Saturday, April 25, 2009

Week Seventeen: Secret Flower Bed


















This week I stitched a piece by The Trilogy aptly named "Secret Flower Bed." If you look closely among the maze of flowers, leaves, and twigs you can spot a wee lady bag, two bumblebees, a small brown bird, a white-tailed bunny, and a teeny-tiny green worm (let me tell you stitching an eye on that little worm was not easy!). I used a natural color 28 count linen with Weeks Dye Works, The Gentle Art Sampler Threads, and DMC floss plus 3 tiny pinkish buttons for accents.

This time of year gardening comes alive in our yard. This past month we have been trying to rebuild the fence around the vegetable garden (or as my husband calls it "the compound"). We have such a problem with deer, groundhogs, and rabbits helping themselves to our freshly sprouting vegetables and flowers that we have to fence the area in and then surround the fence with chicken wire buried deeply enough to keep the burrowing animals out. What a job; but the end result is worth the work with an abundance of lettuce, tomatoes, beans, peas, zucchini, and fresh flowers all summer long...

1 comment:

Myra said...

Very pretty Carol. I love the soft and feminine colors. I want to plant a garden but will have to do as you described if I want to get anything out of it. The bunnies and critters will have their way with it if it isn't fenced.