stitch it!

Julie said...

Thanks for sharing your Autumn pieces Carol, i am sure your grand neice was very impresses with Aunt Carols beautiful work, i bet it will be one of those times that stay with her forever, those moments are such precious memories in the future

Your thanksgiving table looks wonderful and the cookie tray delicisous - at least i wont be putting on the pounds just looking at it on the screen here LOL

Love the December header pic

♥ Nia said...

Sounds like a wonderful family time :)
Unfortunately we don't have Thanksgiving around here.

Reading about your great-niece's question made me smile =) Maybe you'll be teaching her how to cross stitch one of these days ;) Beautiful pieces that you have there, lovely collection :)
Loveeeeee your stithcing tote, amazing gift, lucky girl! :D

Pumpkin said...

Wow, that was quite the group you had! Your house is beautiful :o) Glad to hear that all went well. Okay, except Tom Turkey. LOL!

TFS your fall pieces. Yes, it's quite a different in stitching nowadays. I remember the geese and teddy bears. Almost makes me feel old now! ;o)

Your stitching bag is just stunning!!!! What a great hostess gift!

Congrats on your win.

Oh, you just HAD to finish off this post with a picture like that...